Helicopter Rescues in Tasmania "2"

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Helicopter Rescues in Tasmania "2"

Postby CBee » Fri 21 Aug, 2020 10:41 am

The mother of all trolls.
CBee
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby Rexyviney36 » Fri 21 Aug, 2020 6:28 pm

People could give it a look tonight - there will probably be a live chat as well. Let him know if there’s something that needs to be said...
He seems an intelligent fella. Made a mistake on that trip but we’ve all made mistakes.
Rexyviney36
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Fri 21 Aug, 2020 8:51 pm

Rexyviney36 wrote: Made a mistake on that trip but we’ve all made mistakes.

More than one! And has made others on other trips too from what I hear.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby headwerkn » Fri 21 Aug, 2020 9:18 pm

It appears he got the message regarding a map, compass and an InReach... but that pesky no-drones-in-National Parks thing*, apparently not. I'm sure PWS will be impressed.

(* I'll swallow my words happily if he got a permit to film... he didn't mention it though, which would be the first thing I'd make known if I was making such footage available publicly).
headwerkn

Postby stepbystep » Sat 22 Aug, 2020 11:50 am

I see Rob on here having a look ... as a filmmaker who pays for filming permits, drone permits, music royalties I get a little pissed off seeing someone most likely ignoring all those things while monetising his content on YouTube, and now selling merchandise ... oh well ... whatevs ... I'll give him this, he has a good instinct as a video editor. He may well have a future as a filmmaker. I thought publishing the route to Kutakina was disgusting and disrespectful ... I generally seek permission from the Aboriginal community before I publish anything from their sacred places, mostly they don't want them publicised, kutakina among them. An entitled and disrespectful little punk with a lot to learn, if only that could be fast-tracked.
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Robparsons » Sat 22 Aug, 2020 12:05 pm

First off, sorry for upsetting you all. I never intended to offend anyone by my actions. I have never claimed to be a professional, in fact I have been quite openly honest about my lack of experience. The gear list was just an idea for a video while in lockdown. I get asked a lot of questions about different things I use when hiking and I wanted to share everything in one simple video. I was not recommending that anyone else do the same as me, I was only showing what I had used for every journey leading up to Covid. Pretty amazing what a couple hundred bucks worth of gear can achieve.

I always picked windows of weather that allow me to get away with a $30 tent, and a -2 sleeping bag. Despite what half of you think, Im not an idiot. The idea was to show people that you don't need to spend a heap of money to get out there. As with all my videos I forget to mention some things, so yes I do have a sleeping mat, it wraps around my tent gear and is contained in the tent bag. My black jacket I wore frequently is warm and water resistant. I will be doing an updated gear list in the future and removing my old one.

The 2 parties you mentioned that have done the track 'this millennium'... the new log book was put there by Terry Reid in 2000 and I didn't see any other parties entries. I'm human, I make mistakes and I probably missed it. Made for one hell of a trailer though hey?

This is my journey, my experience. Choosing to document the odd weekend here and there so I have something to look back on when I am old. My videos also provide an experience to those who are not physically capable of doing so. Some people who watch my videos are being inspired to get back out into the open, I know this because I receive a lot of messages from strangers thanking me for my videos. I'm happy that I can make people want to get off the couch, its good for the brain. It cures anxiety and depression. Who's knows, maybe even save lives.

I do not make money from my youtube videos, the ads are paid to the artists of whose music I choose to use. It works out really well actually. The videos are less boring and I promote new artists. A lot of people listen to the bands now from my videos.

If you guys would like to do something positive, you can help me raise money for the Westpac Rescue Helicopter Service. I'm donating 100% of all the sales made this weekend. https://www.redbubble.com/people/STYWLD/shop?asc=u click Shop all products to see what items are available in each logo. Peace!
Last edited by Robparsons on Sat 22 Aug, 2020 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robparsons
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: No

Postby marangaroo86 » Sat 22 Aug, 2020 1:06 pm

Is Kutakina cave a secret site with no visited allowed. Its mentioned on many government web sites?
marangaroo86
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby Robparsons » Sat 22 Aug, 2020 1:21 pm

Nope, you are allowed to visit the cave. Having recently visited the cave I can tell you the sign states 'Visitors are welcome to enter the cave but are asked to assist in its conservation by staying on the walkway provided. Please do not smoke or camp in the cave or leave any litter in it.The floor deposits should not be touched or removed.' I knew this before I left because I found the image online. Also Franklin River Rafting company promotes the visiting of the cave in there online itineraries.
Robparsons
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: No

Postby CBee » Sat 22 Aug, 2020 1:34 pm

I actually liked the vids. Not the music so much but that's just me. But the videos are hilarious and I can see a saga here. Hope he keeps filming, making sure "something happens" here and there, maybe one day he can reach mainstream TV like Bear Grylls...
CBee

Region: Queensland

Postby Vee » Sat 22 Aug, 2020 1:40 pm

Hey Rob parsons, I love your vids. Been watching a while, as I'm interested in fossicking. Shame on the people that are so negative. Praise to you for your courage and humility. Keep up the great work.
Vee
Vee
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby cameron » Sat 22 Aug, 2020 2:01 pm

I've enjoyed watching all of Robs videos and appreciate that he shares them. I take them for what they are, rather then wanting them to fit into any potentially retarded world view i have, unlike the handful of tossers on this forum.
cameron
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby stepbystep » Sat 22 Aug, 2020 2:49 pm

Hey Rob,
So you're influencing people to get out there and explore nature - great - guess what? Putting *&%$#! gear lists together and acting like a gung-ho king of the bush will also influence people. You can't have it one way and not the other. The danger is that in Tassie's high country, that could result in death or serious injury. You won't be so chuffed if you influence that ...
I'm a professional film-maker - I'm yet to meet a musician who doesn't want, at the very least a credit - that will help with their exposure.
Where's your drone permit for operating in the TWWHA? Non existent I'm sure. The paperwork is not easy to obtain. Would you like me to put you in touch with the relevant person in parks that issues these? I'll happily eat humble pie when you produce the paperwork.
The cultural stuff - I guess I shouldn't bother, you're obviously a blinkered white boy. If you're interested I'll put you in touch with the palawa community to learn some protocol. I'm 46 and still learning.
If I want to donate to helicopter rescue (THIS WEEKEND ONLY !!) I'll be donating directly, not buying from your red bubble site - get your hand off it mate.
Gnarly as bro :roll:
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Rexyviney36 » Sat 22 Aug, 2020 2:55 pm

So, how about those helicopter rescues hey?!!!
Rexyviney36
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby marangaroo86 » Sat 22 Aug, 2020 3:31 pm

Wow! How was he's video insensitive? The Tasmanian gov and some commercial company's promote the cave and visit it. There looks tobe information signage and board walks. I wish no offence the Tasmanian Aboriginal communities both pass or present
marangaroo86
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby danman » Sat 22 Aug, 2020 3:45 pm

Robparsons wrote:Nope, you are allowed to visit the cave. Having recently visited the cave I can tell you the sign states 'Visitors are welcome to enter the cave but are asked to assist in its conservation by staying on the walkway provided. Please do not smoke or camp in the cave or leave any litter in it.The floor deposits should not be touched or removed.' I knew this before I left because I found the image online. Also Franklin River Rafting company promotes the visiting of the cave in there online itineraries.

Rob, the signage in the cave is over 20 years old, I would not necessarily regard it as current information. The cave is on Aboriginal land and while the relevant authority may (or may not) mind you being there, I highly doubt they would want footage broadcast showing the entrance to the cave, nor any footage from inside the cave. I'd suggest editing those parts out of your video until you have made contact with the Aboriginal Heritage Council to seek permission.
danman
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby marangaroo86 » Sat 22 Aug, 2020 3:55 pm

Sorry did not realise he was on Aboriginal land and may have filmed without permission. On day I may seek permission to visit These sites are of great cultural significance to to all.
marangaroo86
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Sat 22 Aug, 2020 5:18 pm

Did you carry any food or what's with eating the noodles in the larder?
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby doogs » Sun 23 Aug, 2020 9:04 am

Flying drones in national parks without appropriate permissions and licenses isn't cool. Same goes for filming in NP for financial gains. But. If you want to wave two fingers in the face of Parks and Wildlife, risking the fines involved, then go ahead.
Do you want to build a snowman?
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Elias Eichler » Wed 26 Aug, 2020 9:46 am

Robparsons wrote:Nope, you are allowed to visit the cave. Having recently visited the cave I can tell you the sign states 'Visitors are welcome to enter the cave but are asked to assist in its conservation by staying on the walkway provided. Please do not smoke or camp in the cave or leave any litter in it.The floor deposits should not be touched or removed.' I knew this before I left because I found the image online. Also Franklin River Rafting company promotes the visiting of the cave in there online itineraries.

Hi Everyone, just want to clarify that although we used to allow people to enter the boardwalk section of the cave in the past, as of last season 2019/20 we stopped visiting the cave.
Prior to last summer we were under the impression that this was ok but have since been told that PWS no longer manages Kuti Kina caves. We have asked for permission from the Tasmanian Aboriginal Community but have not received an answer.
With respect, until we receive permission we have not and will not enter the site. We tell this to our clients and everyone is very understanding.
Apologies if we have been slack and not updated our written material online. Thanks for highlighting this and we will be sure to rectify it as soon as possible.

Cheers, Elias
Elias Eichler
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Franklin River Rafting

Postby Overlandman » Mon 21 Sep, 2020 12:38 pm

The Westpac Rescue Helicopter has rescued a 59 year old male from the Wilds Craig Area.
He was overdue from a day walk Yesterday with his dog.
Good outcome
Regards OLM
Whatever, Wherever, Whenever
Overlandman
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Mon 21 Sep, 2020 1:42 pm

With his dog. In a National Park.
Now, I'm willing for this one to be made to pay. A fine at least.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Mon 21 Sep, 2020 2:35 pm

north-north-west wrote:With his dog. In a National Park.
Now, I'm willing for this one to be made to pay. A fine at least.

Agreed.
Just reading on the taspol site about this. All praise for the "experienced walker" but how experienced can he be if he's taking a *&%$#! dog for *&^%$# sake
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby headwerkn » Mon 21 Sep, 2020 3:23 pm

You'd assume he was walking to Wylds Craig itself, though the area east is STT PPTZ, so if he was just walking there...?
headwerkn

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Mon 21 Sep, 2020 3:39 pm

Maybe, though technically you aren't even supposed to enter or go through a NP with a dog in a car.

Mountains and sub alpine areas are no places for pooches.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Mon 21 Sep, 2020 5:06 pm

ILUVSWTAS wrote:Maybe, though technically you aren't even supposed to enter or go through a NP with a dog in a car.

Fazackerley. That said, I hope the dog was also airlifted out.
In fact, take the dog, leave the *&^%$#@! behind. (Yeah, it's a grumpy day today.)
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Mon 21 Sep, 2020 5:09 pm

north-north-west wrote:
ILUVSWTAS wrote:Maybe, though technically you aren't even supposed to enter or go through a NP with a dog in a car.

Fazackerley. That said, I hope the dog was also airlifted out.
In fact, take the dog, leave the *&^%$#@! behind. (Yeah, it's a grumpy day today.)

Haha agreed. Twice in one day. This has gotta stop.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 22 Sep, 2020 12:06 pm

NNW, to make you un-grumpy, I'm reliably advised that the bloke who was rescued was blind and that it was a guide dog. He has been parachuting, and when asked about how he knew that the ground was approaching he said that the weight comes off the leash.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby Warin » Tue 22 Sep, 2020 1:07 pm

Lophophaps wrote:NNW, to make you un-grumpy, I'm reliably advised that the bloke that was rescued was blind and that it was a guide dog. He has been parachuting, and when asked about how he knew that the ground was approaching he said that the weight comes off the leash.

Arr... training to be a moon landing pilot?
Good luck to him.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Overlandman » Wed 07 Oct, 2020 12:57 pm

From Tasmania Police Facebook
Members in the Westpac Rescue Helicopter have located an injured 74-year-old man from West Launceston who activated a personal locator beacon (PLB) in the Walls of Jerusalem National Park this morning.
Other walkers carrying the PLB came across the injured man and offered assistance leaving him with the device until help arrived.
The man suffered an injured knee and was unable to walk out unassisted. His wife, who had been walking with him in the park, left and returned to the car to raise the alarm. This was prior to other walkers assisting with a PLB and then continuing their walk. The man was airlifted back to his car.
Of note the rescue crew had difficulty locating the man because of a weak and inaccurate position signal given by the PLB. This is believed to be because the battery on the PLB had expired in 2017. This is a timely reminder, especially coming into the warmer months, to check that all emergency equipment including PLBs, EPIRBS and flares are not outside of their expiry dates prior to embarking on your activity.
Overlandman
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Overlandman » Sun 11 Oct, 2020 6:41 pm

From Tasmania Police Facebook

A man in his 60s has been rescued after he fell while caving in remote area of the West Coast late yesterday.

He had slipped and fallen several metres while ascending a ladder within the cave. He was with 3 companions, and two of them hiked for several hours to be able to call for assistance.

A search and rescue team involving Ambulance Tasmania, Tasmania Police, SES and the Northern Caverneers Caving Club reached the man about 1am this morning.

He was airlifted out by the Westpac Rescue Helicopter Tasmania a short time ago, and taken to the RHH. His injuries are not life threatening.

Well done to everyone involved in the rescue - a great outcome!
Overlandman
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

PreviousNext

Return to Tasmania