Bit Map Sync's Settings Across Devices (iOS, iPadOS, macOS)

Commercial posts in this forum are permitted. This forum is only visible to members. Topics deleted after 2 idle years.
Forum rules
Topics here should be bushwalking-related. Topic titles should begin with abbreviated state and/or town/suburb enclosed in square brackets IF the topic is only relevant to a particular location. Eg [TAS Hbt].

Topics posted by commercial organisations to advertise or discuss their own products or services are subject to the following additional limitations:
  • maximum of one topic per commercial organisation per week
  • posts from new or otherwise unknown advertisers may be rejected or deleted by moderators if they have any reason to think it might be spam - to be on the safe side, new advertisers can obtain permission from site admins before posting their first advertising topic
  • It must be clear that the post has been written by the organisation which produces or sells the product(s) or service(s) by filling in the "Associated Organisations" field in the user profile.

Note that any content, commercial or otherwise, which is deemed inappropriate for any reason may be deleted without notice.

Bit Map Sync's Settings Across Devices (iOS, iPadOS, macOS)

Postby Son of a Beach » Sun 18 Sep, 2022 8:53 am

Bit Map is an advanced mapping, navigation and GIS app which can use a vast array of online and offline spatial data services and formats (for Apple devices).

The latest update will sync (most of) your settings across all the devices on which you run Bit Map. There's a little more information about which settings do not sync between devices in the user manual here. But most settings do sync, including your list of available network mapping services, which is very handy!

NB: It does not sync locally stored data as these data sets can be too large for automated sync'ing. However, it is trivially easy to copy these data sets between devices manually if you wish.

Speaking of running Bit Map on multiple devices, it now runs on macOS too (in addition to iPhones and iPads). Previously Bit Map would run on Apple Silicon Macs (like most iPad apps do). But now it runs on both Apple Silicon Macs AND on Intel Macs. It still behaves a lot like an iPad app, but I have tweaked some of the behaviours to be more suited to macOS when it runs on that platform. I may add more Mac-specific changes later.

Viewing my latest epic bushwalking track overlaid on the LIST's aerial imagery in full-screen on my large wall-mounted, Mac-connected, TV looks amazing!

GET Bit Map FROM THE APP STORE HERE

For more information, the Bit Map home page is at http://nixanz.com/bitmap/ and says stuff like:

Bit Map is the original custom map navigation app, being first to provide navigation with arbitrary offline maps in 2009.

Rebuilt from scratch for version 7, Bit Map now supports a variety of online vector and raster map services including WFS, WMTS, TMS and XYZ/OSM-compatible services, as well as several offline vector and raster data formats such as GeoPackage, Shapefile, File Geodatabase (read-only), GPX and KML.

Map images can be imported and used as map layers with 4 methods of georeferencing available. Existing georeferencing will be automatically used for some image types.

Bit Map can even produce beautiful web maps that are easy to use and automatically synchronise layers from your device to the web map after the layers are updated!

Bit Map is built on a true GIS foundation and can manage data in hundreds of different coordinate systems, projections and geographic datums. Layers with different projections can be displayed simultaneously in the same map.

Bit Map is still available for FREE on the first day of each month this year and next year. So, even if you don't want to use Bit Map now, download it for free while you can and then delete it. That way, if you do wish to use it in the future, you will not be charged for it again later on, when it is no longer available for free.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Re: Bit Map Sync's Settings Across Devices (iOS, iPadOS, mac

Postby Tantell » Sun 18 Sep, 2022 4:19 pm

Is it only for Apple?
Tantell
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 19 Sep, 2022 6:44 am

Yes. Sorry to users of other platforms. I don’t have time to learn how to develop for other platforms.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Sat 12 Nov, 2022 2:21 pm

Wow... I'm so excited (in a nerdy, geeky kind of way)...

My in-house (not-yet-released) build of Bit Map can now create an update ESRI file geodatabases (.gdb)!!!

It has always been able to read them, but I've been wanting to be able to create and write to them every since I first started Bit Map back in 2009. Yikes, that's a 13 year wait!

I can't take credit for this feature. Bit Map is heavily reliant on the GDAL project for managing spatial data, and GDAL 3.6 was released yesterday. I've managed to build GDAL 3.6 for iOS (after a few emails back and forth with the GDAL developers to sort out some iOS-specific issues), and then rebuild Bit Map using GDAL 3.6, and it can now create and update ESRI file geodatabase data stores! Yay!

Yes, I am very excited! :-) Yes, I'm a geek. Sorry if that's a surprise to you.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Specials, Discounts, Adverts