Tent sites on Mt Pelion West track

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Tent sites on Mt Pelion West track

Postby headwerkn » Mon 16 Nov, 2020 9:00 am

Hi all,

We're planning a Pelion West trip in the coming weeks via ART, keen to break up the walking with an overnight camp at close as practical to the where the Pelion West track tee's off from the Overland Track, to give us the best shot of a successful summit.

I know there's a bit of flat space at where the OLT crosses Pelion Creek, but from memory it is small, dark, likely not big enough for our group (3-4 small tents) and right on the Overland Track itself, so kinda in the way. Apparently there's another spot nearby, a bit away from the OLT - anyone willing share details?

Cheers, Ben.
headwerkn
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Re: Tent sites on Mt Pelion West track

Postby eggs » Mon 16 Nov, 2020 9:51 am

I'd plan to traverse below the southerly cliffs of Pelion West and camp on/near the saddle on the far side. Then do the climb from there before retracing the route back below the cliffs. [I have not done this walk - only been planning about it for a while. I would hope to take a bit longer and explore Achilles/Perrins & Leonards Tarn if I ever get around to doing it. Other trip reports have had people camp near that saddle - there are some bushes near some pools not far from Pelion West.]
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby Nuts » Mon 16 Nov, 2020 10:04 am

You'd find somewhere among the Scoparia once you break out above the forest above Pelion Creek (if you aren't fussy).
There's obviously the old Pelion Ck campground and pads around the other nearby creek crossings on the Overland but they are long 'closed'. And this is a good thing.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Mon 16 Nov, 2020 10:06 am

Yeah, I've camped on the saddle eggs is talking about and it's a great spot, plenty of room for a number of tents. Just remember it's really exposed, so watch the weather.
There's also good camping on the northern side, near where the creeks head. It's possible to climb up that way (well, I know one person who has done it) but it's *&%$#! hard work.

The only other campsite that might work is not far from the commercial hut on Pine Forest Moor. It has a bit of shelter and decent views. Access is either via the hut (there's a pad) or more directly from the OT.
Attachments
PLMCamp.jpeg
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby lefroy » Mon 16 Nov, 2020 5:29 pm

Second the Achilles idea. Head over from P West to achilles and perrins
lefroy