Mt Dromedary - the best way up?

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Mt Dromedary - the best way up?

Postby Vitality » Tue 28 Nov, 2017 12:05 am

Hi everyone
I am the landowner at the end of Cranes Road. I thought I would put a reply to some of your comments.

The locked gate at the end of Cranes Road is a private driveway belonging to me, Grant Pennicott. It is not a thoroughfare for bushwalkers, a right of way, or a Reserve Road. It is a private driveway.

Although 20-odd years ago we used to let bushwalkers use this access to Mount Dromedary. Google maps incorrectly shows my driveway as a continuation of Cranes Road. I have contacted them over this and they will be fixing it next year. Any books or maps showing my driveway as access to Mandrel Marjorie is wrong. This has been confirmed with the Brighton Council lands titles office.

Anyone is more than welcome to contact me via email if they wish and I'll explain to them further but there is definitely no access through my property to Mount Dromedary peaks. As people have mentioned there is access given by private land owner at Princelings Road and also Stories Road at Broadmarsh fire platform peak.

Just for the record I don't consider myself rude or angry but on the contrary 20% of bushwalkers that I chat to I find rude and ignorant and they think they have a right just because they are bushwalkers to walk across someone else's land which is trespassing).

And of course my driveway is made available to emergency services including in the Fire Brigade if needed.

Kindest regards
Grant Pennicott
Vitality
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Warin » Tue 28 Nov, 2017 6:42 am

Thanks Grant.

A few people believe a line on a map gives them a right to use it, rather than an indication of a feature that could be used for finding their location.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Vitality » Wed 29 Nov, 2017 11:51 pm

chiz wrote:The Cranes Road approach can be used to gain access to the mountain, however it involves crossing private property. Despite the signage indicating that people cannot proceed beyond that point, it is in fact a public road reservation that is maintained by Council for public access for approx another 500m beyond the bend with the signage
Vitality
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Ordex » Sat 18 Apr, 2020 12:32 pm

Vitality wrote:Hi everyone
I am the landowner at the end of Cranes Road. I thought I would put a reply to some of your comments.

The locked gate at the end of Cranes Road is a private driveway belonging to me, Grant Pennicott. It is not a thoroughfare for bushwalkers, a right of way, or a Reserve Road. It is a private driveway.

LISTmap clearly shows two road casements continuing to Mount Dromedary Conservation Area from the end of Cranes Road (see attached map). Cranes Road itself is also within a road casement.

The Parcels layer on LISTmap also show private property on both sides of the road casement, but not the casement itself (ie. road casement is not private property).

Can you explain why you would be restricting access on a road casement?

Feel free to explore Land Tenure on LISTmap: https://maps.thelist.tas.gov.au/listmap/app/list/map?bookmarkId=477765
Attachments
PublicAccess.JPG
Ordex
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Warin » Sat 18 Apr, 2020 12:52 pm

https://www.thelist.tas.gov.au/app/cont ... 2f295acc97

I quote a few words ....
"Driveways both public and private"
"those considered to be the principal driveways or ones with significance were captured."
"Vehicular tracks (Tran_Class 6) are attributed `private' unless they are on Crown Land and unobstructed by a gate or other barrier, in which case they are assumed to be `public'."

Umm ... Does LIST distinguish between 'public' and 'private'? From the above the 'public'/'private' looks to be arbitrary and not based on any legal source.

???

I think using LIST as a source to 'public'/'private' roads may well lead to errors. Possibly the local council could be a better source.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Tortoise » Fri 26 Jan, 2024 8:16 pm

Can anyone confirm what public access there is now? I can't find Princelings Rd (mentioned in this thread) on a search on LISTmap, but even if I could, the private landowner may have changed. Somewhere else I saw that Braslins Rd access is no longer available, and it's not mentioned in this thread. Does anybody know if there's legal access, and if so, where from? Thanks.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Roadtonowhere » Fri 26 Jan, 2024 8:58 pm

Alltrails explains the current arrangement from the end of Braslins Rd - including the private property 'detour' - in the comments.

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/austral ... ak-circuit
Roadtonowhere
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Tortoise » Fri 26 Jan, 2024 9:03 pm

Oops. I didn't scroll down far enough to see that. :roll: Thanks, Rtn. That's the most recent info I've seen.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Previous

Return to Tasmania