-14.2° Record For Tasmania

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

-14.2° Record For Tasmania

Postby Overlandman » Fri 07 Aug, 2020 2:19 pm

From ABC

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-07/ ... e/12533394

If you thought it was cold this morning, spare a thought for Liawenee in Tasmania's Central Highlands — it is already one of the coldest places in Australia and has just broken own record. 8)
Whatever, Wherever, Whenever
Overlandman
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: -14.2° Record For Tasmania

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 07 Aug, 2020 6:12 pm

Climate change continues to creep forward.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby vagrom » Sat 08 Aug, 2020 10:36 pm

Philistine.
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: WalkingSA, Frnd Cleland/Bushcare, Alltrails
Region: South Australia

Postby cams » Wed 12 Aug, 2020 2:07 pm

I was camping at Shadow Lake that night. Recorded -12.8 inside the vestibule. :shock:
cams

Postby Jon MS » Wed 12 Aug, 2020 7:36 pm

Got back this evening from 7 days walking the Overland track.

Great trip but COLD. There was effectively no wind or cloud for 5 and a half days. Had more ice than any other of my 30 odd trips through the track (most of which have been in winter). The hardest section was Ronny Creek to Waterfall Valley where much of the snow was thigh to waist deep.

Most creeks were barely flowing and the Narcissus River was lower than normal summer levels. Even after 5 or 6 days since it had snowed where snow was in the shade it was still dry and powdery.

There was almost no one on the track. Had 3 huts to myself and did not see anyone for 2 days between Waterfall Valley and Pelion and then for 3 days from Pelion to Cynthia Bay.
Jon MS
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Petew » Thu 13 Aug, 2020 1:09 pm

Jon MS wrote:Got back this evening from 7 days walking the Overland track.

Great trip but COLD. There was effectively no wind or cloud for 5 and a half days. Had more ice than any other of my 30 odd trips through the track (most of which have been in winter). The hardest section was Ronny Creek to Waterfall Valley where much of the snow was thigh to waist deep.

Most creeks were barely flowing and the Narcissus River was lower than normal summer levels. Even after 5 or 6 days since it had snowed where snow was in the shade it was still dry and powdery.

There was almost no one on the track. Had 3 huts to myself and did not see anyone for 2 days between Waterfall Valley and Pelion and then for 3 days from Pelion to Cynthia Bay.

Sounds divine.
Petew

Region: New South Wales

Postby headwerkn » Thu 13 Aug, 2020 1:22 pm

Jon MS wrote:There was almost no one on the track. Had 3 huts to myself and did not see anyone for 2 days between Waterfall Valley and Pelion and then for 3 days from Pelion to Cynthia Bay.

It was truly surprising how quiet the track was - not that we were disappointed! Honestly in those rare conditions - snow and sun - I would have thought the place would have been swarming with people.
headwerkn

Postby Jon MS » Thu 13 Aug, 2020 1:36 pm

Except that it was quite hard going with the snow and ice, it was divine. Saw a total of 9 other people.

A huge improvement from when we did the track as a family last September school holidays. On the first night, got to Waterfall Valley hut just before it rained to find it empty. We knew there were a few people around so set the 3 of us up in a corner as the people rolled in. By dusk there were about 30 in the hut and by about 7:30 when the last came in it was heaving. About 45 people in the hut with an additional about 20 camping!!!
Jon MS
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Tasmania