Wylds Craig Access

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Wylds Craig Access

Postby RicktheHuman » Mon 02 Sep, 2019 3:33 pm

Thought I'd post some info for anyone planning on heading to Wylds Craig anytime soon.
I was there on Sat 31/8.
Attempted to drive along Eleven Rd to then access Tiger Rd but due to tree falls about halfway along Eleven Rd we were forced to turn back and continued on Florentine Rd to the closed bridge at the northern end of Tiger Rd. We walked from here for 30 mins up the spur road to the track start with a couple more tree falls not far from the track. It was apparent no one had used the track for quite some time - a bit overgrown in spots.
Probably won't be too long before Eleven Rd is cleared, also being the access to The Rasselas Track (if it's open yet?)
I lika do da cha-cha
RicktheHuman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Wylds Craig Access

Postby skog » Mon 02 Sep, 2019 7:31 pm

What was the track like? I get to Wylds Craig most days from our paddock and it is on my list to visit.
When I think of something good to put here, I will................
skog
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby RicktheHuman » Mon 02 Sep, 2019 8:31 pm

Very overgrown, lots of tree falls. Not much mud and a bit of route finding required. It took longer than I thought it would even with the extra road walking but there was quite a lot of snow which slows things down considerably. A brilliant day walk and the views are outstanding, especially of The Spires
Last edited by RicktheHuman on Tue 03 Sep, 2019 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I lika do da cha-cha
RicktheHuman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby hutfinder » Tue 03 Sep, 2019 9:53 am

I've been meaning to get up there myself! Good to know that albeit a little tree-ish, that it's all open and OK to walk there. 8)
"The clearest way into the universe is through a forest wilderness."
hutfinder
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby L_Cham_67 » Wed 11 Dec, 2019 11:59 am

The road in between the Florentine River and the start of the track was clear of fallen trees as of 9/12/19. If Eleven Road and Tiger Road have been cleared of logs and debris, then you could drive all the way to the start of the track instead of parking next to the river. Taking a mountain bike is definitely an option too.
RicktheHuman wrote:Very overgrown, lots of tree falls. Not much mud and a bit of route finding required.

This is still accurate. Carrying a large pack like I was made for slow going at times. And the route around the small creek crossing in the forest is easy to lose. But fantastic views from up top makes it worthwhile.
L_Cham_67
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Tortoise » Tue 22 Sep, 2020 9:41 am

Edit: never mind
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby lefroy » Tue 22 Sep, 2020 7:26 pm

NB No dogs!
lefroy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Peripatus » Tue 12 Jan, 2021 12:36 pm

Is driving via Eleven Rd and Tiger Rd the best access from Hobart/southern Tas? The access info in The Abels is clearly outdated, with the Florentine Rd south of Wayatinah permanently closed - though Google Maps still recommends this route! Alternative access is from the Lyell Hwy: Lake Meadowbank, Dawson Rd, Jungle Rd, Florentine Rd, Tiger Rd. Noting that the bridge over the Florentine at the N end of Tiger Rd is impassable but there is a ford suitable for 4WD vehicles at low water, or else a 3.5 km uphill walk on forestry roads.
Peripatus
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Mp3robbo » Wed 27 Jan, 2021 12:49 pm

Yeah I heard through the grapevine that the lower tiger rd bridge (busted) has a new ford built beside it. If anyone has some photos that would be very interesting. The quickest access to this ford from Hobart would be via the Dunrobin bridge and Jungle Rd. If you can't ford the river then perhaps it's quickest via Maydena and the new upper Tiger Rd bridge?
Mp3robbo
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Tasmania