OT Side trips difficulty

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

OT Side trips difficulty

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 24 Sep, 2019 5:01 pm

Hi,
I've done a bit of a search before posting, but haven't quite found what I'm looking for, so apologies if this post is redundant.
I'm going to walk the Overland in early November with my 9 year old son.
He's pretty fit, about 1.5m tall, and I'm just wondering how hard side trips up Cradle Mountain, Mt. Ossa, Mt. Oakleigh or Pelion East would be for a kid and his ahem, 'well proportioned' dad.
If the weather's crap, I won't even try going off the track and up a steep hill, but we might luck out while there.
I guess my main concern is exposure and how difficult the boulder scrambling is.
Thanks,
Brian.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Re: OT Side trips difficulty

Postby Overlandman » Tue 24 Sep, 2019 5:38 pm

Hello Brian
Most side trips are easy
Things to watch out for apart from the normal weather issues
Strong winds
Ice if there is a frost
UV from the sun
Jack jumper ants
Reptiles are about already
Leaving your pack at junctions (currawongs)
Regards OLM
Whatever, Wherever, Whenever
Overlandman
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Petew » Tue 24 Sep, 2019 5:47 pm

Pelion east is probably the easiest. Good view from the top

Was there in August and wasn't willing to try Cradle or Ossa without an ice axe.
Petew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Tortoise » Tue 24 Sep, 2019 5:56 pm

Baeng72 wrote:Hi,
I've done a bit of a search before posting, but haven't quite found what I'm looking for, so apologies if this post is redundant.
I'm going to walk the Overland in early November with my 9 year old son.
He's pretty fit, about 1.5m tall, and I'm just wondering how hard side trips up Cradle Mountain, Mt. Ossa, Mt. Oakleigh or Pelion East would be for a kid and his ahem, 'well proportioned' dad.
If the weather's crap, I won't even try going off the track and up a steep hill, but we might luck out while there.
I guess my main concern is exposure and how difficult the boulder scrambling is.
Thanks,
Brian.

G'day Brian. I wish my Dad could have taken me on the OLT when I was 9! I finally got there when I was 19. Your son is probably fitter than me, and is almost my height. He may not have the endurance, though, especially with a big pack.
My rating:

1. Easiest, and the best in some ways: Mt Oakleigh. Tracked to the plateau, then cairned and pad in places. Stunning view in clear weather, looking down on the spires, with its little rock gardens, and out to Pelion West, Ossa etc, with all the layers of plains, valleys and mountains. No boulder scrambling, no exposure until you get to the spires, and then you can choose how close you go or not.

2. Next easiest: Pelion East. Obstacles include scoparia closing in on the track low down (only an issue in wet weather when it will punch holes in your good gear), a very steep narrow path nearing the top (not what I'd class as real exposure, but it depends on one's fear of heights), and a short scramble to the summit itself, which was impossible to climb without ice gear one winter, with 3cm of smooth ice on it. Normally I shouldn't anticipate a problem.

3. Ossa: probably easier than Cradle, as there are a lot less boulders, iirc. There is a scrambly bit up to the plateau itself, but only a little one. Dangerous in ice without microspikes or the like, and snow that can cover deep holes between rocks.

4. (edit)Cradle: Plenty of boulders, which some people find a challenge if they're not used to them. Same goes for ice and snow. The track goes up and over, down and back up to the summit, so it's further than it might look.
Last edited by Tortoise on Wed 25 Sep, 2019 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby rowdy » Wed 25 Sep, 2019 8:51 am

I took my 15 year old daughter along the OT in January this year. She is reasonably fit but not a lot of endurance. We did as many side trips as we could including Cradle Mountain and Mt Ossa. She handled them both fine and thought Ossa was the easier of the two. She would have been a similar height to your son if that helps.
rowdy
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby crollsurf » Wed 25 Sep, 2019 12:50 pm

Guess it depends on the kid but the kids I saw, one of them was around 9 years, were absolutely loving the adventure.
You should get good weather at some stage during the walk so you should get a chance to summit something but no mountain climbing skills required, just common sense and take it easy. Hopefully neither of you have a fear of heights because some sections are safe but steep.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Baeng72 » Wed 25 Sep, 2019 2:05 pm

Thanks for all the replies!
We recently went up the Glasgow Track (about 330m gain in 900m distance) at Mt. Dandenong, which involves using all fours in places for support and we were fine.
Hiked in the Grampians (Pinnacle, Mt Rosea and they were steep, but not much rock hopping...
But that might be child's play compared to what the OT has in store.
Thanks again!
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Petew » Wed 25 Sep, 2019 3:42 pm

It's all about the weather on the OT. Have fun!
Petew

Postby Baeng72 » Wed 25 Sep, 2019 9:22 pm

Petew wrote:It's all about the weather on the OT. Have fun!

Thanks!
Rain isn't too much of a problem if you have wet-weather gear on and it's not muddy/slippery.
When we went up Mt. Rosea it was howling wind and rain was coming in sideways at the top but wasn't slippery so was fun.

Hopefully we get some nice weather on the right days.
Thanks again!

IMG_0547.JPG
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby pazzar » Wed 02 Oct, 2019 12:11 pm

Don't forget Barn Bluff. Cairned route up through the boulders, no real exposure until the near the summit. IMO Oakleigh is the best side trip. Many groups would have a rest day at Pelion Hut and go up at some stage that day.

Also, I recommend visiting the waterfalls between Kia Ora and Windy Ridge. Worth the effort.

Depending on how long you plan on staying on the track for, pick 2 or 3 side trips and give them a crack (I'd pick Cradle or Barn, Oakleigh, and Ossa or Pelion East). There is no shame in turning around if it gets too hard. The views from halfway up the mountains are still pretty good!
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Baeng72 » Thu 03 Oct, 2019 5:40 am

pazzar wrote:Don't forget Barn Bluff. Cairned route up through the boulders, no real exposure until the near the summit. IMO Oakleigh is the best side trip. Many groups would have a rest day at Pelion Hut and go up at some stage that day.

Also, I recommend visiting the waterfalls between Kia Ora and Windy Ridge. Worth the effort.

Depending on how long you plan on staying on the track for, pick 2 or 3 side trips and give them a crack (I'd pick Cradle or Barn, Oakleigh, and Ossa or Pelion East). There is no shame in turning around if it gets too hard. The views from halfway up the mountains are still pretty good!

Thanks for you comment!

From what I've read and a few videos on you-tube, Barn Bluff is a bit hairy and I've been warned by my partner that I have to keep the youngster alive.
From that I presume I'm disposable. :)

I had planned on a rest day at Pelion, but the ferry from Narcissus Bay wouldn't oblige.
Apparently a tour group had taken the whole ferry at 1pm and so I had to take the 9am that last day.

I probably got the booking back-to-front, as I thought book flights, transport, track pass and as an after thought ferry.

Anyway, long story short, instead of walking from Windy ridge hut to ferry on last day, we need to do it day before, which loses our day off.
Maybe we could push to join Pelion to Windy Ridge, skipping Kia Ora?

I think it's too much to ask to walk from Ronnie creek to Windamere on the first day to get back the rest day.

We will probably walk to Kitchen hut, and take Face track to Scott Kilvert memorial hut as there's no back tracking that way, which there is taking the Overland further before veering to Scott Kilvert.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby matagi » Thu 03 Oct, 2019 7:04 am

I reckon Ronnie Creek to Windemere is your best option because you're joining two short days. Skipping Kia-Ora means you will not have time to view the waterfalls and it also takes going up Mt Ossa out of the equation. You also have Pelion Gap and Du Cane Gap to negotiate in one day which might prove challenging for your 9 year old.
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi

Postby philm » Thu 03 Oct, 2019 8:48 am

I think that Ronnie Creek to Windermere will be too much for the first day. We took our time with 2 x 13 year olds and it took most of the day to get to Waterfall
valley.
Going
To Scott Kilvert on the first day will be easy but then you have a fairly steep uphill section after
Leaving the hut to get back to the main track then on to Windermere.

The only other option you have if you are comfortable and capable is to stay on the main track and aim to get to Windermere on the first day. Then if it is too much just stop and camp at a nice spot near the track in a tent. The only issue with stopping short of Windermere will mean that you have a longer day to get to Pelion on day 2.
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby MrWalker » Thu 03 Oct, 2019 8:57 am

matagi wrote:I reckon Ronnie Creek to Windemere is your best option because you're joining two short days. Skipping Kia-Ora means you will not have time to view the waterfalls and it also takes going up Mt Ossa out of the equation. You also have Pelion Gap and Du Cane Gap to negotiate in one day which might prove challenging for your 9 year old.

It's surprising how many people don't start their walk until about 2pm and still make it to Waterfall Valley before dark. If you can get going in the morning then continuing to Windemere should be possible, since that is a relatively easy section. This gives you the extra day for waterfalls, etc
If there is really bad weather and you get held up, you won't necessarily miss the ferry. It is possible to walk from Windy Ridge to the ferry in about 3 hours if you don't dawdle, so you could do it on the last day if necessary, by getting started soon after sunrise.
MrWalker

Postby Baeng72 » Thu 03 Oct, 2019 9:10 am

MrWalker wrote:
matagi wrote:I reckon Ronnie Creek to Windemere is your best option because you're joining two short days. Skipping Kia-Ora means you will not have time to view the waterfalls and it also takes going up Mt Ossa out of the equation. You also have Pelion Gap and Du Cane Gap to negotiate in one day which might prove challenging for your 9 year old.

It's surprising how many people don't start their walk until about 2pm and still make it to Waterfall Valley before dark. If you can get going in the morning then continuing to Windemere should be possible, since that is a relatively easy section. This gives you the extra day for waterfalls, etc
If there is really bad weather and you get held up, you won't necessarily miss the ferry. It is possible to walk from Windy Ridge to the ferry in about 3 hours if you don't dawdle, so you could do it on the last day if necessary, by getting started soon after sunrise.

Thanks for all the comments!
Very helpfull with working out what to do.

I'm going with Overland Track transport.
They say arrive at visitor's centre 9:30am, seems like 10:30 start is possible.
I want to be on the track shortly after getting passes, so that we can get up onto Cradle Plateau early have plenty of time to work out what to do.
Kids can bounce back quickly (assuming the walk up Marion's is hard for him - most probably for me :) ) with a break and something for energy, so I might be able convince him we can keep going to Windemere after a snack or two and a rest.

I'm not sure about 'charging' down from Windy Ridge last day.
If the weathers shocking or we get held up, we might miss bus back to Launceston and flights home....
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

OT Side trips difficulty

Postby RonK » Thu 03 Oct, 2019 6:18 pm

I'd take the day off for side trips at Pelion and do Kia Ora to Narcissus in one day. It's a fairly easy grade from Kia Ora to Du Cane Gap, and then downhill all the way. Windy Ridge hut is not a particularly appealing anyway so no particular reason to stop there. I've done this a couple of times when I've arrived at Windy Ridge mid-afternoon and decided to keep going.
You would still have time to visit some of the waterfalls as well.
RonK

Region: Queensland

Postby Mark F » Thu 03 Oct, 2019 7:20 pm

From Pelion continue to Du Cane Hut rather than stop at Kia Ora for a wonderfully tranquil night often without any other walkers around, This is likely to be the only time on your walk you may experience a bit of solitude. This adds an hour over stopping at Kia Ora and beneficially gains you an hour for the waterfalls etc.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby crollsurf » Thu 03 Oct, 2019 8:37 pm

Baeng72 wrote:... I'm not sure about 'charging' down from Windy Ridge last day...

Don't catch the ferry unless you have to, the walk to Cynthia Bay is very pleasant. I'm not so into staying in the huts but a last night at Echo Point Hut, with good company is a treat not to be missed. And you can say you walked the whole track.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Fri 04 Oct, 2019 8:40 am

Mark F wrote:From Pelion continue to Du Cane Hut rather than stop at Kia Ora for a wonderfully tranquil night often without any other walkers around, This is likely to be the only time on your walk you may experience a bit of solitude. This adds an hour over stopping at Kia Ora and beneficially gains you an hour for the waterfalls etc.

I second this.
Note that the hut itself is to be used only in dire circumstances (it's also not the most comfortable building in which to spend a night, given the state of the floors and the angle on the bunks), but there's great camping near there, and a classic Tasmanian bush dunny :twisted: Water is from a creek with a lovely little waterfall, from the pad next to the hut.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Petew » Fri 04 Oct, 2019 11:33 am

I second walking along the lake if you have the time. I really enjoyed it.
Petew

Postby pazzar » Fri 04 Oct, 2019 11:56 am

If you are going to skip a hut, I suggest skipping Windemere. It is only a couple of hours from Waterfall Valley. This makes for a pretty big day down to Pelion, but it is mostly downhill, so it is not as taxing as skipping Kia Ora.
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Baeng72 » Fri 04 Oct, 2019 12:18 pm

Thanks for all the comments!

If you read the Overland guide from PWS you get the impression the track is pretty set, but looks like you can 'chop-n-change', even bush camp.
I'm keen on going up Mt. Oakleigh, so am dropping suggestions to my son that we walk to Windemere first day.
But I also like the idea of walking around Lake St. Clair on final day (since we're stopping most probably at Narcissus hut the night before), but that will depend on weather, time and how we're feeling on the day.

Regarding the climb up to Marion's lookout. How long is the bit with steps/chains?
Videos and photos seem to give wildly varying impressions of the steepness/length, so it's hard to guess.
The Topo. map seems to suggest a 50m height gain in about 100m where it's steepest (note, I probably read it wrong).

We were at Mt. Difficult with heavy packs last weekend for a bit of practice, and there were several rock steps - (some mostly natural, others (re)built for the new Grampians Peaks Trail, that were quite difficult for the son.
At the third set up steps, he'd had enough and we turned back.
I think he was done in part because he'd been sick in the week before, but still I'm using that as a rough gage to guess how we'll go on first day.

In the interests of posting images that are probably misleading in regards to steepness....(coming down these with the pack wobbling was a bit hairy).
IMG_0900.JPG
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Fri 04 Oct, 2019 5:36 pm

Similar plus a short chained section that is steeper. It's not difficult but I always suggest to take this whole climb (from Ronny Ck. to Marion's LO) as slowly as you can manage, too fast here seems to make a big difference later in the day, especially heading to Windermere.

The best plan is an early start from accommodation at Cradle Mt.

Windy Ridge to the ferry (9.30am) 21/2-31/2hrs at an average/steady pace. Some nice camping sites around the WR/BN hut.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lizzy » Sun 06 Oct, 2019 6:22 am

I wouldn’t get too carried away planning big side trips or skipping huts with a 9 year old. The first day packs will be heavy and legs probably not that used to it. If the weather is a bit crap it can make it a bit more mentally difficult. Resilience & endurance I find can be a bit limiting regarding big plans. In saying that if all is going well go for it, but you don’t want to make it a forced march when everyone is worn out. I would have multiple plans but not expect too much. Have fun
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 07 Oct, 2019 8:24 am

Lizzy wrote:I wouldn’t get too carried away planning big side trips or skipping huts with a 9 year old. The first day packs will be heavy and legs probably not that used to it. If the weather is a bit crap it can make it a bit more mentally difficult. Resilience & endurance I find can be a bit limiting regarding big plans. In saying that if all is going well go for it, but you don’t want to make it a forced march when everyone is worn out. I would have multiple plans but not expect too much. Have fun

Thanks! That's pretty much my plan.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Thu 10 Oct, 2019 6:46 pm

A quick question.
If is safe to leave gear setup if on a rest day (say tent setup with packs inside) or safe to leave gear in huts?
I don't imagine people hiking the Overland would nick stuff, but also you'd hate to have something you need for the next few days pilfered.
I've seen videos where people leave packs for a few hours at places like Pelion gap, so I guess that's OK.
Is this an issue at all?
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Petew » Sat 12 Oct, 2019 5:51 am

Probably more of an issue with hungry wildlife than people?
Petew

Postby Baeng72 » Fri 08 Nov, 2019 9:22 am

We completed the Overland from 1st to 6th of November.

We didn't end up doing any side trips.

The first day was a bit of a struggle for me getting up Marion's then down to Scott-Kilvert.
I had no energy for the first four days of the walk, turns out I was coming down with a cold or something, so just getting to a hut was work enough (didn't skip any huts).

The walk down to Scott-Kilvert at the end of the first day from the Overland was hard, then next morning, back up those steep, slippery steps was pretty hard too.

Weather was nice first day, second rain and drizzle, then nice mornings with rainy (with added hail or snow on occasion) afternoons.

Glad we finished when we did, yesterday was constant snow/hail at Lake St. Clair, and would have been a slog.

Tried to walk up the saddle between Mt. Doris and Mt. Ossa, but I had no energy, so we turned back, and luckily was just getting down from Pelion Gap before a snow shower passed through.

The huts were pretty good, probably Bert Nichols is a bit cavernous, but still OK.

The views were amazing and the people on the track were great.

Wildlife was cool. Wombat at Kia Ora got a shock when I went to toilet at 2am and nearly tripped over him.

Currawongs and Possums were persistent but cute little pests.

A crow (white eyes, not a Currawong), managed to undo the zip on my back (under pack cover) when next to tent at Scott Kilvert while my son was nearby and nick off with a Europe bar, little bugger.....

My son powered through the first 4 days, and all the times he had to wait for me to catch up, he got to enjoy views when it wasn't raining, so that was good.
He was stuffed on last two days when I came good.

Anyway, this turned in to a trip report, which isn't the right location, so thanks for the advice.

IMG_1178.JPG

IMG_1306.JPG

IMG_1357.JPG
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lizzy » Sat 09 Nov, 2019 8:06 pm

Glad you got through safe & sound. Hope the young fella enjoyed &you have some great memories
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 11 Nov, 2019 7:52 am

Lizzy wrote:Glad you got through safe & sound. Hope the young fella enjoyed &you have some great memories

Thanks!
Yes, great memories and definitely enjoyed it.

Yeah, seeing the rescues off the track since we finished makes me realize how lucky we were just to get some rain, instead of what others have copped.

My son is bouncing around and has been without needing much rest (very jealous).

It was a slog, but he's ready to go again.

I might need more time to get the old body up for a hike like that in the future. :)
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain