Sanity check - Overland Track itinerary

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Sanity check - Overland Track itinerary

Postby merder99 » Sun 29 Nov, 2020 12:32 pm

Hi all, 6 days for OT, does the following sound doable? Hiking solo and fairly fast walker. I know packing in a lot in but only time i have.
Day1: Ronny to Windermere via Cradle My and maybe Lake Will
Day2: Windermere to New Pelion, a side trip to the old hut
Day 3: Pelion to Kia Ora with side to Mt Ossa
Day 4 Kia ora – pine valley with side to Hartnett falls
Day 5 exploring the Labyrinth
Day 6 Pine valley to Cynthis bay - hoping to walk but need to be there by 2:30 for my shuttle to the airport.
so, what do you all think?

Thanks for your help,
Michael
merder99
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Sanity check - Overland Track itinerary

Postby Tazz81 » Sun 29 Nov, 2020 3:46 pm

On your first night stay at Waterfall Valley - it’s the newest/best hut by a long way. Waterfall Valley - New Pelion is mostly downhill/flat/duckboard and easy forest sections. I did Windemere to New Pelion in 3.75 hours in September (didn’t really stop because it was raining and the front pockets on an Aarn help!) So Waterfall Valley to New Pelion is easily done in 6ish hours.
Tazz81
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Mark F » Sun 29 Nov, 2020 4:57 pm

You don't have to walk from hut to hut. There are plenty of opportunities to camp between huts. I am loath to suggest an itinerary as I don't know when you are doing the trip, your capabilities and least of all the weather at the time. Perhaps just ensure you are fully independent and walk as far into each day/evening as is comfortable. Early starts will definitely be needed to maximise your bucket list. My main suggestion is to walk out to Narcissus late on day 5 to ensure you get to your shuttle in time.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby MrWalker » Sun 29 Nov, 2020 9:08 pm

Walking down the lake will take longer than you expect. It should be a flat easy walk all the way, but a lot of it is very undulating. Even a fairly fast walker will take over 5 hrs, and I suggest allowing 6hrs. so with at least 2 hrs from Pine Valley to Narcissus Hut, you would need a very early start.

You might be better off walking early to Narcissus then catching the ferry. Or walk to Narcissus the night before to allow enough time to walk down the lake.
MrWalker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby merder99 » Mon 30 Nov, 2020 6:04 am

Thanks All, planning this as a 'rough' guide so yes, will stop where is good. Going Dec 18.
Very fit, fairly fast walker - 6hrs with earl start on last day should be no issue.
thanks for the tips and for taking the time to comment.
merder99
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain