Coming back to Tassie again! What to do?

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Coming back to Tassie again! What to do?

Postby johnw » Tue 28 Oct, 2008 12:42 pm

I have some time off work at Xmas. Last night I discovered I could get certain flights through the Virgin Blue web site from Sydney to Launceston and back for $85 each way (23kg checked baggage $8 extra). At that price I couldn't resist, so I booked the tickets on the spot :D . Flying down on Dec 26 and returning Jan 3.

Now I just need to work out what we're going to do while we're there. Probably looking at a 4-6 day trip somewhere. This is really rough thinking aloud and I need to study the maps properly, but initially thinking about these ideas:

• Walls of Jerusalem - Been on a day trip there once only to Dixons Kingdom. Thinking about a circuit of some sort, maybe Lakes Adelaide, Meston etc. Alternatively maybe a base camp at Wild Dog creek and just do day trips - Mt Jerusalem, Solomons Throne and so on.
  • Arm River Track into the Central Reserve - and do I don't know what, but wouldn't mind a better look at that area.
  • WOJ to various spots - Exit via Mt Roogona/Lake Myrtle track back onto Mersey Forest Rd.
  • Higgs track to Lady Lake then visit various lakes, Nameless, Lucy Long etc. Return to LL or finish elsewhere?
  • Cradle Mtn to Lake Rodway, Waterfall Valley. Could that be sensibly extended without involving the OT any further?

I won't have a vehicle this trip, so will be pre-arranging transport to drop off and pick up at agreed points/times. So getting lost etc is not an option :wink:.

There are probably many other ideas I haven't yet considered. Any thoughts?
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Coming back to Tassie again! What to do?

Postby tasadam » Tue 28 Oct, 2008 8:57 pm

Have you ever done the Arm river track? Go in that way and then from Peloin, head either north or south - take your pick.
Only down side is the quantity of people you are probably going to encounter (though I do not know first hand as have only done it in Winter).
Or go in Arm River, climb Pillinger (great up-close-and-personal views of a lot of the park), camp near Lake Ayr & climb Oakleigh, climb Ossa or if you're inclined you could tackle the Pelion's, Thetis etc from a base around Peloin Plains or Pelion hut.
Then go out again via Arm.
There is a smallish circuit you can do on the way in on Arm River track, likely you will read about it here somewhere, the side track towards Pillinger that, if you keep going, comes out on the main Arm rvr track further on.

Then there's Frenchmans...

Nothing wrong with the Walls.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac
Region: Tasmania

Postby johnw » Wed 29 Oct, 2008 8:56 am

tasadam wrote:Have you ever done the Arm river track? Go in that way and then from Peloin, head either north or south - take your pick.
Only down side is the quantity of people you are probably going to encounter (though I do not know first hand as have only done it in Winter).
Or go in Arm River, climb Pillinger (great up-close-and-personal views of a lot of the park), camp near Lake Ayr & climb Oakleigh, climb Ossa or if you're inclined you could tackle the Pelion's, Thetis etc from a base around Peloin Plains or Pelion hut.
Then go out again via Arm.
There is a smallish circuit you can do on the way in on Arm River track, likely you will read about it here somewhere, the side track towards Pillinger that, if you keep going, comes out on the main Arm rvr track further on.

Then there's Frenchmans...

Nothing wrong with the Walls.

Thanks Adam for the great ideas. So many to choose from and they're all good. :D

We haven't walked the Arm River track but when doing the OT at a similar time last year there were quite a few people at New Pelion who came in that way and said it was a good trip. I doubt it would worry us too much if busy, as we walked the OT in peak season and often didn't see anyone for hours on end. Ah yes, Mt Pillinger, Lake Ayr, Mt Oakleigh, the Pelions etc. Plenty of options there. We climbed Ossa then so probably wouldn't do it again this time. Old Pelion hut just came to mind also.

I did consider Frenchman's and would love to do it one day, but hoping to keep this trip a bit more relaxed and FC seems like a bit of a mission (watched excellent video by Fizzygood recently). And I'd have to buy a giant pair of gaiters to deal with all that mud :lol:.

Still undecided, but I'm leaning towards the Walls; we could build on our limited but existing knowledge of what's up there and can have some flexibility. Although I guess the same philosophy applies to the Pelion area.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Fizzygood » Wed 29 Oct, 2008 3:59 pm

Hi John,

Arm River track is a nice walk but for my money if I was flying in I would go for the Walls...

Here are a few pics to help you decide ;)

Cheers, Erin

Admin Note: Pictures removed due to exceeding the 200k per user per topic limit outside of the gallery. Sorry. :-)
Fizzygood
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby flyfisher » Wed 29 Oct, 2008 6:23 pm

How could anyone resist a trip to the WOJ with that sought of enticement. :D :mrgreen:

FF
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby johnw » Thu 30 Oct, 2008 8:34 am

Fizzygood wrote:Hi John,

Arm River track is a nice walk but for my money if I was flying in I would go for the Walls...

Here are a few pics to help you decide ;)

Cheers, Erin

Thanks Erin,
Nice photos, brings back memories. I hope the weather is as good as that if we go up there again! I think I'm starting to be drawn to the Walls... :)
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Wed 26 Nov, 2008 12:57 pm

Confirmed we're doing a 7 day trip through the Walls :D straight after Christmas. Everything is coming together with flights, accommodation, and road transport now arranged.

We're starting from the main Walls carpark. Will probably spend the first couple of nights at Wild Dog Creek exploring nearby during the day. We'll exit via the Lake Bill/Myrtle (Juno Creek) track. I've arranged to be picked up from there, so will probably spend the last night at Lake Myrtle.

Now I just need to make up the bit in the middle :) . Any thoughts? We haven't ventured past Dixons Kingdom before and I've got in mind lakes Ball, Meston, Adelaide (plus Bill and Myrtle) at least. Also hopefully climbing Mt Jerusalem, Solomons Throne, possibly Mt Rogoona. Should that keep us busy enough for 7 days? I'd like to keep the trip relaxed and not rushed.

I'm also researching what maps to take. At the moment I'm using my Cathedral 1:25000, WOJ NP 1:25000 and Cradle Mtn/Lake St Clair NP 1:100,000 to do the planning. I want to get the other 1:25000 maps that will cover where we go but would like to avoid to taking dozens of them. For example if there's a just a small patch on one map that's relevant I could use the 1:100,000 instead. At the moment it looks like we could potentially need Pillans, Ada, Olive and Du Cane. Although the WOJ map could substitute for Pillans I think. Which maps do people consider essential for this area?
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Robbo » Wed 26 Nov, 2008 1:51 pm

johnw wrote:Which maps do people consider essential for this area?

If you are walking on reasonably marked tracks, and from what you've mentioned this is the case, you will not need more than the 1:100000, Mersey, map. The Walls map and Cathedral and Du Cane Maps are useful to give more detail of the main parts of the walk you are planning, but not crucial.

Tony Robinson

Also - look at google maps before you go. This gives a reasonable view of scrub and so forth once you get right in close...
"The place between your comfort zone and your dream is where your life takes place." Nick Vujicic.
Robbo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Gilson College
Region: Victoria

Postby johnw » Thu 27 Nov, 2008 10:12 am

Robbo wrote:If you are walking on reasonably marked tracks, and from what you've mentioned this is the case, you will not need more than the 1:100000, Mersey, map. The Walls map and Cathedral and Du Cane Maps are useful to give more detail of the main parts of the walk you are planning, but not crucial.

Thanks Robbo. Yes, I'm not anticipating any major navigation challenges (depending on weather of course). Mostly on tracks although I'd expect only vague pads in places. I think Dixons Kingdom to Lake Ball through Jaffa Vale may be nominally trackless, but it's not far and from what I've read doesn't sound difficult. Some side trips might not have tracks, Mt Rogoona is one I think, if we do it.

I'll get the 1:100,000 Mersey map, but probably still take WOJ and Cathedral since I already have them.

Six or seven years ago the goverment map shop in Sydney cleared out it's interstate stock, inlcuding most of the Tasmap 1:100,000 series and many 1:25,000s. I could have bought one of each for some ridiculous price like $1 or $2 each. Back then I'd only fairly recently taken up bushwalking and Tasmania was a distant possibility, so didn't get them. Now, a number of Tassie trips later... :roll:

Robbo wrote:Also - look at google maps before you go. This gives a reasonable view of scrub and so forth once you get right in close...

Good idea. thanks for reminding me.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Robbo » Thu 27 Nov, 2008 4:08 pm

johnw wrote:I think Dixons Kingdom to Lake Ball through Jaffa Vale may be nominally trackless

Just make your way to the eastern side of Jaffa Vale and you'll find a fairly well defined track. Once you get to Lake Ball it is very open and easy to pick the route.

johnw wrote:Tasmap 1:100,000 series and many 1:25,000s. I could have bought one of each for some ridiculous price like $1 or $2 each

Hindsight is always a wonderful thing... now if I had only bought that stuff from the US when the $ was 98c :cry:

Tony Robinson
"The place between your comfort zone and your dream is where your life takes place." Nick Vujicic.
Robbo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Gilson College
Region: Victoria

Postby johnw » Fri 28 Nov, 2008 9:22 am

Robbo wrote:
johnw wrote:I think Dixons Kingdom to Lake Ball through Jaffa Vale may be nominally trackless

Just make your way to the eastern side of Jaffa Vale and you'll find a fairly well defined track. Once you get to Lake Ball it is very open and easy to pick the route.

OK thanks :). Last night I bought John Chapman's Cradle Mtn/Lake St Clair/WOJ book as it was on sale. Some good info in that too. I've already started dreaming about other future trips :wink: .
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Mon 01 Dec, 2008 12:13 pm

I picked up the Mersey 1:100,000 map on the weekend. Looks ideal for this and future trip possibilities. Now I can more easily see how everything links up with other walks in that region, including those we've already done. Which started me dreaming again (probably a dangerous thing :wink:). I can see a chance of also venturing to Junction Lake if time/weather etc is suitable.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Tasmania