Itinerary advice

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Itinerary advice

Postby woyapp1 » Fri 09 Oct, 2020 10:25 am

Hi all

I'm doing OLT in December with a friend, we're quite keen on Pine Valley and would appreciate some advice on our planned itinerary. We have 3 potential options.

All 3 options include Days 1-3 as per the book
1 - RC to WV
2 - WV to Windmere
3 - W to Pelion

Day 4 onwards is where I'd like some help:

Option 1
4 - Pelion to Windy Ridge (I believe this ends up being around 17.5km + 1.5km if we want to do Hartnett Falls - apparently worth doing, even if you don't do the other falls. However, this means we miss Mt Oakleigh/Ossa)
5 - WR to Pine Valley - Add Acropolis side trip (Drop packs at Pine Valley Hut) - 15.6km all up
6 - PV to Narcissus PLUS Labyrinth side trip - 15.2km all up

This itinerary http://www.john.chapman.name/tas-over.html#Over-itinerary suggests it's possible if we're taking the ferry, but it doesn't go into any details about times. I suspect that the author didn't need to make it to Lake St Clair in time for the shuttle, but we will.

Option 2
Extend it out by an extra day. This means we'd change it to:
4 - Pelion to KO (including Mt Ossa/Mt Oakleigh) - 8.6km (without side trip/s)
5 - KO to Pine Valley - 18.8km (miss out on side trip to falls - maybe include Hartnett only +1.5km)
6 - Labyrinth and Acropolis - 12.5km
7 - PV to Narcissus, ferry to Cynthia Bay - 9.2km

This option means I won't get to go to Launceston after the trip as the shuttles are operating on alternate days (except Saturdays, when they both run). I'm from Hobart originally, but have never visited Launceston. Ideally I'd like to go, but visiting Launceston is an easier thing to do another time.

Option 3
Extend out even further by one more day.
4 - Pelion to KO (including Mt Ossa/Mt Oakleigh) - 8.6km (without side trip/s) (+5-8km depending on side trip)
5 - KO to WR (including side trips to all falls 12.1km total)
6 - WR to Pine Valley - 9.2km
7 - Labyrinth and Acropolis - 12.5km
8 - PV to Narcissus, ferry to Cynthia Bay - 9.2km

The benefit of this option is that the day we finish has shuttles to both Hobart & Launceston, so provides a bit of flexibility for us. But it also means taking an extra day of food. All of my plans have been for 7 days of food, so adding a day isn't too problematic.

So...Which option would you choose? We're pretty set on Pine Valley, but I also don't really want to miss other side trips that are right in the middle of the walk (and harder to get to as a day trip). But also, we do technically have extra time. I appreciate any input!
woyapp1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Itinerary advice

Postby Azza » Fri 09 Oct, 2020 12:26 pm

Distance doesn't always work well in planning for Tassie walking.
Hours walking is better to judge how far you can get in a day and also depends how fit you are. So you either at the fast or slow end of the guide book times.
That might help you decide what your capabilities are.

Trying to do things like Labyrinth and Acropolis on the same day = a lot of rushing around. It's doable but is it enjoyable?
The labyrinth is an area with lots to explore, how far do you want to go? The Acropolis is well worth a trip.

The falls are only like a 20 minutes side trip, so you might as well just do it.

Likewise side trips to Ossa / Oakleigh best to think about hours it would take rather than Km's. Then you have to factor in getting to the next hut.

From memory the bus service is usually aligned with the morning ~9am Ferry which really means being at Narcissus or getting up early and charging out of Windy Ridge or Pine Valley.
I've also walked the Lake quite a few times when the Ferry hasn't worked out. It's wise to factor that into planning that you might end up having to walk it, particularly if you're on a tight itinerary.

Is also advisable to have an easy day in there, rather than pushing hard all the time.
Azza
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby north-north-west » Fri 09 Oct, 2020 12:52 pm

Another option is to spend an extra night at Pelion, do the Oakleigh, Ossa and Pelion East sidetrips then head south the next day.
You could also camp at DuCane Hut (the building itself is emergency use only) to change the length of the legs south of Pelion. From there to Pine Valley including the Falls is an easy enough day.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby headwerkn » Fri 09 Oct, 2020 1:32 pm

It's easy enough (weather and fitness allowing) to do Pelion - Pelion East - Ossa - Kia Ora in a single comfortable day. Both mountains have good, clear tracks/routes/pads up them (Pelion East gets a little sketchy towards the top).

Mt Oakleigh is a decent 5-7hr side trip, especially if you go to the true high point/summit further north of where the formal(ish) track ends. Totally worth it - the pandani forest you climb up through is a real highlight - but don't count on knocking it over in a few hours after walking in from Windermere earlier in the day.

Assuming you're not interested in scaling either Cradle Mountain and/or Barn Bluff and get an early start on Day 1, you could gain a "day" by walking on through from Waterfall Valley to Windemere. The new hut at WV is lovely but Day 2 from WV to WM is quite short (about 8km, no major climbs) unless you were planning on visiting Lake Will along the way. Assuming decent weather in December you'll get more value out of a dip in Lake Windemere than the gas heater at Waterfall Valley ;-)

Personally I'd aim for any many days as possible and build in a little flexibility. Aim high - every peak and waterfall is worth visiting, definitely! - but give yourself some grace if weather or fatigue/injury change your plans.

I'd also triple-check the ferry schedules... it's been, ahem, a bit inconsistent lately for obvious reasons and very limited times... hopefully improved come summer.

Cheers, Ben.
headwerkn

Postby woyapp1 » Fri 09 Oct, 2020 3:37 pm

Azza wrote:Distance doesn't always work well in planning for Tassie walking.
Hours walking is better to judge how far you can get in a day and also depends how fit you are. So you either at the fast or slow end of the guide book times.
That might help you decide what your capabilities are.

Trying to do things like Labyrinth and Acropolis on the same day = a lot of rushing around. It's doable but is it enjoyable?
The labyrinth is an area with lots to explore, how far do you want to go? The Acropolis is well worth a trip.

The falls are only like a 20 minutes side trip, so you might as well just do it.

Likewise side trips to Ossa / Oakleigh best to think about hours it would take rather than Km's. Then you have to factor in getting to the next hut.

From memory the bus service is usually aligned with the morning ~9am Ferry which really means being at Narcissus or getting up early and charging out of Windy Ridge or Pine Valley.
I've also walked the Lake quite a few times when the Ferry hasn't worked out. It's wise to factor that into planning that you might end up having to walk it, particularly if you're on a tight itinerary.

Is also advisable to have an easy day in there, rather than pushing hard all the time.

Thanks. I think the shuttle we're getting leaves mid afternoon around 14:30 maybe? But we'd still have to be leaving early to make sure we get it.

We have a reasonably quick pace, even with heavy packs (and blisters!) so I expect we'd be at the quicker end of the guide. But yes, that's exactly my concern - I don't want to rush to do things, only to find I enjoy them less.

north-north-west wrote:Another option is to spend an extra night at Pelion, do the Oakleigh, Ossa and Pelion East sidetrips then head south the next day.
You could also camp at DuCane Hut (the building itself is emergency use only) to change the length of the legs south of Pelion. From there to Pine Valley including the Falls is an easy enough day.

That's an idea, thanks. I'll consider that too.

headwerkn wrote:It's easy enough (weather and fitness allowing) to do Pelion - Pelion East - Ossa - Kia Ora in a single comfortable day. Both mountains have good, clear tracks/routes/pads up them (Pelion East gets a little sketchy towards the top).

Mt Oakleigh is a decent 5-7hr side trip, especially if you go to the true high point/summit further north of where the formal(ish) track ends. Totally worth it - the pandani forest you climb up through is a real highlight - but don't count on knocking it over in a few hours after walking in from Windermere earlier in the day.

Assuming you're not interested in scaling either Cradle Mountain and/or Barn Bluff and get an early start on Day 1, you could gain a "day" by walking on through from Waterfall Valley to Windemere. The new hut at WV is lovely but Day 2 from WV to WM is quite short (about 8km, no major climbs) unless you were planning on visiting Lake Will along the way. Assuming decent weather in December you'll get more value out of a dip in Lake Windemere than the gas heater at Waterfall Valley ;-)

Personally I'd aim for any many days as possible and build in a little flexibility. Aim high - every peak and waterfall is worth visiting, definitely! - but give yourself some grace if weather or fatigue/injury change your plans.

I'd also triple-check the ferry schedules... it's been, ahem, a bit inconsistent lately for obvious reasons and very limited times... hopefully improved come summer.

Cheers, Ben.

Good to know about Mt Ossa, thanks.

We're definitely interested in summitting Cradle Mountain, so we'll keep the first few days as they are I think. Lake Will sounds nice and we aren't in a rush to get anywhere else, but it's probably not as high on our priority list as others. But, you've reminded me - swimmers! I might need to take another look at my packing list.

& thanks for the info about the ferry. I'll keep an eye on the times. Probably makes it even more important to be on time on the last day!
woyapp1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Mark F » Fri 09 Oct, 2020 4:04 pm

Another option to extend time available in the southern part of the park is to extend the very short day from WV to Windemere to somewhere between the start of Pine Forest Moor and Pelion Creek. From memory there is a rough site at/near Pelion Creek and I know of people camping off track near the northern end of Pine Forest Moor. This allows a half day onward to Pelion with Oakleigh in the pm. Next day up to Pelion Gap (Pelion East and/or Ossa side trips) and on to Du Cane if possible as nnw suggests.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tazz81 » Fri 09 Oct, 2020 5:32 pm

Or do Pine Valley another time? Then you have all the time in the world.... There’s no point rushing PV as a box ticking exercise, it’s so amazing up there that you’ll end up being annoyed that you didn’t have more time.
Tazz81
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby woyapp1 » Fri 09 Oct, 2020 5:47 pm

Tazz81 wrote:Or do Pine Valley another time? Then you have all the time in the world.... There’s no point rushing PV as a box ticking exercise, it’s so amazing up there that you’ll end up being annoyed that you didn’t have more time.

I've seen this as an option and have considered it. However I think we're pretty keen to do it this time. If Covid has taught me anything, it's better to do things while you have the chance!

I'm thinking it makes more sense to extend it out to 8 days to be honest.
woyapp1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Sun 11 Oct, 2020 5:48 am

Take more time. Be out there as long as you possibly can.

The new track to Mt Oakleigh makes it much faster. I did the return trip (to the true summit yes) in dead on 3hrs a couple of years ago.
Same with the waterfalls, I think it's more like an hr rather than 20mins. But well worth it
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Warin » Sun 11 Oct, 2020 9:51 am

On the 'take more time' thinking... (How many times are you going to do the OLT? Make each one count.)

Before you start the OLT spend a couple of days at Cradle. Summit Cradle during those days, you can pick a good one, 'bad' days can be spent walking the smaller walks in the area.
First day of the OLT do the Horse Track (few do) and summit Barn Bluff.

At the end of the OLT do a resupply for going back and doing Pine Valley .. this way you can maximize the time on the OLT and also maximize the time in Pine Valley. Some of the transport companies will do a resupply for you if you use there services for transport, bag it and give it to them before you start your trip.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Azza » Sun 11 Oct, 2020 11:42 am

Warin wrote:First day of the OLT do the Horse Track (few do) and summit Barn Bluff.

Or you can do Cradle day 1.
Then on day 2 back track from Waterfall Valley in the morning to Barn Bluff.
Return to Waterfall Valley for Lunch and then continue onto Windemere as its only a few hours.
I don't remember that being particularly difficult and it doesn't take that long to trot back up to top of the cirque.

Lots of options and fair to say I'd already done quite a few of mountains on different trips into Pelion Hut and Pine Valley.
And you can't always justify side trips if the weather isn't playing ball.
Worth factoring that in, and also you're not going to get the most out of day trips into the Labyrinth from PV hut.
Its worthy of its own trip.
Azza

Postby Rexyviney36 » Wed 14 Oct, 2020 12:38 pm

If there’s too much snow/ice to summit Ossa but you get a clear day, the saddle between Ossa and Doris is awesome and Doris itself is an easy ‘Climb’.
Rexyviney36
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain