Day walk suggestions

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Day walk suggestions

Postby Petew » Mon 23 Sep, 2019 5:47 pm

Hi all.

I walked the OT in August and loved it! Going back again with my partner and kids for her 50th. We will be staying at the Cradle wilderness village and doing day walks. My kids are 10 ad 13 yrs old and love walking too.

Dove lake circuit seems an obvious choice as does a walk up to kitchen hut (weather permitting).

Any suggestions for other stuff to do? I see there is some Tassie devil experience there too. Any good?

Going in a couple of weeks.

Cheers,

Pete
Petew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Re: Day walk suggestions

Postby Tortoise » Mon 23 Sep, 2019 8:01 pm

Hi Pete,
You obviously know your kids, but if they love walking, they should be able to do the 'high level' Dove Lake circuit - weather permitting. Head over Hansens Peak (delightful, with chains to help on the steep rocky bits), up to the Face Track, back down via Lake Wilks, and finish via the normal Circuit track - boat shed etc.

Another good one is Hounslows Heath, again depending on the weather, if they don't mind rougher tracks. Can be muddy, and there are lots of roots to negotiate going up through the forest, but delightful walking across the heath, with different views of Cradle, and no people.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Petew » Mon 23 Sep, 2019 8:39 pm

Thanks Tortoise,

I'll check them out. Hard to know till the day conditions wise but my girls don't mind a bit O muck or hills. They are super keen to see some snow too.
Petew

Postby MrWalker » Tue 24 Sep, 2019 7:34 am

If you take the route Tortoise suggested and have more than one day in teh area, then another option is
Horse Track up to Crater Lookout (great views of crater lake), on to Kitchen Hut, back via Marions Lookout (more great views) and down past Crater Falls.
MrWalker

Postby Petew » Tue 24 Sep, 2019 8:48 am

Cool, thanks for the suggestion.

We will arrive around lunchtime on Saturday and leave Tuesday morning, so 2.5 days there.

Flying in to Hobart early on the Friday, maybe do the waterfall circuit at Mt Field on the way to Launceston. Have a squz at cataract gorge (overnighting in Launceston) and then on to cradle.

Anywhere good to eat at cradle for a birthday dinner?
Petew

Postby matagi » Tue 24 Sep, 2019 7:11 pm

Petew wrote:
Anywhere good to eat at cradle for a birthday dinner?

The restaurant at the Cradle Mountain Hotel (not the Peppers one) is pretty good.
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi

Postby Petew » Tue 24 Sep, 2019 8:09 pm

Thanks matagi, that looks pretty good.
Petew

Postby Petew » Wed 16 Oct, 2019 11:59 am

Hi Mr Walker/Tortoise,

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice.

Day one we walked up the horse track to kitchen hut and back via the OLT. Kids loved it!

Day two we attempted the high dove lake circuit, got to the top of Hansen's peak then a bit further on before the weather (and kids crapped out. The views from the peak were fantastic!

Cheers,

Pete
Petew

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain