Overland Track this winter

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Overland Track this winter

Postby Bigsteps » Tue 10 Jun, 2008 11:51 pm

Does anyone have any indication on how many people are now walking the track in Winter?

and any updates on Windy Ridge Hut, like opening date & what will the layout be?
Bigsteps
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Re: Overland Track this winter

Postby tasadam » Wed 11 Jun, 2008 10:45 am

G'day.
In relation to question 1, I seemed to recall information I had once seen past history of numbers of people that had done these walks, as recorded information translated from the log books.
But a search has not been successful.
So I went to the parks site
Phoned them, asked them for parks & wildlife, they asked me "Parks, or wildlife", I said Parks. They were on the phone, so they gave me the number (03) 6233 2270
Finally got through and askled, the person that has that kind of info is not about so I left my number and an email address.
If I get an answer I will let you know.

If you are after an indication only, you could talk to the Cradle Mtn Visitor Centre.
I went looking for the link to that centre to paste here and found what looks like the answer to your question -
http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/manage/stat ... index.html

So I phoned their office back and told them not to bother replying to me.

Another indication is from other walkers that have done it in winter.
I did it almost exactly a year ago. Took 9 days including side trips.
On the first day we got to Waterfall Valley hut, been there for about an hour after after dark and we were the only ones there, so had suitably scattered our gear about, then along came six year 9 schoolgirls and 4 teachers. Staggering and slipping down the icy slopes to Waterfall Valley hut in the dark for an hour!
One hasty clean-up by us, spent the next 2 nights with them and they continued while we had an extra 2 nights at Pelion. 1st night, 2 girls from USA, 2nd night 2 guys from Sydney and we were with them for the rest of the walk.
And we saw a couple of people heading north on the walk.
So it wasn't "busy", but we were never alone. I expect we were quite lucky re number of people.

In relation to question 2, all the information is available through links on this page.

Updates on Windy Ridge hut -
It was put out to tender Late 2007.
It's expected completion is publushed on the Parks site, here.
Windy Ridge Hut (Overland Track)
Updated 1 June 2008
A new bushwalkers hut is being constructed at Windy Ridge. There is currently no hut space available. However, all tent pads are available.

It is anticipated that the new hut will be open from the end of June, weather permitting.

For all enquiries and the most up to date information, please check at Cradle Mountain (03) 6233 6047 or (03) 6289 1172 or Lake St Clair (03) 6289 1172 when departing.

Another reference to it here.
Please Note: Hut use at Windy Ridge hut may be unavailable to walkers from late February for several months due do to an infrastructure upgrade. Please check at Cradle Mountain when departing or call (03) 6233 6047 or (03) 6289 1172 for further information. See Reserve and Track Closures for further details.

I would not like to rely on Windy Ridge hut being finished to schedule, knowing our weather.

Hope that helps.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac
Region: Tasmania

Postby Bigsteps » Wed 11 Jun, 2008 4:51 pm

thanks for the reply.

I'd really love not to encounter anyone on the track - but I guess it's all luck then, I'll ring Cradle Visitor Centre & see how many starters there have been b4 we confirm our trip.

thanks
Bigsteps
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby the_camera_poser » Wed 11 Jun, 2008 11:07 pm

what if you hike at odd times- wake up really early, nap during the day, etc. It used to work for me on the Appalachian Trail. It's amazing hiking at 5:30am.
the_camera_poser

Postby frank_in_oz » Thu 12 Jun, 2008 8:49 am

Bigsteps wrote:I'd really love not to encounter anyone on the track - but I guess it's all luck then

Would not stress too much about meeting people along the OT. Reckon it is part of the fun. You rarely see people over the day as everyone heads off at different times and goes at a different pace. Some of my best memories of the track have been the people we have met, the conversations we have had and the friendships we have established.
Used to always want that "oncer" when we would see no one for days. Has never happened in 5 or 6 trips. Now I look forward to who we might meet and sleep out of the huts away from the noise.

Enjoy
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tasadam » Thu 12 Jun, 2008 11:36 am

the_camera_poser wrote:what if you hike at odd times- wake up really early, nap during the day, etc. It used to work for me on the Appalachian Trail. It's amazing hiking at 5:30am.

In winter in Tasmania, you'd be likely to run out of daylight.

A couple of tips - it's very VERY cold in the early morning.
The taps on the tank are usually frozen, so fill your water bottles / billies for breakfast the night before.
Nowhere really to "nap during the day" unless you get your days walking done in half a day and sleep in the hut.
But then you may be disturbed by people using that hut as a base for an extra day walk or having a rest day and disturbing your sleep.
A good theory but I can't see it working too well on the overland track - at least not for me who doesn't like getting up if it's still very dark & cold.
Height of winter, it won't be daylight til close to 8AM and will be dark by 5PM.

And as has been mentioned, you generally meet like-minded and very friendly people on the track so I wouldn't be too concerned.
Regardless, I back up the emphasis that it is very important to carry all your gear - including a tent - do not rely on the huts.
I didn't need my tent when I did the walk, but I would ALWAYS carry my tent no matter what time of year I walk.
You twist an ankle half way between huts in winter on the overland track without a tent, and chances are it's GAME OVER...
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby corvus » Thu 12 Jun, 2008 6:46 pm

Very good advice tasadam a tent is a major requirement for the OLT and especially so in Winter.
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby Bigsteps » Thu 12 Jun, 2008 9:08 pm

Thanks for the advice.

I never walk without a tent or shelter and bivvy bag & an EPIRB

This trip I am planning on SAT Phone as well, just in case & maybe not for me. Intention is that we walk & not encounter people on the track or in huts. Tents can be a tad cold this time of year, so intending to stay under the tin roof & relax @ night.

c ya
Bigsteps
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby corvus » Thu 12 Jun, 2008 9:34 pm

OLT may not need Sat Phone Everywehwere but if you have access go for it
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby walkinTas » Thu 12 Jun, 2008 10:00 pm

tasadam wrote:G'day.
In relation to question 1, I seemed to recall information I had once seen past history of numbers of people that had done these walks, as recorded information translated from the log books. ...

I went looking for the link to that centre to paste here and found what looks like the answer to your question -
http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/manage/stat ... index.html

I knew the Walls of J were popular, but those numbers are surprising. An average of 24 people a day in January and more than the OLT through winter.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tasadam » Fri 13 Jun, 2008 7:49 am

walkinTas wrote:I knew the Walls of J were popular, but those numbers are surprising. An average of 24 people a day in January and more than the OLT through winter.

So I take it you caught it on an above average day here...
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby walkinTas » Sat 14 Jun, 2008 5:21 am

tasadam wrote:So I take it you caught it on an above average day here...

Looks like it - that was mid January.

Also looks like I got caught quoting a silly statistic. :oops: Thats the thing about averages, by definition there must be "above average" and "below average", because average is just the middle of the range.

...but 3600 people in 12 months. I hope they all practiced minimal impact bushwalking!
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby rhalleyf » Mon 28 Jul, 2008 9:34 pm

A mate and I have just come off the Overland Track last week. We started at Lake St Clair and unfortunatly my walking mate got quite ill just before Windermere Hut (only one day from the finish) and had to get him airlifted out last Wednesday. We have been walking for around 10 years and this was the first time we had to use the EPIRB to evac to Devonport Hospital. All is well now but I was disappointed with the Overland Track Visitors Centre. I advised them that both Pellion Hut and Windermere Huts did not have any heating and that Kio Ora coal was just about exhausted.

Their attitude was of " they will get filled up some time" I would have thought that if the Overland Track staff were getting feedback about the condition of the huts, they could have advised other walkers of the situation. ( I would suggest a report board in the office so walkers are aware of the hut conditions).

It seems that as off season walkers dont pay the $150 fee, there is no interest in what is going on. We passed at least 16 walkers over 6 days, so its not just our safety that I was concerned about. When I gave them back the used EPIRB there was no interest at all.

Thought it might be good to maybe start a section up on this forum giving walkers info about the hut conditions during the off season. Its a great time of year for walking but if you cant get any gear dry you need to compensate by taking additional gear.

PS the Emergency Services were brilliant and responded within 2 hours of the EPIRB going off (2.30am). Couldnt have asked for a more professional crew and many thanks to them for their assistance. My mate spent a day in hospital and there is a need for further investigation, so need to check it out before we walk again

What are your thoughts folks??? :(
rhalleyf
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Joel » Mon 28 Jul, 2008 9:57 pm

Are you talking about the vistor center at St Clair or at Cradle? Did you ask to speak to a Ranger or did you talk to one of the shop workers? I may get shot down for this but don't bother talking to the girls/guys behind the VC desks. Most of them don't even like bushwalking and despite them living in the park I have never seen one of them out in the bush. Ring up, ask for the email address of Ranger Trev and write him a letter about your complaints. He will respond. This is my opinion only, hope I haven't offended anyone...
Joel
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Joel » Mon 28 Jul, 2008 9:59 pm

btw, was the uncontrollable vomiting a case of illness or exhaustion?
Joel
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby whiskeylover » Mon 28 Jul, 2008 10:31 pm

Just a quick note to thank you for mentioning the drying gear business (relates a bit to the light weight forum!). Even if the heaters are working you can't expect to dry your gear with them. In my experience in winter trying to dry gear in Tassie huts is impossible (you might be able to half dry/warm it a bit), they really only take the chill off, don't expect actual heating. Take gear as if you were going to spend a night sitting in the cold with no campfire and a high wind chill factor. That's why you need three sets of first and second layer clothing - the ones you're wearing - wet, which you generally put back on to walk in even if they are damp. Then your evening, sitting around, dry clothes. And your emergency, don't wear at all unless you have to, or wear on the last day so you don't smell so bad in the carpark clothes. I even take two beanies - one for walking and one for evening/sleeping. The only hut we've ever got warm in winter was Frenchman's Cap first hut and even then the gear wouldn't dry. Don't make the mistake of putting your boots too close to the heater either.
medicinal purposes only of course
whiskeylover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby rhalleyf » Mon 28 Jul, 2008 10:42 pm

Joel,
Vomiting was most likely caused by an illness. Dont want to go into details but my mate has been advised by the treating doctor in Devonport to follow up on some unusual test results. I will follow up with the Ranger as well...It was that the result at the counter at Cradle Mountain was so unexpected that I thought that this needed to be raised.

I have written directly to Parks Tasmania and really wanted walkers to know that heating would not necessarily be available. Ps we carried three sets of clothing for our walk.
rhalleyf
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Nuts » Mon 28 Jul, 2008 11:28 pm

Last edited by Nuts on Thu 28 Oct, 2010 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sarge » Tue 29 Jul, 2008 8:24 am

Nuts wrote:Can I just ask where you originally got the info, that there would be heating available in the huts?

says so on the OT website:

http://www.overlandtrack.com.au/doing_huts.html

Thanks for the info we are going in 3 weeks - Reading your story I am tossing up whether to get an epirb (have been for some time actually)....
sarge
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 29 Jul, 2008 8:34 am

sarge wrote:
Nuts wrote:Can I just ask where you originally got the info, that there would be heating available in the huts?

says so on the OT website:

http://www.overlandtrack.com.au/doing_huts.html

Thanks for the info we are going in 3 weeks - Reading your story I am tossing up whether to get an epirb (have been for some time actually)....

Parks really ought to amend that site to include a warning. The fuel for those heaters never lasts through the winter in all the huts. It gives people expectations that cannot be met, and may tempt people to rely on heated huts (which they shouldn't do even if the heaters are guaranteed to have enough fuel).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby rhalleyf » Tue 29 Jul, 2008 3:35 pm

An EPIRB is a good emergency tool and costs around $30 to rent from Cradle Mt Visitors centre.

Its not worth buying one as they are changing them over to a new system in 2009 and you would need to then buy one of the new models. It was the best investment and we normally carry on longer walks in case we find other people in difficulty. ( We had to assist someone off Feathertop last year with a medical emergency), but this was the first time we have been in a situation like this since starting walking around 10 years ago.

I received an apology from Parks Tasmania today and they are going to take on board the recommendation in relation to advising walkers of the heating situations in the huts. :)
rhalleyf
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby cherryw » Tue 29 Jul, 2008 4:33 pm

Joel wrote:btw, was the uncontrollable vomiting a case of illness or exhaustion?

Hi Joel

I am the unfortunate soul that took ill. Went to the doctors today and had some blood tests taken will know next week. I do not know where you were advised of uncontrollable vomiting as this was not mentioned. What I do know is that there was another walker airlifted out before us with a bad case of gastro. This was not the case with me. Am alright now just waiting on the results. We did allow for extreme cold and wet weather as I had 4 sets of dry cloths and was down to the last set. We did not rely on heating in the huts to dry our gear but just for a little warmth. What would have dried were our thermals, socks and some lightweight clothing but this was not the case and was down to my last set of dry gear. If we had not been evacuated we would have continued and finished the walk but it was a combination of both exhaustion/bug and cold that stopped us.

Hope this helps explain.
:D
"We are not actually lost,....... just temporarily misplaced."
cherryw
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby corvus » Tue 29 Jul, 2008 7:08 pm

Good call Nuts as you know even in Summer the Hut heaters are turned on and then the cages over them are covered in wet gear (coal fired festooned above) therefore negating the heating effect .
Reliance on epirbs (plbs as someone reminded me) should be a safety blanket but as I suspect you mean not a substitute for proper gear and common sense which there is no accounting for.
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 29 Jul, 2008 7:55 pm

Nuts wrote:An easy answer would be to Remove the heaters?

That would make the huts much more pleasant for me... they'd smell marginally less of sweaty socks then. :D
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby norts » Wed 30 Jul, 2008 11:34 am

Last couple of times through the Park I have tried to stay out on the verandah( especially Windermere), it was summer. The heater was on and everyone was running around in Tshirts while I sat out on the verandah with all my warm weather gear on. It was just too humid and stuffy. I don't go walking to sit in a stuffy room.
I like to meet people on the track but dont want to sit on their lap while I try to eat tea.

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Bigsteps » Wed 27 Aug, 2008 12:25 pm

Well we walked the track.

Not impressed with crowds this year. 10 or so people in Windermere makes it not wilderness in winter that I have experienced before. windermere really needs some maintenance, with mould in rooms & leaking roof.

All heaters were working & provided you had time you could dry thermals, shirts, fleeces & waterproofs, but you needed to turn them around. Thermometer in Windermere never rose above 8c.

Lots of snow, windy & rain, but too many people spoit the walk, especially those that have had no/little cold weather walking experience. the track conditions & boardwalks have improved the walk & thus you tend now to get too many backpacker type walkers. We heard a story of two Germans that carried a gas stove purchased in Woolworths, fresh bread, chopping board, carving knife, stainless steel kitchen pot with glass lid & fry pan!

Before I try winter again I'd like to have more idea of how popular that winter walking has become as I prefer to be 'alone'.

Re EPIRBS - from what I can see only the newer version id available to purchase. But don't think that will save you. It will only give your reasonably accurate location, not the nature of your emergency & if the weather is crap, then no helo pilot will come to get you!. I'd suggest good preparation & gear, be prepared to wait or retrace your steps (as we heard several groups did this year turning back to Cradle or St Clair). A SAT phone if you can afford would be an excellent backup in emergency & you can then describe the nature of your situation (why don't the huts have radio's as in NZ?).

Well back to work now & dreaming of another trip - without sharing huts!
Bigsteps
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Nuts » Wed 27 Aug, 2008 1:42 pm

Last edited by Nuts on Thu 28 Oct, 2010 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Bigsteps » Wed 27 Aug, 2008 1:51 pm

Hi Nuts,

Why use huts?

I've spent too many nights/days in the wet over the South West (East & Western Arthurs, South Coast, Davey, Anne Crt) & sometimes look for a little luxury, hence doing the Overland in winter! This year there was some nights about 30cm of snow on platforms & wind! I also like to talk with my walking party & yelling from tent to tent above the wind is not enjoyable, especially for your tent buddy.

I'll probably come back next year but maybe later in winter.

Now there is lots of good snow in Kosi so I'm off for a few days back country to ski!
Bigsteps
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby theMISSIONARY » Mon 08 Sep, 2008 9:13 pm

a bloke from work and some companions are up there now they left today
theMISSIONARY
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain