Itinerary advice

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Itinerary advice

Postby louiseevw » Mon 15 Jun, 2020 9:44 pm

Hello

We’re hoping to visit Tasmania and do the Overland Track this December.

Thinking our itinerary might be:

Day 1 - bus from launceston, hike to Waterfall Valley with Cradle Mountain side trip
Day 2 - Waterfall Valley to Pelion, possible side trip to Lake Will
Day 3 - Pelion to Kia Ora, Mount Ossa side trip
Day 4 - Kia Ora to Pine Valley, side trip to the falls
Day 5 - Stay at Pine Valley - side trips to the Labyrinth and Acropolis
Day 6 - Pine Valley to Narcissus, catching the early ferry to Lake St Clair for a 2pm bus back to Launceston

I’m keen to get some advice on the itinerary. My biggest concern is whether doing the Labyrinth and Acropolis in one day is a bit much? We won’t have time to add on an extra day, so might have to cut one.

I’ll be going with my husband, we’ve only done overnight trips before - usually around 50km in a weekend (but we’re from Perth so don’t usually have much in the way of mountains to climb).

Any thoughts/ suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks.
louiseevw
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Western Australia

Re: Itinerary advice

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Tue 16 Jun, 2020 7:56 am

Hello.

Itinery is certainly possible, you might however find days 1, 2 and 4 longer than you think. Have a back up plan of skipping the labyrinth and acropolis if that proves to be the case.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby north-north-west » Tue 16 Jun, 2020 8:33 am

A lot of people do the Overland as their first multidayer, but that itinerary seems rather ambitious, particularly if you aren't used to the sometimes steep ups and downs of highland walking, or the weather conditions we can get down here.

If you can't spend any more time on the trip, I'd concur with ILUV, and advise forgoing Pine Valley etc.
Also, Windermere - Pelion is the longest leg of the track. Adding the stretch from Waterfall and the sidetrip out to Will makes for an exhaustingly long day which could knock you out for the rest of the trip. Plenty of people who try to do this find themselves crawling through the last of it by torchlight, or camping somewhere along the way. The second day is always the worst on multidayers; you do not want to ask too much of yourself that early on.
If the bus gets there early enough, and if you get your passes and inspection/orientation lecture over with quickly, you'll have no problems making Waterfall. But the climb up to Marions is not to be underestimated.

It's an area that deserves to be savoured, taking your time and doing as many sidetrips as possible.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby dee_legg » Tue 16 Jun, 2020 9:24 am

I agree with the above. Although your itinerary is definitely possible, I don’t think many groups would find it particularly enjoyable.

Pine Valley certainly is beautiful, but it also lends itself to a shorter, separate trip from Lake St Clair. I’d spend more time on the OLT proper, and come back to Pine Valley another time.
dee_legg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby louiseevw » Tue 16 Jun, 2020 8:28 pm

Thanks everyone, that’s really helpful. Will look into a less ambitious plan!
louiseevw
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Hermione » Tue 16 Jun, 2020 8:35 pm

I think you’ll enjoy it a lot more if you’re not rushing to meet a deadline. I’m from WA and walking here in Tasmania isn’t quite like anything back home, you mostly won’t need to carry as much water but it could snow even in December. Even the weather can make walking a bit more difficult, but if you know you’ve got time up your sleeve it’s easier to manage.
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit"
Hermione
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby louiseevw » Wed 17 Jun, 2020 12:25 pm

Thanks Hermione. How much water would you usually carry in Tasmania?
louiseevw
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Wed 17 Jun, 2020 12:38 pm

louiseevw wrote:Thanks Hermione. How much water would you usually carry in Tasmania?

On the OT none! If it's warm maybe 1l
Plenty of creeks and ponds along the way.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby matagi » Wed 17 Jun, 2020 5:13 pm

ILUVSWTAS wrote:
louiseevw wrote:Thanks Hermione. How much water would you usually carry in Tasmania?

On the OT none! If it's warm maybe 1l
Plenty of creeks and ponds along the way.

We did the OT at the end of Feb and were surprised by how many of the usually reliable sources of water had dried up and others were unsafe due to stagnation. Although I would expect December to be OK and one bottle to be plenty with refills along the way.

Is Douglas Creek downstream of the Tasmanian Walking Company's hut at Pelion still a no-no for taking water? (although it shouldn't be necessary for a walker on the OT to do that)
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby jules_p » Mon 29 Jun, 2020 10:02 pm

Had a grown man stressed and crying because he was out of water after a side trip to the cradle. shared water, found him a stream a few km's along and suggest he gather and treat/boil and saw him at the first camp. It was a hot day and he was caught out. Aside from this, water seems to be everywhere. Perhaps it is perspective; if you have it on you, you'll see it everywhere.
jules_p
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: South Australia

Postby jules_p » Mon 29 Jun, 2020 10:06 pm

louiseevw wrote:
Day 1 - bus from launceston, hike to Waterfall Valley with Cradle Mountain side trip
Day 2 - Waterfall Valley to Pelion, possible side trip to Lake Will

Is it possible to transfer in from Launceston and stop for the night? there are camp grounds before the start of the trek.
This is a long day and there is so much to enjoy, you'd be a bit rushed.

Similarly with Day 2 - another massive day. I have done this day as you've written it and i regret it. The walk into Pelion is the most beautiful (to me) and i'd like a re-do to really take it in.
jules_p
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: South Australia

Postby Tino B » Tue 30 Jun, 2020 9:27 pm

As others have said, Day 1 with full packs and a late start is a push unless fit but doable.

Mt Oakleigh is a great climb and gives views of the Ossa range and back to Cradle and Barn Bluff.

The Pine Valley part wouldn’t give you much time to enjoy the scenery without an early start, and by then your legs may be tired.
Tino B
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby weeds » Wed 01 Jul, 2020 4:40 am

OLT was pretty much our first multiday day, did one three nighter six months prior.

We allocated eight days and had planned to to pine valley, ran out of time. We walked the whole way skipping the ferry.

We did spend two nights at the one hut because we really enjoyed the snow, yep snowed one week before Xmas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
weeds
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby louiseevw » Thu 02 Jul, 2020 9:18 am

Thanks for the advice everyone! Got our permits yesterday! Will plan something a bit less ambitious and see how we go with the weather. We’ll be starting just before Christmas - would be interesting if we got snow! Hoping to do a 5/6 day walk in WA before we go so that also might help with planning (although it will be quite different with no mountains and definitely no snow).
louiseevw
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain