Favourite Tasmanian camp sites [Multiple photo warning]

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Postby stu » Fri 21 Jan, 2011 11:58 am

I have been reminiscing about some trips from years past lately & got to thinking about my all time favourite camp sites.
This could be very hard to narrow down for others, as it was for myself, there have been so many fantastic locations to hang out & from my final 5 there are many, many omissions (particularly around the Labyrinth & Arthur Ranges), but I wanted to keep it down to my top 5. It has often been my friends & luck with the weather that has left the fondest memories from trips past & selecting what is memorable to 1 person / party may be different for others.
I'd love to see / hear from others tho & this may also act as a valuable resource to others looking for great locations in our beautiful wild places.

So, on to my Top 5 camp sites:

1. End of Wilmot Ranges, SW Tasmania.
An amazing place after a long, hot & thirsty days walking.
This site we knicknamed the 'Football Field' - it was massive, dead flat, trimmed lawn with a little creek running through it - beautiful.

01 Wilmot Range.jpg
1. End of the Wilmot Range, SW Tasmania. Coronation Peak (left) & Tribulation Ridge (right) in view.

2. Below Double Peak, Frankland Range, SW Tasmania.
Unexpected clear, warm & utterly windless conditions allowed us camp sites on this range walk that would be wind tunnels for others.
This site was in the middle of a very exposed saddle between the 2 peaks of Double Peak & the views over the impoundment were spectacular.

02 Double Peak.JPG
2. Camp on the (normally) exposed saddle between Double Peak, Frankland Range, SW Tasmania.

3. Citadel Shelf camp, Frankland Range, SW Tasmania.
Another from our Frankland Traverse - hard not to choose several from this walk as the conditions were perfect.
Citadel Shelf camp is a beautiful, sheltered terrace on the eastern side of the range with peaks close by & a stream running through it.
After a morning side trip to Remote Peak on the Companion Range & a swim in Croaking Lake we arrived back at camp at lunch time.
My memories of an afternoon of playing cards, drinking scotch & swatting march flies will always bring a smile to my face, so very enjoyable.

03 Citadel Shelf.JPG
3. Camp at Citadel Shelf, Frankland Range, SW Tasmania. The lower of the 2 Citadel Peaks in the background.

4. Leonards Tarn, Cradle Mtn - Lake St Clair NP
Such a beautiful little location with amazing views to surrounding peaks, Pelion West dominating the view across the tarn.
We had beautiful conditions here, with side trips to Perrins Bluff & Mt Achilles before moving on to Pelion West.
The feeling or remoteness there was splendid, and only a days walk from the Overland Track.

04 Leonards Tarn.jpg
4. Leonards Tarn with Pelion West in the distance (photo credit by others).

5. Pool of Memories (aka Lake Dombrovskis) - Cradle Mtn - Lake St Clair NP
Tho I have never stayed here (always near Lake Elysia as it is far less fragile), this little lake has some of the best views anywhere, surely.
I have on numerous occassions stopped here for lunch & or rest stops as I pass through & have always marvelled at the reflected views of Mt Geryon.
Current Park requests are not to camp here, so maybe this one should come under 'Favourite Lunch locations'...still, I couldn't help but include it.

05 Pool of Memories.JPG
5. Pool of Memories (aka Lake Dombrovskis - MT Geryon dominates the background.

Interested to see what other people select as their favourites.
As mentioned tho, the ommissions are far greater than the selections - such a diverse & beautiful little state we have. :D
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Favourite Tasmanian camp sites

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Fri 21 Jan, 2011 2:50 pm

What an awesome thread Stu, nicely done!!
I was lucky enough to be on that Frankland trip, and agree the 1st three spots are the best I have ever stayed at also.
When I have a bit more time I'll add a couple of my own!!
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jenandjen » Sun 23 Jan, 2011 12:52 pm

Hi Stu

What awesome camp sites! Those photos are simply stunning. Well done

jenandjen
jenandjen
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby stepbystep » Sun 23 Jan, 2011 4:57 pm

Nice post Stu,

Not having nearly as many o/nighters under my belt as you my choices are limited.
In general I'd have to say my last campsite was the best as it was my last night in our magnificent wilderness.

This is the pic of that location, an ancient King Billy Pine forest, a spiritual place that will live in my mind forever.

king billy.jpg

The next has to be my favorite spot, I have pitched on the same spot for 4 nights on 2 seperate trips, this is the view from my tent door - I think everyone knows about the magnificent Lake Rhona just over the sand dune....

rhona.jpg

...and lastly from my first full range traverse and longest trip thus far, my camp from high on the Stepped Hills in perfect conditions with a great sunset and sunrise. My 3 companions have had many more better campsites than this one, but it was great for me.....

Stepped Hills.jpg

As a sidenote I would have selected Mt Wright but a cold set in and I had a miserable time, everything in context hey..??

Cheers, sbs
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Sun 23 Jan, 2011 5:06 pm

Some great campsites there guys, nice photos :wink:

I can relate to the thoughts about Leonards Tarn, beautiful location.
I have a few special places not that far from the OLT and side trips that could be 'anywhere' remote. Probably best not shown though...
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Fizzygood » Sun 23 Jan, 2011 8:01 pm

Very nice Stu...

I too have a few faves but I think the most recent (from the saddle behind Jukes Mountain) has bumped to the top...

The view of Frenchmans Cap blew me away!...

Cheers, Erin
Attachments
Jukes Camp.JPG
Fizzygood
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Sun 23 Jan, 2011 8:13 pm

Spot on Erin!!
It was an awesome camp on an awesome range. A great little walk up there with one of my faves also!!
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby MJD » Mon 24 Jan, 2011 8:21 am

Great thread. I was lucky enough to be on that Wilmot-Frankland traverse and would put the first two campsites on top of my list. Citadel Shelf was also great but gets competition from some other trips: the North end of Olympus (the real summit); high on the Ducane Range; & Ossa. Bit of a common theme here, being camping high & good weather. The Ossa one was fun: a June long weekend, no snow, very cold, and the valleys in mist that didn't lift all day - haven't got a picture of the campsite so a sunrise shot will have to do. One bonus of winter walking is that the sun comes up later and you don't have to get up so early :) .
Attachments
M2008D011A.jpg
Next to the summit of Olympus
M2009D021.jpg
Close to the top of the Ducane Range
M2008J018A.jpg
Sunrise from Ossa
Carpe diem
MJD
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lagaro » Mon 24 Jan, 2011 11:27 am

Summit of Mt Ossa was my first camp outside of a "designated" tent site. I don't think i've camped anywhere "designated" since!
DSCF2834.JPG
Mt Ossa camp.

DSCF2876.JPG
Mt Ossa morning.
Lagaro
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Mon 24 Jan, 2011 11:34 am

Second pic is a stunner Mike!!!
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ollster » Mon 24 Jan, 2011 12:15 pm

I understand that pitching on Ossa is discouraged, due to the potential to harm the delicate environment... I don't think this holds when the delicate environment is under a metre of snow. :D
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Mon 24 Jan, 2011 4:56 pm

Again, I was on the Frankland trip, and I'd agree with MJD.

3 others that come to my mind are (Besides anywhere on the Arthurs) The SW cape circuit, Ketchem bay or Windowpane bay (for some reason I didnt take any photos of my tent here) and Lake Rhona.

But I will go with these 3.
2010_1105(064).JPG
Lake Helious. Gorgeous soft, dry camping above a gorgeous alpine lake with views to die for of Geryon, Hyperion, Ossa... so on so on.

2010_1104(103).JPG
Mt Massif. Anyone who has been there will know why this is an amazing place.

DSC03389.JPG
Precipitous Bluff. One of the best High camps going. Views from Wellington to the SW cape and more. A truly huge mtn that is hard to rival anywhere.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Mon 24 Jan, 2011 5:02 pm

As Fizzygood said, the weekend gone's spot was also pretty cool.....
Attachments
2.JPG
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Mon 24 Jan, 2011 5:12 pm

ollster wrote:I understand that pitching on Ossa is discouraged, due to the potential to harm the delicate environment... I don't think this holds when the delicate environment is under a metre of snow. :D

Probably not but everything left will still be there in summer. Its a mess up there atm fellas, trampled cushion, land mines and even fire pits...
maybe, with respect for many being mountaintops (ie generally 'fragile') a topic best left to pics without the need for names?

Some stunning photos coming out though :wink:
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Mon 24 Jan, 2011 5:22 pm

Surely Ossa is now along side Cradle, Hartz, Mt Field... as in it's a sacraficial peak to give to the people in order to save others?? EVERYONE goes up Ossa....
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tasadam » Mon 24 Jan, 2011 7:52 pm

ILUVSWTAS wrote:Surely Ossa is now along side Cradle, Hartz, Mt Field... as in it's a sacraficial peak to give to the people in order to save others?? EVERYONE goes up Ossa....
Interesting perspective. Would be interested to hear Parks opinion of that. Surely if it were the case, the environmental scar can be minimized significantly by some track work and "no-go regen areas" similar to what has been done in other areas.
On that subject, what about that new bridge crossing the creek on the way to Kitchen Hut! Whoa...... I went up to just beyond Kitchen Hut last Thursday with a friend who was doing some food drops, we were walking along chatting then I spotted it and swore mid-sentence...

The pretty pics are great, and as some of us are lucky to have experienced, many of these places are for the realm of the "highly experienced bushwalker only" (quoting the guidebooks).
As such, please consider being mindful of posting exact locations here if you think it prudent. There's no specific rule against it, and we're not trying to make it exclusive or anything, but there are a number of additional factors to consider when camping in some of these locations, not least of which is the sensitivity of the environment. So perhaps a less descriptive name like "on another mountain in central Tas" would suit better?
Ossa is just one example, okay to visit as a day trip if you felt inclined, but definitely not a good enviro for the average overland-trekker to consider as an extra stop!

My list includes a heap, but rather than name them I'll dig out some photos when I next fire up that computer.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby north-north-west » Fri 28 Jan, 2011 7:09 pm

tasadam wrote:On that subject, what about that new bridge crossing the creek on the way to Kitchen Hut! Whoa...... I went up to just beyond Kitchen Hut last Thursday with a friend who was doing some food drops, we were walking along chatting then I spotted it and swore mid-sentence....

You swear? Really?

Wish I'd been there.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby tasadam » Fri 28 Jan, 2011 9:23 pm

north-north-west wrote:You swear? Really?

viewtopic.php?p=68988#p68988
tasadam wrote:...yes, I sometimes swear, oh dear :oops: ...
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Re: Favourite Tasmanian camp sites [Multiple photo warning]

Postby frenchy_84 » Tue 01 Feb, 2011 11:44 am

My favourite camp site is extremly weather dependant and water is scarce and a fair walk away but i think the photos speak for themselves.

i would also agree with others on Helios, Massif isnt to bad either. Dixons kingdom would be in my top 5 as well
Attachments
Picture 148.jpg
view to the west
Picture 156.jpg
view to the north
Picture 119.jpg
view to the south
frenchy_84
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Nick S » Sat 05 Feb, 2011 8:22 am

Awesome shots frenchy. great thread too.
I'll add a few of mine.

Cathedral Mt.jpg
Cathedral Mt.jpg (256.09 KiB) Viewed 37726 times
Wandering above the cliffs on Cathedral Mt looking down onto the Overland track. And yes, I think that is a coleman 3 man tent haha.

Lake Oenone.jpg
Lake Oenone.jpg (275.17 KiB) Viewed 37726 times
Walked halfway up Mt Olympus when the fagus was out and camped by Lake Oenone. Cracker day too it was

Massif bowl camp.jpg
Massif bowl camp.jpg (243 KiB) Viewed 37726 times
The Massif bowl on the Du Cane range was pretty special place. As the sun was setting I had to decide which set of panoramic views I should take photos of, as it was a couple hundred metres between the sets of cliffs.

Mt Innes.jpg
Mt Innes.jpg (306.9 KiB) Viewed 37726 times
I spent the night on Mt Innes wrapped up in a tarp, but certainly the most remote place I've been to in Tassie. Incredible sense of space.

Mt Tyndall .jpg
Mt Tyndall .jpg (270.01 KiB) Viewed 37726 times
Had a great overnighter on Mt Tyndall, you drive for a few hours, walk another 2-3 and you're in this amazing place 200m above a lake with views over Eldon peak to the OT mountains.

Nick
Nick S
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby north-north-west » Sat 05 Feb, 2011 5:11 pm

Nick S wrote:Had a great overnighter on Mt Tyndall, you drive for a few hours, walk another 2-3 and you're in this amazing place 200m above a lake with views over Eldon peak to the OT mountains.

I've been looking at the possibily of a quick visit in there on the way down (or back up). A little overnighter like that sounds brilliant, as long as the weather holds up.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby tas-man » Wed 04 May, 2011 2:58 pm

I just have to add to this thread my absolute favourite campsite ever (so far) on the New Harbour Range, that got me the 2008 "Picture of the Year". A superb campsite is a combination of "location, location, & location," AND WEATHER! 8)
NHR Campsite.JPG
New Harbour Range high camp.
NHR Campsite.JPG (198.01 KiB) Viewed 37032 times

East%20Panorma%20New%20Harbour%20Ra.jpg
Eastern view to Ironbound Range from New Harbour Range high camp.
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby scrub master » Wed 04 May, 2011 3:15 pm

I doubt if many people know about this spot. We only found it by accident a couple of years ago and it's been a favourite ever since
P4080083.JPG
P4080083.JPG (83.32 KiB) Viewed 37022 times

it's a wallaby lawn shelf on the shores of St Clair. Like most of the sites here so far, don't think it would be that pleasant in the crud though

this one from a previous life ain't too bad either

bivy site below pompeii pillar.jpg
scrub master
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby tas-man » Wed 04 May, 2011 3:20 pm

A second favourite campsite is at Lake Sydney on the manicured alpine grass flats with menadering stream providing running water at your tent front door. This area goes under water occasionally when the sink hole outlet below Lake Sydney blocks up or can't handle the rainfall, but it has a surreal atmosphere to it.

Lake Sydney.jpg
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Wed 04 May, 2011 3:25 pm

Agreed with Lake Sydney!!
Attachments
2011_0103(003).JPG
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby gayet » Wed 04 May, 2011 3:47 pm

These are fabulous!!
Please, can they still be available, permitted (other than those that are no longer anyway) and accessible to one like me when I do finally get to live there!
gayet

Region: Victoria

Postby whynotwalk » Wed 04 May, 2011 4:30 pm

Very inspirational everyone! I agree about Lakes Rhona and Sydney. You do have to beware of sudden water-level rises in that odd karst drainage system at Lk Sydney. Sometimes the pictured campsites are underwater :oops:

I'll include one from Mt Massif - superb when conditions are like this :D
CampEastMassif.JPG
A high camp on Mt Massif

Likewise in fair weather, you're spoiled for choice on the Tyndall Range.
Tyndalls.JPG
An un-named lake on the Tyndalls

cheers

Peter
Solvitur ambulando (Walking solves it) - attributed to St Augustine, 4th century AD.
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby norts » Wed 04 May, 2011 6:53 pm

These would be my two favourites.
IMG_0642 (Large).jpg
High at the head of Pine Valley near lake Helios
IMG_0738 (Large).jpg
Under Paddys Nut

My next two would be Lake Petrarch and High on Cathedral

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Wed 04 May, 2011 7:03 pm

Wow! What a place you guys live at. I can't wait till I'm in Tasmania in 6 to 10 months time, will be starting my holidays on the overland track, plan to take my time, 5 to 6 nights on the track, than staying at Hobart for a couple of weeks. Would love to pitch my tent in some of those locations myself.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Wed 04 May, 2011 7:03 pm

Wow! What a place you guys live at. I can't wait till I'm in Tasmania in 6 to 10 months time, will be starting my holidays on the overland track, plan to take my time, 5 to 6 nights on the track, than staying at Hobart for a couple of weeks. Would love to pitch my tent in some of those locations myself.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Next

Return to Tasmania