Walker registration for the Du Cane range

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Walker registration for the Du Cane range

Postby kwad12 » Sun 04 Jun, 2023 2:17 pm

Hi,

Myself and 2 other walkers were planning on doing a traverse of the du cane range in late September. We have registrations for the 25th for the overland track starting from lake st clair. I just wanted to double check if anyone knows if this is necessary or I should cancel the registration as we will not be walking the overland track itself. One more question I had was one of the walkers might have to postpone our start date to the 26th. Will this present much issue if we are booked for the 25th, or will we be fine to start a day late (assuming the weather is fine)? I can't seem to find much information on the parks website. This is our first attempt of the du cane range however we are all very experienced walkers and navigators, and I just wanted to double check we were following registration rules to be fair to other walkers.

Thank you!
kwad12
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Walker registration for the Du Cane range

Postby Last » Sun 04 Jun, 2023 3:34 pm

Hi kwad12,

No registration required for the Du Cane Range at this stage, though it's probably only a matter of time. Even if you return via the Overland track from the Du Cane gap booking is not required. You only need to sign in and out at Lake St Clair. If the weather is bad, delay, it's a dangerous place in bad weather.
noen ganger er det godt å være alene i villmarken
Last
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby kwad12 » Mon 05 Jun, 2023 1:17 am

Glad to know we don't need registration. That makes us a bit more flexible too depending on the weather. Thanks for the advice!
kwad12
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby headwerkn » Mon 05 Jun, 2023 9:18 am

There's no specific booking system in place, but Parks (as per Overland Track Usage Guidelines https://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13261) do appreciate an email or phone call just to inform them of your itinerary. This is so they can keep tabs on who's where in case of emergencies ie. bushfires. And presumably get an idea of how many groups are using the 'off track' circuits near the OLT.

They generally prefer groups to go clockwise ie. in Pine Valley-Labyrinth and out via Falling Mountain. Occasionally you might meet a little 'resistance' going anticlockwise; strictly speaking going north beyond Bert Nicholls Hut is kinda pushing the usual OLT Booking System rules. But that's a moot point if you're going in September.

Good luck with the trip - it's a beautiful area, on a clear day you can literally see 3/4 of the state. Reiterating Last's comment, keep a very close eye on the weather... between Du Cane and Falling is very exposed. We've had too many trips there cancelled due to bad weather.
headwerkn
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby kwad12 » Mon 05 Jun, 2023 6:32 pm

headwerkn wrote:There's no specific booking system in place, but Parks (as per Overland Track Usage Guidelines https://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13261) do appreciate an email or phone call just to inform them of your itinerary. This is so they can keep tabs on who's where in case of emergencies ie. bushfires. And presumably get an idea of how many groups are using the 'off track' circuits near the OLT.

They generally prefer groups to go clockwise ie. in Pine Valley-Labyrinth and out via Falling Mountain. Occasionally you might meet a little 'resistance' going anticlockwise; strictly speaking going north beyond Bert Nicholls Hut is kinda pushing the usual OLT Booking System rules. But that's a moot point if you're going in September.

Good luck with the trip - it's a beautiful area, on a clear day you can literally see 3/4 of the state. Reiterating Last's comment, keep a very close eye on the weather... between Du Cane and Falling is very exposed. We've had too many trips there cancelled due to bad weather.

Thank you! Ill send them an email with our itinerary- we are definitely planning on going clockwise and will be keeping a close eye on the weather.
kwad12
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Tasmania