South Coast Track fishing options?

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

South Coast Track fishing options?

Postby SteveJ » Tue 20 Aug, 2013 11:18 am

I am walking the south coast track at the end of Febuary, I know there are trout in the New R. and lagoon, are there any other of the waterways worth fishing. Also are there other species like bream flathead etc in the creeks/bays etc. Weighing up the worth of carrying the extra weight of a fly or spin rod, is it worth taking a packraft? Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated (PM if you'd prefer not to share too much) I would love to catch the southern most trout in Australia :-)

Steve
SteveJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: South Coast Track fishing options?

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Tue 20 Aug, 2013 12:10 pm

Trout in new river are very small, flathead off the beach IF you are lucky enough to get flat seas.... Parrot fish and wrasse caught off most rocks, but as a fisherman you would know these are barely palatable.

If you have mask and snorkel PM me and i could tell you where to get some Abalone.

Carrying anything more than a handline would be a waste of time imo. Packraft also.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Strider » Tue 20 Aug, 2013 12:29 pm

Anyone know how trout originally found their way into New River? Presumably they were very very lost, rather than an intentional introduction?
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby SteveJ » Tue 20 Aug, 2013 2:26 pm

I believe the trout in that system are sea runners, common to the rivers on both the east and west coast so I would assume they have naturally (unnaturally) spread from there.

Iluvswtas, I am allergic to abalone :-( but thanks for the offer. I have seen drummer caught off the SCT rocks (on Youtube) but I would rather pursue flathead or small trout. I have reliable reports of trout around the 2lb mark from New R, not huge but big enough. There would have to be bream in there as well given their prolific numbers in other east and west coast rivers.
SteveJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Strider » Tue 20 Aug, 2013 2:34 pm

ILUVSWTAS wrote:If you have mask and snorkel PM me and i could tell you where to get some Abalone.

And a license :wink:
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby being_wise » Wed 17 Mar, 2021 5:49 pm

ILUVSWTAS wrote: If you have mask and snorkel PM me and i could tell you where to get some Abalone.

Hey ILIVSWTAS, I'd be interested in this Abalone Tip! Its my partners birthday halfway through our trip and this could be the perfect treat! Do you know if there are any mussels or other treats that can be found (with a license of course!)

Cheers
being_wise
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Tasmania