Overland Track 2010 Solo

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Re: Overland Track 2010 Solo

Postby Nuts » Wed 22 Apr, 2009 7:16 pm

Chris wrote:Just checked, and think the link was maybe already there :D

It's there, looks to need fixing :wink:

(hmmm, just noticed a typo also :roll: )
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 22 Apr, 2009 7:49 pm

Chris wrote:Someone has advised against the day in Lonnie, but in view of the airline you are using it may be useful insurance to have that in reserve.
Casting no aspersions, but they have been known to be rather late :wink:

If you're on time after all and have time to spare, go walking up the Gorge and to Duck Reach and back on the Zig Zag track to recover from your flight. It doesn't compare with the Overland track, but sure beats the CBD :D

This is good advice... there's a couple of great places to swim along the way (so long as your a confident swimmer - the water can be cold and deep, but is great on a hot day).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby jbmarshall90 » Wed 22 Apr, 2009 7:51 pm

Just took out the info on my pack.

I have a Kathmandu Vardo Pack V4. I have the 75L one, which I also bought a day pack to go on the back. The pack and daypack together weigh 2.720 kg's. How does this compare to everyone elses pack weights?

And yes, I'll be making sure that I get travel insurance to cover cancellations / delays at least!
jbmarshall90
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby tasadam » Sat 02 May, 2009 6:47 pm

Firstly, I had a chuckle when I read "Resort" in your post as well. When I hear "resort", I generally think swimming pool, posh hotel, posh over-priced restaurant, etc.
Then I found the resort you are looking for at Lake St Clair...
I have Reached the End of thiS OveRland Track.

Secondly, I concur with only 1 night in Launceston. You fly into Ltn, have a night there, grab any supplies you might need, or arrange for them to be paid for and delivered to your pre-arranged accommodation so they are there waiting for you when you arrive because by then you are going to be well aware of what it is you need.
Then it gives you an extra night on the Overland Track - a rest day, or a day to do one of the bonus options such as Pelion East (or west of you are fit enough), or Ossa, or Oakleigh. Or Cradle as suggested.

Lastly (for now) I agree with the idea of walking out along the lake - being that you are coming from interstate and don't have this terrain where you're at, it is an interesting enough (although a long) day and I would recommend doing it once at least.
Only times I have used the ferry is to expediate trips into Pine Valley and beyond.

If you find yourself completing the OLT without side trips and have an extra day at Lake St Clair, you have day walk options such as Mt Rufus which is a very achievable target.
Or for a more relaxed day, wander up to Shadow Lake and along its shore, even as far as Forgotten Lake as Shadow to Forgotten is flat. If you're keen you could do Little Hugel easily from there, if you feel fit enough. But if going as far as Little Hugel, you might as well stick to the good track and do the Rufus circuit.

When I have stayed at Lake St Clair, I have camped in my tent and grabbed a token for the showers.
They have a restaurant at Lake St Clair too - I remember after a number of days out bush, it was so good sitting in the restaurant with the bread roll trying to decide what to order, we all ordered second rounds of the bread roll. True story. Man that was nice bread.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Previous

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain