Nevada Peak road access

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Nevada Peak road access

Postby Thornbill » Sun 11 Dec, 2016 8:22 am

Made it most of the way up Nevada Peak yesterday. Turned around near Snowdrift Tarns as it was pretty unpleasant conditions up there.

FYI there are a couple of bridges out on the way to the trail head. We followed the access notes in The Abels and found the bridge was closed where North Russell Rd crosses the Russell River north of Compton Hill. We met a chap later in the walk who had done the same thing. Forestry has installed a couple of metal poles in the middle of the road and behind them two very large piles of rocks to block any vehicle access to the dodgy bridge. You could park and walk from here, but it's an extra 6k's or so. Instead we backtracked and came in along McDougalls Rd, passing the road to the Lake Skinner Track, continuing along North Russell Rd to Russell Spur 3. The bridge on the second creek crossing on this road is also out, so you have to park here (limited space) and walk the extra 500m up the road to the actual carpark and trail head.

Cheers
How would a cubist paint a flounder?
Thornbill
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Nevada Peak road access

Postby north-north-west » Sun 11 Dec, 2016 3:11 pm

Thanks for the info.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby tastrekker » Wed 25 Jan, 2017 11:45 am

Found this out the hard way last week. Should have checked here first!

Ironically I had already mistakenly headed up Dolerite Road. The map indicated it looped back onto North Russell then Russell Roads so I continued that way adding almost 30 fairly scenic minutes on to the trip. When I found Thornbill's bridge closure it added nearly an hour while I headed back towards Lonnavale and took the Link Road over Round Hill to reach McDougalls Road. I had almost 3.5 hours driving from Hobart to the final washed out bridge 500m from the car park. On the way back it was less than 2 hours total drive time.
tastrekker
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Thornbill » Wed 25 Jan, 2017 2:53 pm

tastrekker wrote:I had almost 3.5 hours driving from Hobart to the final washed out bridge 500m from the car park. On the way back it was less than 2 hours total drive time.

Unfortunate tastrekker. Those extra hours certainly add up and set you back a bit if you aren't expecting them! Hope it was a good walk though.
Thornbill
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby L_Cham_67 » Thu 26 Jan, 2017 10:20 am

On the subject of Nevada Peak, is it possible to walk to its summit from Snowy South? And if it is, how much extra walking time should you add?
L_Cham_67
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Thornbill » Fri 27 Jan, 2017 2:34 pm

On the subject of Nevada Peak, is it possible to walk to its summit from Snowy South? And if it is, how much extra walking time should you add?

Haven't done it myself, but looks do able. Check out some suggested times here http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7427&p=100614&hilit=snowy+south+nevada+peak#p100614

As suggested, I reckon taking 2 cars and making a circuit of it would be a great walk.
Thornbill
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Fri 27 Jan, 2017 6:26 pm

L_Cham_67 wrote:On the subject of Nevada Peak, is it possible to walk to its summit from Snowy South? And if it is, how much extra walking time should you add?

I've done Snowy Sth via Nevada from a camp at Snowdrift, then packed up and walked back to the car in the same day. It's only two hours each way max. Go for it.
If you like rocks, you can pretty well follow the spine of the ridge once you're past the saddle. Great fun.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby waif » Wed 09 Aug, 2017 9:23 am

Just a bump to this as the bridge over Russel road is still out of service and we had to do the detour recently past lake skinner access after reaching the bunded off bridge on Russel river. Unfortunately Foresty don't have it included on their road closures page. Will give them a prod

Anyhow a great walk, pretty exciting in the snow. I recommend walking the loop with Wooleys tarn,note the track is poorly marked on the flatter plateua-like area above scrubline so a GPS is handy

Cheers
waif
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Mowser » Tue 06 Nov, 2018 1:15 pm

Anyone been in to Nevada Peak track recently? Is the way to go still to drive in past the lake skinner track? Cheers
Mowser
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby bogholesbuckethats » Tue 06 Nov, 2018 1:41 pm

Mowser wrote:Anyone been in to Nevada Peak track recently? Is the way to go still to drive in past the lake skinner track? Cheers

That was the correct way as of 6 months or so ago. I don't think that bridge will be getting fixed in a hurry
That looks like a pad.
bogholesbuckethats
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby north-north-west » Tue 06 Nov, 2018 5:07 pm

Yes,you still have to go that way. Note that there are a couple of spots on the connecting road that are getting a little dodgy and look as though they won't last too much longer without some maintenance. Also, a culvert has been washed out about 500m before the Snowdrift carpark, so you will have to walk a little further.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tortoise » Sun 23 Dec, 2018 10:48 pm

north-north-west wrote:Yes,you still have to go that way. Note that there are a couple of spots on the connecting road that are getting a little dodgy and look as though they won't last too much longer without some maintenance. Also, a culvert has been washed out about 500m before the Snowdrift carpark, so you will have to walk a little further.

Wondering just how dodgy - more wash outs? Probably ok in a 2wd? Ta
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby axcarmil » Mon 24 Dec, 2018 6:05 am

It was OK for a 2wd two months ago. You’ll need to take it slowly in some places.
axcarmil
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Tortoise » Mon 24 Dec, 2018 6:47 am

axcarmil wrote:It was OK for a 2wd two months ago. You’ll need to take it slowly in some places.

Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby headwerkn » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 9:12 am

Access from the Lake Skinner Track side of Russell Rd (via McDougalls Rd) was OK as of July 10-12th 2020. Road gets noticeably rougher from the Lake Skinner/Snowy South trailhead turn off to Russell Spur 3, doable in a 2WD but you'll need to take care. Track narrows appreciably for the last km or so before reaching the collapsed bridge. Note there's very little turn around or parking space at the Road Closed sign.
headwerkn

Postby RicktheHuman » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 6:23 pm

We done a car shuffle at the Snowy South/Nevada carparks a couple of months ago. Dropped a car at Nevada carpark before sunrise. Drove through a camera trap a km or two before the broken bridge, the flash was very bright. It flashed again as we drove back to Snowy South carpark.
There must be activities of some sort taking place in the area...
Take care with your belongings in vehicles...I remember a car being burnt out the carpark a few years ago stranding the returning walker
I lika do da cha-cha
RicktheHuman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby currawong » Sun 29 May, 2022 7:32 pm

Went to Nevada Peak today (29May22) via McDougalls Road. The road is in good condition. On the way out I checked the Russell River bridge and it is still closed, looks terminal.
currawong
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby L_Cham_67 » Thu 14 Jul, 2022 4:16 pm

I'm hoping what currawong said above is still accurate, but has anyone else been up McDougalls and Russell road(s) since then with an update on the road condition?
L_Cham_67
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby RicktheHuman » Tue 19 Jul, 2022 6:30 pm

there has been logging operations on Mcdougalls so the road is good as far as Skinner carpark. I've never had any trouble accessing Nevada this way.
I lika do da cha-cha
RicktheHuman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Tasmania