South Coast Track

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

South Coast Track

Postby Tanya9 » Thu 27 Aug, 2020 8:59 am

Hi Bushwalkers.
A question...
Do any of you know or heard of any female who has walked the SCT, Cockle Creek - Melaleuca - Cockle Creek, (in and out) solo ??
I would be keen to hear of her adventures and to listen to her accomplishments.
I'm looking at giving this another go in February or March 2021.
Thanks for your input to my question.
Tanya9
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: South Coast Track

Postby Mark F » Tue 01 Sep, 2020 1:44 pm

Hi. I am curious about your motivation to walk the sct in both directions on the one trip. It would seem more likely that others would extend the trip by walking out to Scotts Peak or even through to Tahune rather than double back. On my trip along the sct a couple of years ago I met a woman and her daughter (just walking the one direction). For the daughter it was a family rite of passage as the woman's mother had taken her on the same adventure in her teenage years.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Azza » Tue 01 Sep, 2020 4:58 pm

I'm surprised NNW hasn't done it.

I think the biggest challenge solo is managing the boat crossing. I seem to remember thinking that it would be a bit of a struggle solo lifting the boats and getting them in and out of the water.
But in February you are almost guaranteed to run into someone else to assist.

You can also arrange a food drop at Melaleuca.
I've always like the idea of going through to/from Scotts Peak, only because I've not done all of the Pt Davey track section.
Azza
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby north-north-west » Tue 01 Sep, 2020 5:42 pm

I've done the PDT out and back, but not the SCT. No motivation to try it, either. When I redo the whole SCT there will be a plane flight involved, even if it's just for a food drop at Melaleuca so I can walk through and do the SW Cape circuit without being overloaded at the start. Not that I'm enthused about redoing some bits of the PDT unless someone can lend me a small bulldozer.
The trickiest bit with the boats is the slip at Joan Point. Farrell is fine as the rails extend well into the water regardless of tide level. But at Joan the ends are often high and dry, and those tinnies are heavy and very awkward to man(or woman or enbie)handle. Even worse if there's a northerly. Dealing with the NRL boats is a doddle in comparison.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Tue 01 Sep, 2020 5:53 pm

I've done the SCT solo in and out. Took 9 days. But I am male. And I can agree the boats are very difficult to manage at prion beach by yourself. They dig into the sand and as NNW said very heavy to drag.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tanya9 » Thu 03 Sep, 2020 6:52 am

Thank you ilovswtas for your point of view.
Tanya9
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Tanya9 » Thu 03 Sep, 2020 7:29 am

Hi Mark F
Great to hear of the traditional mother walks
I did the SCT years ago and to be honest I'd feel more secure sticking with what I am familiar with as a soloist, given I have a colder higher longer guided trek booked and paid for in June 2021 to be hopefully injury free for.(Cancelled for June 2020)

With the SCT in and out, I have my car waiting for me at CC to drive back to Devonport. I am not dependent on anyone else for my exit.

Hope you're enjoyed some white winter walks this season. Cheers
Tanya9
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Mechanic-AL » Thu 03 Sep, 2020 1:26 pm

Hi Tanya
I would just like to say that I've done the flight into Melaleuca a number of times now and for me its an epic part of any walk down that way. The flight along the coast on a clear day gives a birds eye view of the Southern Ranges and all the offshore islands and the inland flight over/around Federation Peak and a million other mountains in that area is a memorable experience.
Might not be cheap but its definitely worth it if the weather cooperates.
"What went ye out into the wilderness to see?
A reed shaken in the wind"?
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Tanya9 » Fri 04 Sep, 2020 7:40 am

Hi Azza yes food & toddie drop is the go!
With boat crossing I'm happy to take extra time if needed to inch it up the dry sand to the marine carabiner thingies. If NRL H2O level high, bonus. If the sand is wet, bonus. If needed I'm happy to experiment with bone dry solid log .. I'm also happy to barter a nip of wild turkey for man/woman muscle power.
I'm happy to float the boat up/down NRL and use wind to assist rather than burn one bicept to hit an exact point. Rowing is not my strong point!
Thanks for your input and happy trails.
Tanya9
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Tanya9 » Fri 04 Sep, 2020 7:42 am

Hi mechanic Al I remember the view is spectacular !! Well worth the dollar for sure
Thanks for your comment.
Tanya9
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Tanya9 » Fri 04 Sep, 2020 7:55 am

NNW sounds like you would have worn out a few pairs of good boots on your travels.
You mentioned pack weight, what would you tipically carry in weight for an extended walk, not incl PLB or water 7-10 days ? Thx for your opinion.
Tanya9
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby north-north-west » Fri 04 Sep, 2020 10:32 am

Tanya9 wrote:NNW sounds like you would have worn out a few pairs of good boots on your travels.
You mentioned pack weight, what would you tipically carry in weight for an extended walk, not incl PLB or water 7-10 days ? Thx for your opinion.

As long as they don't fall to pieces while I'm out walking.

I'm not really obsessive about weight, although the body is asking for a bit of reduction so I'm working on it. It varies according to season, terrain and location. Something like the SCT, probably 10-12kg including food. Then the camera gear nudges it up a bit. Once you add tripod, two bodies, three lenses and all the spare bits and pieces there's another few kg.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Return to Tasmania