Cathedral Plateau

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Cathedral Plateau

Postby roseart » Mon 05 Nov, 2007 6:59 pm

Has anyone walked from Junction Hut up onto Cathedral Plateau
via Chalice Lake and down into Lees Paddocks?
if so - how long do I need to allow to cover this distance?
Are there any walking tracks over or through Cathedral Plateau?
Does anyone have information concerning Hartnett Track which I believe
descends between Bishop Peak and Curate Bluff? - roseart
roseart
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 05 Nov, 2007 7:43 pm

Hi roseart - welcome to the forums. :)

I don't have any specific information myself. I've been up Cathedral and Chalice Lake via Grail falls, but bush bashed our own way out a different route.

However, the guys in this Cathedral topic may be able to help you. Looks like they're discussing a similar walk to yours.

(Hope you don't mind, but I've moved this topic from the "Find Walking Companions" forum, as it seems to fit better here).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Cathedral Plateau

Postby norts » Tue 06 Nov, 2007 7:48 am

I have walked from Junction Lake to Chalice and also up onto Cathedral.
Junction to Chalice via Cloisters Lagoon is fairly easy to follow. The beginning of this walk is not easy to find but Chapmans notes help.
From Grail Falls to the Cathedral Plateau has cairns for some of the way but we couldnt find them after the first lake on the plateau(cant remember its name).
The plateau is fairly open and we just walked used a compass and map to get to the lake we wished to camp at.

Times - we walked out from junction Lake to lees Paddock carpark in about 4 to 5 hours. That was with stops etc. If you were going up on to the plateau you would need to allow quiet a bit of extra time. If you wanted to do it in one day. Much nicer to camp up on the plateau.

Cant help you with getting down to Lees Paddock but I have heard that people have done it.

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Cathedral to Lees Paddocks

Postby corvus » Sun 18 Nov, 2007 5:03 pm

As mentioned by norts if you are coming up from Junction camping on the Plateau is a good choice as picking up the start of the track down to Lees is not that easy so you would give your self extra time.Look at your Cathedral map and locate the creek between Bishops and Curate (we bush bashed through the scub on the creek ) and just before it drops over the edge cross the creek to the southern side duck under a log and you should pick up a marker just follow these down and you will come out almost at a large log crossing the Mersey just up stream from Wadleys Hut once there its easy going through the Paddocks to the car park at the start of Lees Track.
A word of caution a walking mate of mine who did this with me previously attempted this solo and could not pick up the start of the track and ended up sheltering under a log 1/2 way down the escarpment when it got too dark to proceed he survived cut scratched and chastened :)
IMPORTANT NOTE!!
This track has been reclaimed by nature and you will need to scrub bash down to the Mersey now ,start point is still the same.
c
Last edited by corvus on Fri 31 Dec, 2010 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Re: Cathedral Plateau

Postby crazyone » Fri 31 Dec, 2010 12:12 pm

gday corvus,

im wondering if you could clarify this "track" for me. my mate and i could not for the life of us find it. i can vouch for the cut and scratched part, maybe add bruised and blistered to it as well. we tried following the creek from the gap as it went down the mountain and stayed within earshot of it to the left(southern) side and apart from what i thought was one blaze, it was bash all the way. The cathedral map also didnt seem to indicate a large cliff at a bit above 700 metres. all it showed was that the creek terminated there (makes sense!). It certainly did suck alot but that just added to the majesty of the trip and the beauty of that part of the world (when we were finnally out of the scrub and could see it). any help from yourself or others in the know would be appreciated. Three cheers for the Mersey!
crazyone
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby corvus » Fri 31 Dec, 2010 3:07 pm

crazyone wrote:gday corvus,

im wondering if you could clarify this "track" for me. my mate and i could not for the life of us find it. i can vouch for the cut and scratched part, maybe add bruised and blistered to it as well. we tried following the creek from the gap as it went down the mountain and stayed within earshot of it to the left(southern) side and apart from what i thought was one blaze, it was bash all the way. The cathedral map also didnt seem to indicate a large cliff at a bit above 700 metres. all it showed was that the creek terminated there (makes sense!). It certainly did suck alot but that just added to the majesty of the trip and the beauty of that part of the world (when we were finnally out of the scrub and could see it). any help from yourself or others in the know would be appreciated. Three cheers for the Mersey!

G'day crazyone,
When we tried to find it last year it had all but been reclaimed by nature so we just scrub bashed our way down to the Mersey following the points of least resistance.
My mates thought I had been telling them "porkys" till we actually picked up a few meters of it :lol: ,good walk and we intend doing again some time .
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby crazyone » Fri 31 Dec, 2010 3:38 pm

Thanks for that corvus, im not going insane then! yes as hard as it was its all good fun and extremely worthwhile.
crazyone
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Tasmania