Overland Track in May and equipment?

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Overland Track in May and equipment?

Postby travelcat » Wed 19 Mar, 2008 2:38 pm

I'm planning to arrive in AU around mid-April and was going to head straight for the Overland Track, but the fee is a crazy $150. How is the weather just a couple of weeks later around May 1st? Terrible winter I don't want to deal with, but if it's not much worse maybe I can save some money. I'm sure there are plenty of other hikes to do for a couple of weeks. The whole thing is only moderately complicated by also wanting to get to NZ to do some tramping before it gets cold there. Also, I'm having a bunch of gear sent to me from the US, one item is a lightweight down jacket--would this be advisable to carry in addition to the usual fleeces and rain gear? Finally, where is a good shop in Hobart or elsewhere to pick up a few camping odds-and-ends (pot, good pack liner like the "Sea To Summit Ultra-Sil Pack Liner"). Thanks!
travelcat
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Re: Overland Track in May and equipment?

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 19 Mar, 2008 4:52 pm

Hi travelcat... welcome to the forums.

May is usually quite variable. I would expect some good weather, and some terrible weather. In any case, you will definitely get some very cold weather, either with or without rain/snow/wind/etc. You'll need to be prepared for anything, but with any luck, you may just get some nice fine (but cold) weather.

I don't have one myself, but I reckon that your down jacket would be great for around the hut/campsite in the evenings and mornings, when your not walking, and when it's likely to be very cold. If it's the kind of thing I'm thinking of, it would be very warm, very light, and compresses to a very small size.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby slick41st » Wed 19 Mar, 2008 5:34 pm

Hey Travelcat.
If you are worried about the $150 then do a trip through the Walls, then to L.Meston, then Junction Lake, then through the never never, then back through Lees paddocks. I reckon that is just as spectacular a walk (if not more speccy) and wont cost you an arm and a leg. There are some terrific side tracks to do too like Cathedral.

Kathmandu is in Salamanca, but most of the other gear shops are in Elizabeth St just north of the mall. You can't miss them!

Weather wise was good recommendations by SoB, be prepared for anything, and look out for ice on the tracks/tree roots/walkways.

Cheers, Sliack
slick41st
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby corvus » Wed 19 Mar, 2008 6:02 pm

G'day travelcat,
Good advice from Nik, all the good gear shops in Hobart are in the one area around Elizabeth St however if you are starting from Cradle Mt end Snowgum in Devonport have the best range of everything and Cathy and Jonny can provide good advice about the Track for free,remember to say that we directed you to them :)
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby travelcat » Wed 19 Mar, 2008 10:55 pm

Wow, thanks everyone for the good (and quick) advice. Guess I'll have that down jacket sent along with everything else. It is one of those terribly compressible affairs from Western Mountaineering. I'll also look into the no-cost trip. That way I can come in mid-April, do the no cost trip, and if the weather looks ok and I still want to kick around Tasmania I can go for the Overland Track. The Track is listed as one of the "top 10 hikes" (http://besthike.com/blog/2006/12/25/top-10-hikes-in-the-world-2006/) and I got it in my head that I would hike all of them...
travelcat
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 20 Mar, 2008 7:21 am

As mentioned above, the Never, Never is a fantastic route. If you decide to go that way, I'd be cautious of doing it on your own. You'll be unlikely to meet anyone else at that time of year, so the potential for danger is higher. The track is not always easy to follow, although the route is (if you're used to navigation).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby frank_in_oz » Thu 20 Mar, 2008 7:52 am

slick41st wrote:Hey Travelcat.
If you are worried about the $150 then do a trip through the Walls, then to L.Meston, then Junction Lake, then through the never never, then back through Lees paddocks. I reckon that is just as spectacular a walk (if not more speccy) and wont cost you an arm and a leg. There are some terrific side tracks to do too like Cathedral.

Hi, we did the above trip in July last year. Had a ball, just disappointed there was not more snow. Would CERTAINLY recommend doing it with someone.

I think I might be doing the Overland early May with a guy I met via my blog. (he will be out from the US visiting his daughter). No reason why you could not hook up with him (or us if I can get there) This is the plan:
Wed night 7th - Windemere Hut (skip Waterfall Valley Hut)
Thurs 8th - Pelion
Friday 9th Kia ora
Sat 10th Windy Ridge
Sunday 11th to Hobart
He too wants to "tick it off" - me, just a good excuse to get down to Tassie and away from Bl...dy work!!
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby norts » Thu 20 Mar, 2008 9:23 am

Devonport also has Mountain Designs and Allgoods.

Hobart also has Peak 15 at the top end of Elizabeth St(near North Hobart). Most are just north of the Mall in Elizabeth St or just off it. Except for Kathmandu as previously mentioned.

Try to check them all out every time I am in Hobart. Do I have a problem? My wife thinks so.

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tasallan » Mon 24 Mar, 2008 4:09 pm

This is a great walk and people come from all over the world to enjoy the experience.
Your complain about the "crazy" $150 fee - do you expect the locals to pay for your experience with all the facilities provided for walkers? It was free apart from the Park entry fee up until a few years ago but now you must book especially in the summer season due to the huge demand for people wanting to do the walk.
Your $150 will be a wonderful investment in a truly great walk.
Tasallan
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby travelcat » Mon 24 Mar, 2008 11:30 pm

I am on an extended trip during which I am not working. A fee of $150 is a high expense and is higher than other fees I have encountered. I was surprised at the amount of the fee. The Tasmanian park service does not charge the fee in May, so by delaying my hike by a few weeks I can avoid paying it. This is not meant as a discussion of how Tasmania should pay for the maintenance of trails or whether tourists should somehow be considered in the wrong for wishing to walk during a time when the park service itself does not charge the fee. The suggestion in another reply to walk an alternate route also opened my mind to the idea of seeing other wonderful parts of Tasmania without incurring the cost of the Overland Track during main walking season.
travelcat
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Azza » Tue 25 Mar, 2008 6:00 pm

Most of the NZ great walks are hut based and charge fees as well.
e.g. Milford Track is $120. Other walks have different fees, generally a night in a hut costs $20-$30.
So I wouldn't say that $150 is excessive, perhaps marginally more than what your going to pay in NZ.

Technically you should be purchasing a parks pass if your going walking in any of the national parks in Tas its going to cost you $28, however it is included in the $150 overland fee.
Azza
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 25 Mar, 2008 6:37 pm

Hi all... please remember to keep posts non-political. Sorry to squash debate (as debate can be healthy), but this isn't really the place for it (forum rules forbid political discussions, in the interest of keeping it polite and friendly).

If there is enough interest, I can open a new bushwalking politics forum (PM me if you think this would be a good idea or not).

Thanks,
Nik.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby PeterJ » Wed 26 Mar, 2008 2:59 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:Hi all... please remember to keep posts non-political. Sorry to squash debate (as debate can be healthy), but this isn't really the place for it (forum rules forbid political discussions, in the interest of keeping it polite and friendly).

If there is enough interest, I can open a new bushwalking politics forum (PM me if you think this would be a good idea or not).

Thanks,
Nik.

I thought the postings were merely healthy debate and didn't really feel any of it was particularly political.
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 26 Mar, 2008 3:57 pm

PeterJ wrote:I thought the postings were merely healthy debate and didn't really feel any of it was particularly political.

It's a hard call, but I just wanted to put in a reminder, as these things sometimes descend gradually beyond the limit. I'm trying to be proactive instead of reactive for a change. :) I usually leave it too late. It was getting more towards the politics side than the bushwalking side.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Thu 27 Mar, 2008 1:00 pm

aljscott wrote:Technically you should be purchasing a parks pass if your going walking in any of the national parks in Tas its going to cost you $28, however it is included in the $150 overland fee.

Having recently walked the track in summer I'd like to offer a correction here. The Overland Track fee does not include a parks pass. It is required in addition to the OT pass and you need to buy it separately. Can be done when booking or when you get there. There are various parks passes but we opted for the 8 week (non-motor vehicle) $28 pass.

Another thing worth knowing about walking the OT in peak season is that you can pick up your track pass after 3 pm the day before your scheduled departure (documented somewhere in the fineprint on the confirmation email). That way if you're staying overnight in the Cradle Valley area and want to get an early start, you can just jump on the first shuttle bus down to Ronny Creek about 8am. Doing this allowed us plenty of time to do the Barn Bluff side trip on day one (alternatively Cradle summit...maybe both?).

Kind regards,
John W
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby under10kg » Sun 30 Mar, 2008 9:20 am

I just visited the overland track. I did not pay the fee but just walked out the same way I walked in. As long as you do not get to the last hut and return you do not have to pay the $150 as you have not completed the overland track. This was told to me by a walden at watterfall hut. Walking out the walls is another option which I will do the next time I do the track. If you are fit it takes about 2.5 days to walk out from near the end of the track. Walking back was fine as I saw more views that I missed due to a sleeting day.
Anyhow, the amount of work they put into the track makes the $150 OK.
I did meet the head boss of the national park on the walk and he told me he wants to keep the above free option available for walkers. If a lot of people sneak though without paying they will remove this option. There is a safty issue of the sneaks not filling in the log books at the huts too.
under10kg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Nuts » Sat 05 Apr, 2008 1:05 pm

:D
Last edited by Nuts on Mon 25 Oct, 2010 10:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby waldgeist » Sat 05 Apr, 2008 9:19 pm

Does it really get crowded in May? How badly?
waldgeist
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby wello » Sat 05 Apr, 2008 11:12 pm

Interesting discussions. While I haven't walked the OT in may, I have been through in early June. There were only a handful of people around (two of us plus maybe 3 to 5 others in each hut). The one exception is Pelion Hut in the centre of the park, which had about ten staying.

If you go in May, expect some pretty cold weather. the other thing that makes it a bit tough is the lack of daylight. It will be twilight by 5pm, which means you need to start fairly early to get between huts on some of the longer days. The plus is that a great deal of work has been done on the hut facilities in recent years. The ones in the northern half of the park even have gas heaters! The track is also very good and well marked all the way. There is a bit of mud around, but it wouldn't be an authentic Tasmanian experience without it.

Something worth thinking about, I saw a note on the Parks and Wildlife website that the Windy Ridge hut is being rebuilt. If I remember rightly, it would be gone by now, and won't be ready till some time in May.

And another thing. When I walked through in June, there was a guy of at least 55 doing it solo. I reckon if you're experienced and fit, there's no reason not to have a go by yourself.

have a top walk!

Wello
wello
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain