Desktop version
Commercial posts in this forum are permitted. This forum is only visible to members. Topics deleted after 2 idle years.

Forum rules

Topics here should be bushwalking-related. Topic titles should begin with abbreviated state and/or town/suburb enclosed in square brackets IF the topic is only relevant to a particular location. Eg [TAS Hbt].

Topics posted by commercial organisations to advertise or discuss their own products or services are subject to the following additional limitations:
Note that any content, commercial or otherwise, which is deemed inappropriate for any reason may be deleted without notice.
Post a reply

Kathmandu Shake Dry Jacket $300

Sun 10 Jul, 2022 8:45 pm

For those interested

Zeolite Men's ShakeDry Jacket
Regular$449.98 Now$299.98

https://www.kathmandu.com.au/zeolite-mn ... acket.html

------------------------ I have no shares, interest etc in Kathmandu, just posting for those interested in the jacket.. but not at $450.

Re: Kathmandu Shake Dry Jacket $300

Mon 11 Jul, 2022 10:37 am

I grabbed one of these a while back when it went on sale last. Aside from bringing it along with me on day to day stuff, I've only had it out on a bushwalk in the rain once. It rained fairly solid for about 3-4 hours and I was bone dry underneath. I was climbing a (albeit quite small) mountain, so the heart rate was right up along with perspiration. It breaths very well. All up it's the most effective waterproof / breathable jacket I've ever used. The only question I have, like many others, is the durability. It has a pin hole on the left shoulder. I probably picked it up stuffing it in and out of my work bag and It probably was there before and during the rainy hike and didn't seem to effect it. Any water getting in would have been negligible. I stuck a little square of tenacious tape over it and has stayed stuck through a hand wash. The pack I had on the walk was soaked and I didn't even get wet shoulders from the shoulder straps.

It's impressive stuff that's for sure. I feel like there's a point where even if it fails, if it's lasted long enough to outlast the DWR on a jacket plus paying to reapply it constantly it would eventually pay for a new Shakedry. Even if it works out more expensive, at least it actually does the job it's intended to do. The downside is the lack of features. Some basic pockets would be great, but I know it's not meant for bushwalking so makes sense you wouldn't have them for running. I wouldn't be wearing this off trail bush bashing either. It seems it's easily punctured.

Mon 11 Jul, 2022 4:09 pm

Dexter wrote:The only question I have, like many others, is the durability. It has a pin hole on the left shoulder. I probably picked it up stuffing it in and out of my work bag and It probably was there before and during the rainy hike and didn't seem to effect it. Any water getting in would have been negligible. I stuck a little square of tenacious tape over it and has stayed stuck through a hand wash.

Is it under the shoulder strap Dexter?
If so it's more likely the shoulder straps did it. I know a few had the same problem-micro holes appearing under the shoulder straps.
The 3D Spacer mesh is awfully hard on fabric. Also carrying heavier loads would hasten it's damage.
Good the tenacious tape is working.
For what it's worth I put some on the inside and outside of a hole-two patches a wee bit smaller (a circular patch- is better no corners :D to lift ) than a 5 cent piece. Has held for yonks.
Have you thought about putting it into a ziploc type bag before putting it into your ruckie? :D
Works a treat.

Mon 11 Jul, 2022 4:25 pm

Lamont wrote:
Dexter wrote:The only question I have, like many others, is the durability. It has a pin hole on the left shoulder. I probably picked it up stuffing it in and out of my work bag and It probably was there before and during the rainy hike and didn't seem to effect it. Any water getting in would have been negligible. I stuck a little square of tenacious tape over it and has stayed stuck through a hand wash.

Is it under the shoulder strap Dexter?
If so it's more likely the shoulder straps did it. I know a few had the same problem-micro holes appearing under the shoulder straps.
The 3D Spacer mesh is awfully hard on fabric. Also carrying heavier loads would hasten it's damage.
Good the tenacious tape is working.
I put some on the inside and outside of a hole-two patches a wee bit smaller (a circular patch- is better no corners :D to lift ) than a 5 cent piece. Has held for yonks.
Have you thought about putting it into a ziploc type bag before putting it into your ruckie? :D
Works a treat.

Yeah it's roughly that area of the shoulder and could well be under the strap. I should put it on with my pack to see if the two line up. You can only really see it if you hold the jacket up to a bright light.
If my little square falls off, ill try a round one. I did think about doing that after putting on my lazy square and figured I'd see how it held up first.
It does come in little compression sack which I've somehow misplaced/lost. I have stuck it in a light weight S2S one for now after I noticed the tiny hole, but it did spend a good few months being lazily stuffed into various bags without one.

These jackets are so close to being perfect for on track bushwalking. I don't need an ultra light jacket, and feel as though all they need are some heavier reinforced areas along the shoulders and high wear areas, a couple of pockets and they'd really have it nailed. I'm guessing Gore doesn't have enough confidence in it being sold as a jacket fit for hiking with a pack just yet.

Mon 11 Jul, 2022 4:35 pm

Dexter wrote:Yeah it's roughly that area of the shoulder and could well be under the strap. I should put it on with my pack to see if the two line up. You can only really see it if you hold the jacket up to a bright light.

That's what I've seen. If you walk without a hip belt on the swaying can cause issues too.
All in all it'll probably last a good while longer with some more patching.
Post a reply