Mt Sedgewick from Lake Margaret townsite

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt Sedgewick from Lake Margaret townsite

Postby Lostsoul » Sun 05 Dec, 2021 12:08 pm

Mainly looking for info on access to the Lake Margaret townsite,not the walk itself.
Can you drive all the way in and leave a car there overnight?Any gates or permission needed to be sought? Thanks in advance
Lostsoul
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Mt Sedgewick from Lake Margaret townsite

Postby north-north-west » Mon 06 Dec, 2021 1:24 pm

This is one that Bill Wilkinson has been trying to get official word on for the Abels books.
Last I heard, the legal situation is that there is public vehicle access as far as the second gate, which is still three or four km from the township. Limited parking near the gate, which must be kept clear, so be careful about where you put the vehicle. Trouble is, this is subject to the first gate being open, which is not always the case. Check with Hydro.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Lostsoul » Mon 06 Dec, 2021 4:57 pm

Cheers,I will check with someone I know that works for Hydro and see if there is a key available for access.I’ve heard there is a business that does tours of the townsite and power station.
Lostsoul
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nuts » Tue 07 Dec, 2021 9:32 am

I've suggested the Qtwn taxi to a couple of groups for overnight walks 'near' town.Though then iirc there was no reception for the exit other than calling from somewhere higher(?) Got the impression at Lk. Margaret (6/7 yrs ago) that closing the gate/s could happen ad-hoc depending on staffing but also that it's not the best place to leave a car.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Tasmania