Overland track September equipment

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Overland track September equipment

Postby Montiemoo_123 » Mon 29 Jun, 2020 7:38 pm

Hi We were planning on hiking the overland track sept/oct and I had some questions on equipment.
There are two adults two kids.
We have a winter tent a one planet goondie 3 nylon, we also have S2S down bags rated -1C and sleeping mats R3.5 my question is our sleep system a bit light or given that all four of us will be in the tent it will be warm enough! I’m trying to avoid buying 4 new sleeping bags but obviously don’t want to be freezing either!
Montiemoo_123
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Overland track September equipment

Postby Lizzy » Tue 30 Jun, 2020 5:39 am

I’d want a warmer bag in September- about a minus 8 for me. I sleep cold & as you know the weather can be pretty chilly at any time of the year & Sept is practically still winter....
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby north-north-west » Tue 30 Jun, 2020 7:52 am

September and October generally have the worst weather down here. I hope all of you can cope with bad conditions.
I wouldn't rely on such light bags at that time of the year. There are companies that will hire out equipment. I would suggest you contact one and check cost of suitable bags for your family during the walk. Or add a lot of extra warm camp clothing - thermals and down.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby MrWalker » Tue 30 Jun, 2020 8:40 am

Although August has the most rain (or snow), the windiest month in Tasmania is September. And the winds tend to come from the south (right off the south pole). In any given week you may have some nice days, and a few days with bitterly cold winds. You will want that extra protection on those days (or nights).
MrWalker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Montiemoo_123 » Tue 30 Jun, 2020 9:08 am

Thank you guys! As this Will be our first jaunt on the OLT we may wait and give it a go in the summer months I really want it to be a positive experience for everyone. A few people have highlighted that September is the worst month because of the winds!
Montiemoo_123
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Tino B » Tue 30 Jun, 2020 9:37 pm

You also need to be prepared for snow that time of year (all year really). If you had light down or synthetic insulation and down jackets you might be able to push the bags but you would need sheltered sites and dry gear.

I was up in the hills around Ossa at the end of March this year and was warm in a 4 season tent, synthetic insulated pants and a light down jacket with a 30F / -1C quilt. It was cold enough to freeze water bottles solid between 11:00pm and 6:30am but it could get much colder in September. S2S reactor sleeping bag liners could help but hiring the right bag is a safe bet.
Tino B
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Snooze » Tue 30 Jun, 2020 11:36 pm

Do you insist on camping? It's likely there would be room for you in the huts. (The huts will still be pretty cold in the night though but not as exposed as a tent.)
Snooze
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby north-north-west » Wed 01 Jul, 2020 7:58 am

Snooze wrote:Do you insist on camping? It's likely there would be room for you in the huts. (The huts will still be pretty cold in the night though but not as exposed as a tent.)

The huts will probably still be closed, and it's often warmer sleeping in a tent.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Snooze » Wed 01 Jul, 2020 9:26 pm

My bad. I hadn't realised the huts were closed due to Covid 19.
Snooze
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby matagi » Thu 02 Jul, 2020 8:45 pm

The huts are no longer closed and the number of walkers has been increased to 24.
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi

Postby Kev_bacon » Sat 14 May, 2022 12:28 am

I'm heading off on the Overland late Sept, just wondering how it all went and if your sleep system was enough?
Kev_bacon
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Postby grunter » Sun 15 May, 2022 6:32 pm

I'm heading down late Sept too. My sleep system - Sea to Summit Ether Light XT Extreme Insulated pad - ASTM R-Value: 6.2, Macpac Latitude 700 - Temperature Rating - Comfort -6°C / Limit -13°C / Extreme -33°C. Sea to Summit Thermolite Reactor Extreme Sleeping Bag Liner + Naturehike Illumina X - Tent. Not the lightest gear but held up -4c at the Walls.
grunter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain