Aussie made Quilt/Sleeping Bag

Commercial posts in this forum are permitted. This forum is only visible to members. Topics deleted after 2 idle years.
Forum rules
Topics here should be bushwalking-related. Topic titles should begin with abbreviated state and/or town/suburb enclosed in square brackets IF the topic is only relevant to a particular location. Eg [TAS Hbt].

Topics posted by commercial organisations to advertise or discuss their own products or services are subject to the following additional limitations:
  • maximum of one topic per commercial organisation per week
  • posts from new or otherwise unknown advertisers may be rejected or deleted by moderators if they have any reason to think it might be spam - to be on the safe side, new advertisers can obtain permission from site admins before posting their first advertising topic
  • It must be clear that the post has been written by the organisation which produces or sells the product(s) or service(s) by filling in the "Associated Organisations" field in the user profile.

Note that any content, commercial or otherwise, which is deemed inappropriate for any reason may be deleted without notice.

Aussie made Quilt/Sleeping Bag

Postby NeveGear » Wed 29 Dec, 2021 11:55 am

Hi All, I'm Ryan

If you're interested in a locally made quilt/sleeping bag I may have just the thing for you.
Its a full zip quilt and the main feature is that it can be used fully open like a blanket, partially zipped like a quilt or fully closed up like a sleeping bag.

From the testing and feedback I've received so far I've found that having a quilt that can be closed up gives so much peace of mind in the winter.

So if you're looking for one of the lightest quilts/sleeping bags available that will keep you warm at every temperature with loads of useful features, make sure you check us out.

http://www.nevegear.com.au

MAIN22 IMAGE 2.png
Last edited by NeveGear on Tue 04 Jan, 2022 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NeveGear
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Neve Gear
Region: New South Wales

Re: Aussie made Quilt/Sleeping Bag

Postby crollsurf » Thu 30 Dec, 2021 10:38 pm

Hi Ryan, quits look good and 950! Nice.
When you're talking high end quilts you're talking to people who probably know a little more than most and want to know a little more than what your site offers.

I want to know the baffle design.
Colour options are nice but I want to know what denier material outer and inner.
0C, -6C is that extreme or comfort?

Not trying to by difficult but high end, you need to answer these and other questions for people to commit.

I'm travelling with an EE -6C Down and an Apex 10C in the white season and I'd like to simplify that. So looking for a long/wide true -17C with a box foot. Hopefully I'll be a customer sometime soon.

Love buying local so good luck and all the best.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby NeveGear » Fri 31 Dec, 2021 7:39 am

Thanks for your feedback Crollsurf.

Your completely right, I didn't have much easily available information regarding design choices and features. I've updated my website to more easily show some of my design choices and the more technical aspects of the quilt.

I've also made it easier to find the temperature rating level, which is Comfort. Massive thanks for pointing this out. I honestly thought that everyone used comfort but it turns out I'm actually wrong, some other quilt makers use lower limit which is quite surprising.

Thanks for your help
NeveGear
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby bbjay » Fri 31 Dec, 2021 7:11 pm

Hi Ryan
What is your lead times at moment just asking
Regards
bernie
bbjay
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Postby NeveGear » Fri 31 Dec, 2021 8:12 pm

Hi Bernie,

Lead time is roughly 2 weeks depending on fabric colour choice but could be done sooner if in a hurry.

Thanks
NeveGear
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Hiking Exped » Sat 01 Jan, 2022 9:15 am

Hi Ryan,

Weighing one of these up as an new alternative to lightweight summer spring Alpine bag against Western Mountaineering or PHD. Any DWR finish? Just good to have for occasional condensation and works well on both the others. Also can you tailor width at all, not for my growing belly of course, more in case I need to wear a down jacket in a cold spell :D
Hiking Exped
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby NeveGear » Sat 01 Jan, 2022 10:53 am

Hi Hiking Exped,

The fabric does have DWR finish and condensation shouldn't affect the down/fabric much, although all sleeping bags/quilts generally have a small problem with condensation. One advantage of the lightweight fabric however is that it dries extremely fast in the sun if there was any condensation overnight.

I can definitely tailor the width if needed, it would cost a little extra but you would be looking at an extra 15cm in width. The inner circumference of the bandicoot is 60" or 152cm which is the standard size of sleeping bags, but if needed the extra 15cm can make a big difference. Let me know if you have any more questions and feel free to contact me via phone if you want to talk more. Either way I'm sure you will be happy with any of those sleeping bags as I've heard only good things about them.
NeveGear
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Hiking Exped » Sat 01 Jan, 2022 12:26 pm

Thanks a lot that’s great. Just making my mind up on some other bits, but will definitely be back in touch.
Hiking Exped
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Sun 02 Jan, 2022 7:34 am

Nice. A good option now that Mike's having a break from manufacturing them.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Dexter » Sun 02 Jan, 2022 3:18 pm

Looks great Ryan. I'm starting to have a little look around for a summer bag / quilt at the moment.

I noticed your site mentions the temp ratings are based on a Women's comfort range. I assume the 0c quilt would therefore be close to a -4c for guys? I'm a fairly warm sleeper, at the moment I have a One Planet -4c Bungle and find I rarely have it done up around me during warmer months. Is there any plans to make an even lighter weight +4c (0c for men) bag?

I notice most quilts I've seen have some elastic or similar to secure under a sleeping mat. Is it tucked away in the pics/video of yours, or not a feature on these quilts? Having never used a quilt I have no idea how useful these are, or aren't. Great job! I'm sure you will have loads of orders!
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby NeveGear » Sun 02 Jan, 2022 5:33 pm

Hi Dexter,

Yes your correct, the 0*C quilt would be comfortable for guys down to -4*C as per my ratings. At the moment there are no plans on making a +5*C version of the current quilt as it just isn't worth it but I may in the future make a more simple design for a summer bag if that was wanted.

You're right about almost every quilt having some sort of elastic attachment pad system but my one doesn't, this is because it is a full zip quilt/sleeping bag. The reason most quilt makers have this system is to keep the quilt sides from opening up under you when its cold if you move around during the night, but due to my quilt being full zip, its not possible for it to open up like this.
NeveGear
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby NeveGear » Tue 04 Jan, 2022 2:24 pm

A couple photos of a quilt I finished today

thumbnail (2).jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

thumbnail.jpg

And these two off to the post office

thumbnail (3).jpg
NeveGear
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Hiking Exped » Wed 05 Jan, 2022 4:23 pm

I’ve just purchased one of these off Ryan. Specs look good and could suit me for a lot of the green season in Australia. Customer service excellent and the quilt/bag should be with me in a couple of weeks.

I shall take a good look at it and test it out then with some feedback.

Looks good though.
Hiking Exped
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby nezumi » Thu 06 Jan, 2022 1:11 pm

Dexter wrote:Looks great Ryan. I'm starting to have a little look around for a summer bag / quilt at the moment.

I noticed your site mentions the temp ratings are based on a Women's comfort range. I assume the 0c quilt would therefore be close to a -4c for guys? I'm a fairly warm sleeper, at the moment I have a One Planet -4c Bungle and find I rarely have it done up around me during warmer months. Is there any plans to make an even lighter weight +4c (0c for men) bag?

I notice most quilts I've seen have some elastic or similar to secure under a sleeping mat. Is it tucked away in the pics/video of yours, or not a feature on these quilts? Having never used a quilt I have no idea how useful these are, or aren't. Great job! I'm sure you will have loads of orders!

NeveGear wrote:Hi Dexter,

Yes your correct, the 0*C quilt would be comfortable for guys down to -4*C as per my ratings. At the moment there are no plans on making a +5*C version of the current quilt as it just isn't worth it but I may in the future make a more simple design for a summer bag if that was wanted.

You're right about almost every quilt having some sort of elastic attachment pad system but my one doesn't, this is because it is a full zip quilt/sleeping bag. The reason most quilt makers have this system is to keep the quilt sides from opening up under you when its cold if you move around during the night, but due to my quilt being full zip, its not possible for it to open up like this.

So it's less of a quilt, more of a centre-zipped sleeping bag? Part of the appeal of quilts, for me at least, *is* the strapping that means I can have the upper half cinched around my body and the lower half more open to allow my feet to stick out.
nezumi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby NeveGear » Thu 06 Jan, 2022 1:41 pm

Hi Nezumi

Your right it is probably more of a sleeping bag than a quilt due to the full zip, however parts of it are like a quilt such as the lack of a hood and the cinch footbox.

I get what your saying about having the lower half open but I would think that's quite a unique method of using a quilt, however the cinch footbox would allow you to do similar either by leaving it open or however much you wanted.

Personally I prefer to leave the top half of a quilt more open and partially close the bottom half but I suppose everyone has their own uses.

Also to add, I'm not a fan of quilt straps, I love quilts in summer but in winter it can be problematic for myself as I'm a side sleeper and like to change sides a lot and even if you do get your pad straps perfect, rolling around in a quilt just does not work well for me, which is why I prefer a centre zip because I can just roll with the sleeping bag/quilt.
NeveGear
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Dexter » Thu 06 Jan, 2022 3:25 pm

It's great to have an option that's different to most out there anyway! Thanks for the extra info!
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Hiking Exped » Wed 26 Jan, 2022 11:25 am

My quilt/bag arrived from Ryan - First impressions

When it comes to hiking and expedition gear I have a lot and have tried a lot, but am still always on the look out for new kit that shaves weight and increases flexibility, without a loss of durability and performance.

The Bandicoot Hiking Quilt from Neve Gear caught my attention due to its flexibility of being both a quilt and a sleeping bag, and the specifications and design looked very impressive.

As a new Australian product with Australian manufacturing I examined things a little closer. The customer service from Ryan was second to none, answering all my questions and queries in detail, so I took the plunge.

In less than three weeks my new quilt arrived, with Ryan providing regular updates, even photographs of the manufacturing process. Now that’s customer service!

The weight and luxurious feel was amazing. The boxed baffles seemed to secure the 950 down in place really well and the draft baffles looked very good. The stitching, material and manufacturing all looks very robust too. I am always nervous about zips, as snagging is often an issue on many and I often use a heavier winter bag with just about the best zip ever. However, whilst light, the YKK zip runs and holds well and snagging on its draft tube does not seem problematic.

It felt warm, cosy and comfortable and the centre zip and differential cut and drawer cords all work really well. The size is perhaps just a little snug for me, but I am thick set and broad shouldered, and maybe to used to a bigger bag, but zipped up I could roll on my side (how I usually sleep and fidget) and the bag just stays with you comfortably.

I think this is going to be perfect for my needs as a new two/three season lightweight Alpine set up, with the loft and warmth of the down more than likely to have enough resilience for the occasional freezing nights. I shall put it to the test and report back.

Similar specification bags can cost you three times this so it’s excellent value too.

Great design, great specs, great service, great price!
Hiking Exped
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby fer » Mon 11 Jul, 2022 10:57 pm

Hiking Exped wrote:My quilt/bag arrived from Ryan - First impressions
...I shall put it to the test and report back...

So how did you go?
fer
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Hiking Exped » Sun 17 Jul, 2022 6:18 am

I am a fan of these. Hard to find a 950 down at this price. Very light, lovely loft, warm and seems well made. The service is brilliant and Ryan was really helpful. He tailors sizes more now as well. Used mine camping high in the Alps until winter arrived. He does warmer bags too now.
Hiking Exped
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wildernesswanderer » Tue 02 Aug, 2022 8:14 pm

I’m interested in these, need one in a couple of weeks though which might not be possible but they sure look good
wildernesswanderer
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Specials, Discounts, Adverts