Leaving supplies at New Pelion Hut

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Leaving supplies at New Pelion Hut

Postby Berlout » Thu 27 Aug, 2020 8:52 am

Hello, I tried to search for this or similar topic but was unsuccessful so apologies if it's already been discussed.

Is it possible to leave a dry bag (or two) at New Pelion Hut for 3 or 4 days? I'm trying to plan in a side trip from the Overland Track to summit King David and Mt Jerusalem but don't want to take my last Overland supplies with me if at all possible. Any suggestions?
Berlout
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Archer Exploration
Region: Tasmania

Re: Leaving supplies at New Pelion Hut

Postby headwerkn » Thu 27 Aug, 2020 12:39 pm

Unless you can convince one of the commercial operators to spare a little space in their secure drums which are kept under the hut itself, there's nowhere specific or convenient to store anything. Rangers obviously have secure facilities for themselves but I would image it would be a matter of policy they don't provide storage for anyone, lest they end up being inundated with requests.
headwerkn
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Re: Leaving supplies at New Pelion Hut

Postby Tino B » Thu 27 Aug, 2020 1:46 pm

I have hung a dry bag in a tree near the hut for 4 nights
while we did the Ossa-Paddys-Thetis-PW circuit. I placed food and fuel inside 2 large Opsaks, then camo dry bag. I strung a line between 2 trees and then hung the bag with more cordage from that line.

I’m not certain that my actions were that ethical - next time I’ll carry it - but I was virtually certain that the hang could not be accessed by any animals.
Tino B
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain