Mt Shakespeare

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt Shakespeare

Postby bushwalker zane » Fri 02 Dec, 2016 10:21 am

Howdy bushwalkers!

I was up Wylds Craig a few months back and was planning on getting out to Mt Shakespeare while I was up there. I spend the night below the summit of Wylds only to wake up to a shocker the next day, so I pulled the pin on that adventure. I have since heard that there is also access to Mt Shakespeare via one of the small forestry roads to the east of the summit. I believe Blue Road? (Assuming the road that runs along near Blue Creek). I was wondering if anyone had any info on this route? It would be a scrubby good time I'm guessing, and more or less completely off track, but only a few kilometres to the summit. Any advise would be wonderful :)

Zane.
bushwalker zane
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Mt Shakespeare

Postby Azza » Fri 02 Dec, 2016 11:05 am

If you can get in that road it looks like its only 1km of Forest and your into the more alpine stuff.
The Google Satellite photo also shows the road continuing for a bit further than on The List.

But once out of the forest I reckon you'd be looking at similar scrub to what you'd expect on the more traditional route?

Looks like its worth a try.. not sure how you'd go with the roads considering the bridge got burnt, have they locked the gate at Wayatinah?
Azza
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby bushwalker zane » Fri 02 Dec, 2016 1:47 pm

Yeah the google earth images make it look promising. I haven't called forestry yet about the access to that area yet, but that bridge out on the Floz is a pain in the bum for sure!
bushwalker zane
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby rohjoe » Fri 02 Dec, 2016 3:02 pm

I've done Mt Shakespeare as a longish day walk with an early start from Hobart, using the traditional route via Wylds Craig and Darkes Peak. I'm aware of others who have done this. The scrub's not too bad between Lake Daphne and Shakespeare. The drive in would take a bit longer coming from the southern end.
rohjoe
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bushwalker zane » Fri 02 Dec, 2016 4:00 pm

rohjoe wrote:I've done Mt Shakespeare as a longish day walk with an early start from Hobart, using the traditional route via Wylds Craig and Darkes Peak. I'm aware of others who have done this. The scrub's not too bad between Lake Daphne and Shakespeare. The drive in would take a bit longer coming from the southern end.

That was originally what I was planning util I was told of this other access. The walk would be pretty good I think, and I've heard the scrub near Daphne isn't too bad. The road needs a lot of clearing though, so I think camping at the trail head after an evening of tree cutting would be best.
bushwalker zane
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby currawong » Sat 24 Sep, 2022 8:07 am

I went up Shakespeare from the end of Blue Rd. It has many vegetation challenges; a ridiculous amount of fallen trees, super dense tea tree/fagus/baurea scrub, then topped off with very dense alpine scrub across the top. There were brief periods of open rainforest. 7.5 hour, 8.2kms.
Attachments
Shakespeare from Blue Rd.png
currawong
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby north-north-west » Sat 24 Sep, 2022 8:47 am

I heard of a pair trying to find an easy route up from a gated road in that area a couple of years back. They were given access and spent three days bashing around looking at various lines but it was all hard going and eventually they gave it up as being not worth the effort. Congrats on getting up there.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Warin » Sat 24 Sep, 2022 9:48 am

:? Usually 'easy routes' are found once the peak is gained... not from bashing around the bottom. :lol:
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Lostsoul » Tue 01 Aug, 2023 10:24 am

Is Bridge still out for n the Wylds Craig access?Was wondering about driving in from Wayatinah end?
Lostsoul
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 01 Aug, 2023 10:49 am

Lostsoul wrote:Is Bridge still out for n the Wylds Craig access?Was wondering about driving in from Wayatinah end?

Which bridge? The one over the Florentine near the spur road has been out for a good many years and is not going to be replaced. There's a rock-bottomed ford next to it which is OK with 4WD as long as the water isn't too high but you want to walk it first to make sure you know where the deeper bits are.
The bridge closer to Wayatinah is fine but there can be access issues due to forestry operations.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Return to Tasmania