For Sale - Pristine Tasmanian Wilderness

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: For Sale - Pristine Tasmanian Wilderness

Postby Nuts » Mon 26 Nov, 2018 12:34 pm

Look what we've become.. what a 'lodge' actually ends up looking like, and at the support these visionaries get :( :

https://www.facebook.com/Tasmania/video ... 284170692/

Is this a properly disclosed image for what we expect passes as a 'lodge'... never mind 'eco-lodge', destined for our WWHA?

Screen Shot 2018-11-26 at 5.38.13 pm.png
Screen Shot 2018-11-26 at 5.38.13 pm.png (408.13 KiB) Viewed 44526 times
Last edited by Nuts on Mon 26 Nov, 2018 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Nuts » Mon 26 Nov, 2018 1:24 pm

.. )
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnrs » Tue 27 Nov, 2018 4:08 pm

Fancy lodge
But I hear the Walking Company is not much liked by its guides at present.
I wonder why that may be??
John
johnrs
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Nuts » Wed 28 Nov, 2018 4:06 pm

Indeed.

So.. related to earlier in this thread; I caught Bob's spiel for Tarkine Track funding on The Drum. I can't imagine, even in the murky world of politics, the application is anything but a gamble.

Once again..

You can hardly protest that jobs aren't created locally by eg.mining and expect use local employment as a selling point for tourism? When the track money doesn't flow there what was Bob quoted as saying in support of such employment, anywhere?? Funding is won?, the 'win' subjecting that wilderness to the same assault we see happening elsewhere??

And The Greens support what now?, a Tarkine track in principle or (as is inferred) this funding 'to build 'a new hut-based walking track' ?

Hopefully the proper pollies are too busy squabbling to notice..

35.25: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-27/ ... 7/10560186
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby weetbix456 » Wed 28 Nov, 2018 8:57 pm

TWC has a lot to answer for in my opinion. The epitome of a squeeze mentality for greeds sake. There is nothing "eco-friendly" about that (or their other current future proposals!!) - no one actually truly walks away with an appreciated outdoor immersion experience. Maybe I was off with the fairies somewhere whilst it was all being advertised - but I was amazed by how easy their additional huts flew under the radar, after such criticism was originally felt during the construction of the three government ones. What happens when a precedent gets set I guess..
weetbix456
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TWGA, TCIA, CragCare

Postby Nuts » Thu 29 Nov, 2018 11:05 am

Yeah, a lot of the opposition I recall was to the introduction of the new level of fee's, for the public huts. And now a large part of the support is equally self-focussed, 'that's my idea of wilderness camping'.

Nothing would really be good enough for me, I see a bunch of shacks with at footprint at least twice that size at each site. And I see their growth at a cost to places to public walkers as is also evident elsewhere. I can't help but see unnecessary impact on all levels.

Financially. The daily return/royalty to the public and the payment to staff would be no different by simply adding a few group platforms, available for booking for groups in competition with or when a commercial operator wasn't there (a cluster of mid-week dates at worst, as occurs on the Overland Track).

If anything more at all? (though i'd still like to see the opportunity for public camping in my park developments, even to allow a different level of cost for the inclusion of families). These are public reserves, recreation zones were presented to the public in management plans, not (dodgy) 'economic' zones.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Tue 18 Dec, 2018 10:18 am

It's good to see the questions brought up through this. The realities for regional areas transitioning to tourism and how tourism growth desperately needs some form of master plan (taken seriously):

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-17/ ... m/10620968
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby gatesy » Tue 18 Dec, 2018 4:43 pm

johnrs wrote:But I hear the Walking Company is not much liked by its guides at present.
I wonder why that may be??
John

I second that

I hear that they're desperate for guides on their new 3 capes project as some guides haven't enjoyed it/aren't interested and they're looking beyond people who have have done the guiding courses. I've bumped into a few who said they didn't like it and didn't want anything to do with it.

While we're at it...
I was a student in the guiding/outdoor rec course in Hobart where they train guides and get them work as you probably know. This course is very close to those companies like the TWC and Maira with Mr Johnstone. They support the expansion of 'eco tourism' (or whatever you call it) to a high extent, for their benefit... Need I say anymore? I think you get the picture.

I did not enjoy the course and do not recommend it.

Note I'm not talking down guides, just the course. There are some great people out there who are guides!

Gatesy
gatesy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby bogholesbuckethats » Wed 19 Dec, 2018 7:20 am

That looks like a pad.
bogholesbuckethats

Postby Nuts » Sat 29 Dec, 2018 12:54 pm

“total comfort in the last place you would expect it”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... rfVEOLO97g
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tommydoodle » Sat 29 Dec, 2018 3:21 pm

I'm in two minds about the arguments presented here. In so many ways I agree that the wilderness should have minimal development, however, I would also remind everyone that tourism to Tasmania has risen from 100 000 people a year five years ago to over 1.2 million a year now (see link below), which generates over $2 billion a year in revenue, and that is expected to double again over the next 5 years. Given the relative 'undiscovered' status of the Tasmanian wilderness, it's inevitable that a reasonable percentage of these visitors will be the overseas "instagram style" of adventurer: seeking new "first of its kind" experiences that they can post about on social media for kudos, and that means they are going to go off-piste. That is, they will very much have the intention of seeking out pristine areas that no-one has experienced before, and will be more than willing to violate any state or federal laws or environmental considerations to get there. So we're going to see a rise in damage to wilderness areas, track crowding, a demand for high quality remote area accommodation and most certainly a rise in remote area rescues.

A decent analogy to this issue would be the French Alps, which in 1970 saw relatively few rescues, and was a region frequented only by experienced climbers who were (again, relatively) few in number. Nowadays, those same alps are absolutely overrun by walkers and tourists, and climbing Mt Blanc is marketed as an 'experience'. I myself walked the Tour du Mont Blanc two years ago in peak season, and encountered well over 1000 fellow walkers on the track over a 8 day period (yes, I was so stunned by the number of people I started counting).

I guess what I am trying to say is that given the money involved, considerations of environmental protection are going to be secondary to the potential for profit the region offers, whether we walkers think that is the right thing or not. It is inevitable the Tasmanian wilderness is going to undergo phenomenal development over the next 50 years.

As such, I'm moving away from the idea that halting wilderness development is a possibility: I don't think when you talk about billions of potential dollars involved that even the collective voice of all Tasmanian bushwalkers will even rate more than an inconvenient whisper of protest. Rather, I'm in favour of controlled development with consultation. That is, a systematic plan to avoid destruction of wilderness ecosystems by consulting with qualified parties (such as bushwalkers) about where and how this inevitable development should occur, and how it can be done with minimal impact to the environment. I'd rather take that path than bang my head against a brick wall trying to tell people that the ecosystems of the areas involved are too fragile for development - everyone knows that already - and if they ignore that fact now, you can be guaranteed they'll ignore it in the future.

Maybe the best chance we have is to develop a stronger political voice (I mean, for God's sake, the hunters and shooters got someone into parliament!) that is concerned only with the environment of Tasmania and has no other agendas.

Anyway, that's my thoughts.

FYI, these are the huts that Daniel Hackett (the fly guide) put up at the Western Lakes for his clients (scroll down the website). Not exactly the huge development people are claiming them to be.

https://riverfly.com.au/#2

https://www.tourismtasmania.com.au/news ... or-numbers
Tommydoodle
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Sat 29 Dec, 2018 4:49 pm

Interesting point Tommy and I know what you mean, however if the wilderness is developed to accommodate the admiring tourists that flock here to see it, then it no longer becomes wilderness!!!

Let the wilderness STAY wild and feel free to develop in areas OUTSIDE the WHA and national parks!!
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tommydoodle » Sat 29 Dec, 2018 5:56 pm

I am completely with your sentiments, ILUVSWTAS, however, I think the present and future governments are far too easily swayed by the promise of big development dollars than by ethical and environmental concerns. Which is stunning shame, and I often feel that I, at 60, will have probably lived and died in a time when the last great wilderness areas of the world were lost forever and changed from being areas of stunning and unique biodiversity to a 3 day holiday experience ($1399, transfers not included).

Personally, I think the government should have marketed Tasmania to botanists and biologists: some kind of science tourism. They're far more ethical when it comes to ecosystems, and the big drawcard for Tasmania is that fewer than 30% of its invertebrates have been described and 20% of its fungi: what a treasure trove for scientists.

Back to my bottle of wine.
Tommydoodle
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Nuts » Sun 30 Dec, 2018 10:17 am

Vote 1 Tommy Doodle :)
An independent or party that could focus just on environmental issues would get my vote (not that some other issues aren't important but much 'green' policy is even more unpopular than saving wilderness).

They could simply start with asking for a 'plan'. A plan, in turn, could begin with analysis of the costs and benefits. Even there I doubt much sense could be made of exclusive/private/luxury development being a good or even viable future economic direction, whatever can be made of it in the short term. Without defining the value of wilderness, even as a concept to be preserved, we can only be led to assume the return is positive.

I'm not sure how a marketing approach could discern science types/ or at least those demonstrating some level of care and knowledge etc. from ticklisters but yes, enough of them to support this minor role in economy and a respectful, sensible direction.

Certainly, if it is to be 'bulk', 'ticklisters', and to each their own, firm boundaries are important & need to be upheld.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Sun 30 Dec, 2018 10:32 am

Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby bogholesbuckethats » Fri 08 Feb, 2019 9:32 pm

New ‘puffer pod’ tents planned for Overland Track and Walls of Jerusalem
ANNE MATHER, Mercury
February 8, 2019 8:00pm
Subscriber only
NEW semi-permanent “puffer pod” tents could be built along Tasmania’s most famous World Heritage bushwalking tracks after preliminary approval from a panel set up by the State Government.

As part of the Government’s expressions of interest process in parks and reserves, World Expeditions plans to build five semi-permanent pods along the Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park Overland Track and one pod along the Walls of Jerusalem track at Wild Dog Creek.

Although the concept has gained stage-one approval from an independent assessment panel, World Expeditions must now undertake a Reserve Activity Assessment and seek approval through the normal Commonwealth Government and State Government planning approval processes.

The architecturally designed “puffer pods” would be communal cold-weather tents at standing height, with down inner fabric and canvas covers.

World Expeditions has received approval to proceed with its application to erect semi-permanent Puffer Pod camps in Tasmania’s Wilderness World Heritage Area. concept drawings of the puffer pods which would be erected on The Overland Track and The Walls of Jerusalem National Park.
World Expeditions chief executive Sue Badyari said the pods would be erected during the walking season, about eight months of the year from September to April, and then taken down so the vegetation underneath could regrow over winter.

The company already has walking tours along the Overland Track, operating locally under the name Tasmanian Expeditions, where walkers trek with all their own gear.

Ms Badyari said the new offering would almost halve the amount people needed to carry, from 18kg backpacks down to 10kg, because the bedding and tents would not need to be carried.

“We call this comfort trekking,” she said.

In announcing stage-one approval, Premier Will Hodgman said the proposal was expected to employ 15 to 20 staff.

Wilderness Society campaign manager Vica Bayley said the approval process lacked credibility as it had not consulted with the community and should have waited until the World Heritage Area had a tourism master plan.

“Since 2015, UNESCO has been asking the Hodgman Government to produce a tourism master plan for the World Heritage Area so tourism can be managed in a way that protects important values and the experience of other users,” Mr Bayley said.

“This approval, via a secret process that has no credibility or community engagement, pre-empts that tourism plan,” he said.

“We call on the Government and company to release the full project proposal and the assessment documents, so people can see exactly what’s been approved, against what criteria and on what basis.”
Attachments
pod.jpeg
That looks like a pad.
bogholesbuckethats

Postby Nuts » Sat 09 Feb, 2019 8:42 am

Ah, *&%$#! awesome. Can't compete, cheat eh!? :evil:
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Sat 09 Feb, 2019 11:20 am

There's just no *&%$#! end to it. Put out one fire and ten more spring up elsewhere.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Warin » Sat 09 Feb, 2019 12:42 pm

bogholesbuckethats wrote:the pods would be erected during the walking season, about eight months of the year from September to April, and then taken down so the vegetation underneath could regrow over winter.

Humm .. may be ok. When I camped at Lawn Hill they wanted tents moved every 3 days to keep the grass growing. Think the new management no longer waters the grass so that requirement may no longer be valid (grass is dead through lack of water...)
Tents rest directly on the surface and deny the plants sunlight, these platforms do allow some scattered light .. so might work. Then again the tent part over the top will shelter a great deal of area ... very dim for plant life.

But I think they'll be flying these things in and out .. and may fly in/out supplies too. Buzz buzz..

(Please.. no mention of fires, thanks)
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Sun 10 Feb, 2019 4:51 pm

Vegetation would struggle to rehabilitate over summer with such use, much less so with a 'semi-permanent' structure over it as seen on other platforms. Fat chance of ever recovering over winter. But those making such a proposal know this.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Sun 10 Feb, 2019 6:20 pm

Warin wrote:
bogholesbuckethats wrote:the pods would be erected during the walking season, about eight months of the year from September to April, and then taken down so the vegetation underneath could regrow over winter.

Humm .. may be ok. When I camped at Lawn Hill they wanted tents moved every 3 days to keep the grass growing. Think the new management no longer waters the grass so that requirement may no longer be valid (grass is dead through lack of water...)
Tents rest directly on the surface and deny the plants sunlight, these platforms do allow some scattered light .. so might work. Then again the tent part over the top will shelter a great deal of area ... very dim for plant life.

Lawn Hill is in Queensland. Far North Queensland. This is in Tasmania's sub-alpine environment. May I respectfully suggest that the seasons operate somewhat differently down here?
Alpine and sub-alpine vegetation does not grow over winter. It's usually just a little too busy surviving the snow and cold temperatures.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Nuts » Wed 13 Feb, 2019 4:10 pm

What about these:

Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 12.43.29 pm.png
Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 12.43.29 pm.png (246.75 KiB) Viewed 42344 times

I mean, nobody need ever know, they could even be swapped for real rocks (those pesky things just take up valuable real estate anyway)?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Warin » Wed 13 Feb, 2019 5:00 pm

north-north-west wrote:Lawn Hill is in Queensland. Far North Queensland. This is in Tasmania's sub-alpine environment. May I respectfully suggest that the seasons operate somewhat differently down here?

Indeed. But even in the tropics I'd think the coverage for ~6 months will have a lasting bad effect on the vegetation.

How about underground... unless the kiwis now have a patent on it...? We could probably claim prior use - Coober Pedy, White Cliffs.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Mon 25 Feb, 2019 8:07 am

So here's the Puffer proposal, and similar for the WoJ project.

Proposal:
Overland Track Puffer Pods
Proponent / s
World Expeditions Travel Group Pty Ltd
Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park Overland Track
Description of proposal
The World Expeditions’ proposal plans to construct five “Wilderness puffer pods” along the Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park Overland Track, adjacent to existing camping grounds.
A Puffer Pod is a specially designed, communal cold weather tent made from state of art down inner fabric, providing comfort for trekkers. They will remain erected throughout the season and be demounted at the conclusion of the season. The pods aim to have minimal impact while maximising the amenity and attraction of the Overland Track to a new niche within the overall global trekking market. This new trekking proposition is pivotal in making these trails accessible for a broader market in that the weight that trekkers will be required to carry will reduce from around 17-18 kgs to just 10 kgs with the pod camp facilities.
Pods would sit adjacent to current Parks and Wildlife (PWS) campsites and provide protection from wet and cold weather, a dining area and kitchen for guides to prepare food in, as well as a storage area. They will allow trekkers to enjoy a higher level of communal comfort facility but also upgraded sleeping arrangements with standing camps that include camp beds, mattress and pillows and a generally roomier sleeping environment.
The company will continue to rely on existing PWS facilities and if required, the amenities will be upgraded or added to in partnership with the PWS and funded by World Expeditions.
The precise positioning of the Pods along the Overland Track is subject to the appropriate approvals process, public consultation and a Reserve Activity Assessment, to ensure the best possible outcomes.
Each communal Pod has a capacity to seat 14 people, made up of 12 clients plus two guides.
Estimated jobs created
World Expeditions currently employs two full time staff in Launceston and over 30 local guides during the season. World Expeditions has advised that it expects to employ up to 15 to 20 additional staff.
Social, cultural and environmental impact
Initial design and build of the Pods will be off-site initially to limit disturbance on the Overland Track. The outer sheet is strengthened canvas, coloured to fit in with the surrounds, with water drain collection and flexible solar panels. The puffer pods gain their name from an innovative down inner fabric lining the outer sheet. Once completed, the Pods can then be transported and assembled onsite – and will be dismantled over the yearly rest period.

So seems to be some hazy conditions. Less fuss over Eco-status already. Communal 'to seat' or twin share (beds?).
Set aside OL or WoJ.. Evidence suggests we should expect these where huts are (currently) not acceptable.

Personally, aside from the wilderness ingress, it doesn't get more galling than our premier fizzing over such a proposal. In complete ignorance of the existing long-established small businesses practicing 'real' minimal impact. Dodgy as it gets (and many of these proposals are decidedly crooked, anything but ecotourism).
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Mon 25 Feb, 2019 8:26 am

Screen Shot 2019-02-25 at 9.18.14 am.png
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 25 Feb, 2019 12:36 pm

These are not going to be any less intrusive than a hut and not any less damaging to the environment. Even if they are disassembled each year, the environment is not going to recover over winter. And if they are mounted on decking (which is what it looks like) then that's not much less impact to the environment than a hut, either.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby MrWalker » Mon 25 Feb, 2019 4:06 pm

The Puffer Pods are huts, alongside current campsites, so visible to everyone, instead of hidden like most of the tour group huts, but they get a cute name so they don't sound like real huts.

By putting them next to existing campsites they will need to clear a lot of vegetation to make space for them.
MrWalker

Postby Nuts » Tue 26 Feb, 2019 9:16 am

They should be track-side and highlighted in neon, to properly serve the more insidious digressions (than visual impact).
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby potato » Tue 12 Mar, 2019 8:45 am

potato
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 12 Mar, 2019 2:59 pm