Arthur Range Solo Full Traverse

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Arthur Range Solo Full Traverse

Postby Wirednomads » Thu 05 Feb, 2015 7:01 pm

The two biners and quickdraws are what I usually use to help secure everything to the outside of my pack, hammocking while travelling, ect. Perhaps I can come up with something a bit lighter for this. Honestly, I hadn't even thought of that but its only 275g and secure as everything is strapped on the outside, or a large majority of gear. As far as the shoes go I wouldn't wear anything different for this trek, I have little confidence in chaco type sandals while scrambling. I think I may have overestimated the weight of the fuel canister, weighed the msr 591ml and its around 600g. So that and will grab an aluminum red bull container to use as another fuel container, or something similar. This cuts it down by at least a kilogram that I estimated. Buying another stove isn't really an option at this point. The sleeping bag should definitely be warm enough with the sleeping pad. Warmest bag/weight ratio ive ever used. It is rated to -12C without the x-therm.
Wirednomads
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Other Country

Postby DaveNoble » Thu 05 Feb, 2015 8:08 pm

The versalite should be more than sufficient - but I thought they weighed something like 850 - 900 g? And Quickdraws and a biner? Useless items. Leave out. Also - You need to fit all your items inside your pack - that is essential - have nothing tied on the outside. Otherwise you will run into difficulties....

Buy a small gas stove and 2 - 3 cylinders - much lighter than using petrol or shellite.

I don't know what a wind barrier is - but would have thought your rain jacket would cut out the wind?

What is the Large internal camera unit? it seems very heavy whatever it is. Probably leave out?

Why take the rain fly? An extra 130 g !! You already have a large tent that should be more than sufficient for your needs.

If you can scramble - then leave the rope out.

The travel duffel - what for? Seems heavy too - 214 g

Also - as well as often experiencing bad weather you can also experience hot sunny weather, and a lot of the time you are above the tree-line - so you also need to take sun protection - e.g. a long sleeve lightweight shirt and also a hat, sunscreen etc

You may want to add a very small daypack to carry your camera gear on side trips. It also need to fit your rain jacket etc

I would suggest thinking of doing 2 ten days trips.

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Wirednomads » Thu 05 Feb, 2015 9:01 pm

It looks like I was wrong on the weight of the versalite. I took the weights from the smaller version. The weight of the 180 cm bag is 905g. I will try to weed out any useless items that I may be carrying. An Internal camera unit is a small shell that fits inside of the pack to help protect the camera and lenses. I don't exactly take care of my camera equipment the way I should so all in all I could leave it out. The tent, tripod, sleeping bag(inside of the sea to summit event bag) all will be strapped on the outside securely. Why is it that everything must be on the inside of the pack? If everything is secured tightly I dont see a big difference. Is this for when pack hauling? I recently upgraded from the F-Stop Tilopa (38L) to a Satori (62L) so perhaps I can fit more inside than what I am anticipating. I don't have experience using the Satori backpack much other than just hitching around. I tore one of the straps overloading the previous pack during a trek in indo and they sent me a bigger one, amazing company :) I think perhaps I misnamed the rain fly for what I meant as the rain cover for my backpack. It's just an ultra-sil ripstop cover. The North Face Jacket i had called a wind barrier is just a soft shell. I was mainly concerned I may not be prepared for the colder weather conditions. I could possibly get away without it. You say to leave the rope out if I can scramble well. Would there be no need for pack hauling? Or to have the rope for flooded conditions anywhere I may encounter? At this point I don't really have the resources to look at getting another stove. As far as carrying a day pack for side trips I assume ill have some sort of a base camp set up for side trips and just use my primary pack or one of the event compression dry bags. Why is it you would suggest breaking it up into two ten day trips, because of the weight issues of starting with 20 days food?

Thanks again,

Jordan
Wirednomads
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby DaveNoble » Thu 05 Feb, 2015 9:41 pm

I would carry your camera lenses and body in small dry bags or plastic bags - and pack them near the top of your pack.

The reason things should be inside your pack is that you do need to pass through some scrub. Now - you are on a track in most places - but a lot of the time it is not a cut track - just a "bashed" one - with lots of things that hook up with your gear. This becomes a real problem when you are scrambling. In some places - like the Beggary Bumps - there are small bluffs - perhaps 3 - 4 m high that you need to climb down and up - often using vegetation as hand holds and foot holds. If anything - like a tripod catches - then you have major problems.

Do carry enough warm clothing. I would normally take a light fleece and also a warm jacket - either down or synthetic (such as a patagonia nano puff) - not to wear when walking but for camp. If wet - then a rain jacket and a thermal is a good choice. If cold - then a thermal, fleece and rain jacket should be sufficient when walking.

A pack cover may be OK - but could be torn off your pack by the scrub. What is essential is a waterproof pack liner of some type (a large garbage bag would do)

I have done solo trips through the range - and the only place I take off my pack is a rock tunnel you encounter climbing the Pegasus - I take my pack off and pass it through. This would be very hard for one person to do with a very heavy pack. For other steep sections - then you may want to take off your pack - and scout them out without a pack, go back and put your pack back on and do it again. But a heavy pack makes scrambling harder and a lot more dangerous.

A rope is dangerous for crossing flooded rivers or creeks. Not recommended! Better to sit it out till the creek goes down or find a fallen tree to cross on. Crossing flooded creeks is not normally a problem. In storms creeks go up and down quickly.

If you use your main pack for side trips (which is reasonable to do) - then watch your food. There are animals around such as quolls and rats that may want a nibble.

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Wirednomads » Fri 06 Feb, 2015 8:04 am

Alright I see the issue with having things strapped to the outside of the pack. I will do my best to put all I can inside but the tripod and tent are strapped on pretty flush, no other choice. The time is getting closer for me to do a test pack with all the gear so I will update this with photos and more detailed information on my food stores. For cold weather gear I have basically what you are saying. Thermals + Soft Shell + Rain jacket provides quite a bit of warmth. For the waterproof pack liner ive planned to use the 30L Sea to Summit Event Compression bag. I will leave the trekking poles/rope/Internal Camera Unit out. As far as the animals go, do I need to worry about them chewing into my tent if things are put up somewhat well or is this a worry only when things are left out? I realize this may be a silly question :P Could always devise something similar to a bear hang but I imagine there will be little vegetation above the tree line for this.

Jordan
Wirednomads
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby bumpingbill » Fri 06 Feb, 2015 8:55 am

Have you nailed down your route yet BTW?
bumpingbill
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Wirednomads » Fri 06 Feb, 2015 11:01 am

No I haven't finalised what route I will finally end up taking. I would love to be able to continue after the EAs on to the coast. However I am thinking without doing much reasearch yet that I would not have the gear, food, or probably enough time to attempt an undertaking such as that. I am planning on heading up Moraine A to Lake Oberon. From there I will decide if I am carrying too much food weight; can always have a day of just eating. I still need to sit down and take the time to look at more detailed routes.
Wirednomads
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby whynotwalk » Fri 06 Feb, 2015 12:06 pm

Wirednomads wrote:As far as the animals go, do I need to worry about them chewing into my tent if things are put up somewhat well or is this a worry only when things are left out? I realize this may be a silly question :P Could always devise something similar to a bear hang but I imagine there will be little vegetation above the tree line for this.

I was speaking yesterday with someone just back from the Arthurs. He said there were numerous walkers complaining about tents and/or packs being holed by rodents. His gear was okay, because he double-bagged everything and kept it inside his pack, inside the tent. People leaving food scraps around the camp-sites has habituated the (native) rodents to human food, and they can be very bold, and very persistent.

You're quite right about the lack of tall vegetation, so you can forget about trying to hang anything. Just don't leave anything out, and try to put smelly stuff deep inside your pack.

cheers

Peter
Solvitur ambulando (Walking solves it) - attributed to St Augustine, 4th century AD.
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Dolerite Walker » Fri 06 Feb, 2015 4:06 pm

[quote=" EPIRB can be hired (rather cheaply) from Service Tasmania. I think it's about $30 a week.
[/quote]

This is a cheap insurance policy.

You would also be wise to pay for your transport rather than rely on hitch hiking.
Dolerite Walker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby contiki30 » Wed 11 Feb, 2015 6:53 am

Wirednomads wrote:No I haven't finalised what route I will finally end up taking. I would love to be able to continue after the EAs on to the coast. However I am thinking without doing much reasearch yet that I would not have the gear, food, or probably enough time to attempt an undertaking such as that. I am planning on heading up Moraine A to Lake Oberon. From there I will decide if I am carrying too much food weight; can always have a day of just eating. I still need to sit down and take the time to look at more detailed routes.

so wired nomads how has everything gone? I've been following this post and realize you should have left already so am not anticipating a response :) hope you got your kit sorted and good luck.
contiki30
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Postby Wirednomads » Thu 19 Feb, 2015 2:07 pm

Daily updates at http://www.facebook.com/wirednomads

I've decided to traverse from west to east, climb federation and come back across the range...or so that's the plan :)(:
Wirednomads
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby biggbird » Thu 19 Feb, 2015 11:34 pm

WN came to stay with me the night before heading to the range, so now has a full set of maps etc to go with. Pack was very heavy, but I guess that's personal preference! Seemed like a pretty sensible guy, and has my PLB if anything really nasty does happen. I'll be following along with interest and looking forward to the photos!
biggbird
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby pazzar » Fri 20 Feb, 2015 2:54 pm

biggbird wrote:WN came to stay with me the night before heading to the range, so now has a full set of maps etc to go with. Pack was very heavy, but I guess that's personal preference! Seemed like a pretty sensible guy, and has my PLB if anything really nasty does happen. I'll be following along with interest and looking forward to the photos!

And hoping that your PLB doesn't get set off in the meantime!

And it looks like he will have had some pretty decent weather so far, and probably more to come. Looking forward to photos!
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby biggbird » Sun 22 Feb, 2015 11:09 pm

pazzar wrote:
biggbird wrote:WN came to stay with me the night before heading to the range, so now has a full set of maps etc to go with. Pack was very heavy, but I guess that's personal preference! Seemed like a pretty sensible guy, and has my PLB if anything really nasty does happen. I'll be following along with interest and looking forward to the photos!

And hoping that your PLB doesn't get set off in the meantime!

And it looks like he will have had some pretty decent weather so far, and probably more to come. Looking forward to photos!

Fingers crossed :P
biggbird

Postby andyszollosi » Sun 01 Mar, 2015 9:52 pm

Met Wired Nomad on the 25/2 at Lake Haven, he was 8 days in to his 20 day traverse of the Arthurs. He was going well and still pretty set on reaching Federation peak and completing the traverse, as planned, perhaps taking a couple of extra days!
We gave him some extra food and wished him well. :)

Hope you make it mate!
andyszollosi
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby wlkr » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 8:02 pm

Also met Wired Nomad on the 3rd and 4th at Stuarts Saddle / Goon Moor. He asked that we pass on that he his doing fine. His phone has stopped receiving charge from his solar setup. He has plenty of food and is now expecting to be out more like the 12-14th. He also requested that Alex W. PM through his mobile number. Cheers.
wlkr
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby kanangra » Mon 09 Mar, 2015 7:44 pm

I have a bad feeling about this. Never walked in Tassie before. And this is your first trip? Solo? Well I'll say it if no-ne else will; you're crackers! Wisen up. Take the excellent advice you have been given. Ditch all the excess you are carrying. Do an overnight trip. See how you go. Then maybe work up from there. Otherwise it will be another helicopter rescue for you.

Sorry but in your own best interests someone has to tell it to you straight.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby icefest » Mon 09 Mar, 2015 10:50 pm

kanangra wrote:I have a bad feeling about this. Never walked in Tassie before. And this is your first trip? Solo? Well I'll say it if no-ne else will; you're crackers! Wisen up. Take the excellent advice you have been given. Ditch all the excess you are carrying. Do an overnight trip. See how you go. Then maybe work up from there. Otherwise it will be another helicopter rescue for you.

Sorry but in your own best interests someone has to tell it to you straight.

K.

He's done the wafurs and halfway through the EAs now.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Azza » Tue 10 Mar, 2015 10:45 am

Yea, but did you see this:

http://www.facebook.com/wirednomads
Azza

Postby biggbird » Tue 10 Mar, 2015 1:05 pm

wlkr wrote:Also met Wired Nomad on the 3rd and 4th at Stuarts Saddle / Goon Moor. He asked that we pass on that he his doing fine. His phone has stopped receiving charge from his solar setup. He has plenty of food and is now expecting to be out more like the 12-14th. He also requested that Alex W. PM through his mobile number. Cheers.

PMed, thanks for this wlkr!

I agree that it was a pretty epic walk to choose for your first in Tassie, but WN was pretty adamant, and aware that there were risks involved etc. Here's hoping he comes out in the next couple of days!
biggbird

Postby biggbird » Tue 10 Mar, 2015 2:48 pm

Well, that was well timed - WN just rang me 15 minutes ago and has succesfully made it home alive! Sounds like he spent a bit of time storm bound at Goon Moor, so not sure whether he made the full traverse or not, but will look forward to the stories and photos in the coming days I guess!
biggbird

Postby tigercat » Wed 11 Mar, 2015 5:36 am

Great news Bigbird, thanks for the update. I met WN munching nuts above Cygnus some time ago.
Wilderness: restful and healing for the mind and spirit
tigercat
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Wed 11 Mar, 2015 7:45 am

tigercat wrote: I met WN munching nuts above Cygnus some time ago.

I'm not touching that one.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby walkabout » Wed 11 Mar, 2015 10:26 am

I'm looking forward to reading more about this adventure :D (WN - is your last name Baggins? :lol: )
walkabout
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Wirednomads » Mon 16 Mar, 2015 11:23 am

Haha I wish my last name was Baggins! I am currently staying on Bruny Island for my last week in Australia (Still in a tent!) so it may be when I get home within the next two weeks before I post the trip report. I would like to include everything with the photos so I'm going to wait until I can spend some time on the post. Thank you all so much for advice, criticism, and general information!

Cheers,

Jordan
Wirednomads
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Wirednomads » Tue 07 Apr, 2015 1:12 am

Wirednomads
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii