Windermere Hut Site Upgrades -Site Plan

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Windermere Hut Site Upgrades -Site Plan

Postby Nuts » Sun 20 Dec, 2020 9:09 am

Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Windermere Hut Site Upgrades -Site Plan

Postby matagi » Sun 20 Dec, 2020 8:42 pm

They were already building the replacement group platform when we went through mid-November. Should be pretty well finished by now.
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Nuts » Mon 21 Dec, 2020 7:07 am

Yeah, all good. I wasn't sure what date the plan was made public (the consultation timeline didn't align with the dates mentioned in the plan). I thought someone (other than me) may be interested. They seemed like sensible rearrangements for camping there?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby headwerkn » Mon 21 Dec, 2020 11:52 am

I think it was published about a year ago. When I spoke to Green Design a few months back (they got in touch when we did a video on the upgraded Waterfall Valley Hut) they mentioned Windemere's upgrade wasn't far from starting.

Agreed, it all looks pretty good. Glad that they're retaining the existing tent platforms... I've always felt Windemere has the best platform setup for independent walkers... plenty of space, a bit of separation, and nice outlook to boot. Can't say I ever spent much time inside the old hut, but another akin to the new Waterfall Valley abode won't be a bad thing either. Particularly in regards to condensation control and keeping the critters out.

Cheers, Ben.
headwerkn

Postby Nuts » Mon 21 Dec, 2020 1:06 pm

There will eventually be more camping at the existing hut site, then the closest two past the old toilet for 'groups' I agree those near the hut and further south are good sites, well spread out. The toilet location would be key to how far they can spread. It's good to see use of old damaged areas.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby headwerkn » Tue 22 Dec, 2020 2:00 pm

Funny... just re-reading the old threads regarding the "upgraded" Windy Ridge/Bert Nichols Hut circa 2008, it appears that a few lessons have been learned in the years since!

Now all we need are a couple of sky lights in ceiling of New Pelion's mess area, and all will be sweet ;-)
headwerkn

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 22 Dec, 2020 2:11 pm

Sky lights are soooo last decade(s)... look at the new Waterfall Valley hut (just completed)... it's electric lights these days. :-(
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Tazz81 » Tue 22 Dec, 2020 2:31 pm

The problem with Sky Lights is they get covered in leaves/possum poo/gunk and soon become ineffective. The roof at New Pelion is massive - it should be covered in solar panels with electric heating/lighting. Will save Parks in the long run with less mould and no gas bottles to be flown in.
Tazz81
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Nuts » Wed 23 Dec, 2020 8:47 am

I like ideas about closed systems. And progressive public agencies. Heating will always be associated with times of less sun, maybe a mini hydro turbine? or wind? (takes a lot of stored energy either way).

The toilets otoh get most use corresponding to sunny times, their heating and ventilation could be linked?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Montaine » Wed 06 Jan, 2021 12:58 pm

Tazz81 wrote:The problem with Sky Lights is they get covered in leaves/possum poo/gunk and soon become ineffective. The roof at New Pelion is massive - it should be covered in solar panels with electric heating/lighting. Will save Parks in the long run with less mould and no gas bottles to be flown in.

Wouldn't the same leaves/possum poo/gunk then land on the solar panels, thus also making them ineffective?
Montaine
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Nuts » Wed 06 Jan, 2021 6:39 pm

They did put possum-stoppers on the verandah posts and a lot of the newer huts aren't overhung by trees. Not sure how much of an issue it is these days?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain