Video crossing the Lodden & Make Wilderness More Accessible?

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Video crossing the Lodden & Make Wilderness More Accessi

Postby Fizzygood » Wed 01 Oct, 2008 4:03 pm

James Calder complained about the mud across the Lodden Plains in 1840... that is almost 170 years ago... and here we are still complaining! :lol:

To make it easier would open the area up to many more visitors. Yes, good for the walkers who may not otherwise get to a place like that, but maybe not so good for Frenchmans Cap and surrounds... :|

Its been a bog across the Loddens for a long time... My opinion, leave it alone and if you want to see what's on the other side go in summer or be prepared for the mud!
Fizzygood
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Video crossing the Lodden & Make Wilderness More Accessi

Postby Trapper » Thu 09 Oct, 2008 8:22 am

Thanks Fizzygood for a great video. I am sitting here chuckling to myself about how you can start off with a great video and end up in a philosophical discussion about "who can see and do what". But that is what forums (fora?) are for.

Another thanks Fizzygood for helping me settle an argument with my wife. I have said she is not allowed to count the 7 peak bagging points for Frenchmans as she has not crossed the Lodden, but took the easy way and rafted the Franklin to get there. She has refuted this strongly; until she saw the video of the mud, and now can see my point. So we have decided to go together the "real" way so she can legally count the points.

To develop or not develop? I remember walking in the Cradle Lake St Clair park in the sixties as a young teenager, and the mud was the same as the Lodden. I can remember mud up to my ar ... mpits. The walk from Waterfall Valley to Windamere wasn't the pleasant hour or so stroll it is now. The board walk over the button grass plains approaching Windamere is preventing present and future damage, but the degradation from thirty or forty years ago is still blantantly obvious. If people are going to go there, we need to look after it. If that means boardwalking the worst areas (or most fragile) - do it. Frenchmans reputation is such that it will always be a desirable destination with locals and visitors alike. We should all be aware of the nature of the trail and be prepared to "barge through", but many will always try to be cute and keep their tootsie dry, and try to go around the mud patches. This leads to the damage still evident after many years on the Overland track as mentioned above. We must keep these places for future generations. If that means minimal infastructure to prevent massive degradation, so be it.

NS
Trapper
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Previous

Return to Tasmania