Online maps for Tas

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Online maps for Tas

Postby tom_brennan » Sun 07 Feb, 2021 4:43 pm

For those who don't know, I have a mapping application for NSW that I ported to support Tasmania a few months back.

https://maps.ozultimate.com/archive/tas/

2021-02-07 17_39_39-NSW Bushwalking Maps – Mozilla Firefox.png
2021-02-07 17_39_39-NSW Bushwalking Maps – Mozilla Firefox.png (813.42 KiB) Viewed 17621 times

At its simplest, it layers the topo maps and aerial imagery. It allows drawing routes, points, labelling, saving and sharing.

It's not as flexible as LISTmap, and in fact probably has less features(!), but I think it's easier to use and that the key functions you use regularly are more accessible.

Layers: The map has two main layers: the TAS Imagery (Aerial Photos) layer and the TAS Topographic Map layer. Use the slider in the top right to transition from one to the other.

Load Files: Drag and drop GPX (from your GPS), KML (Google Earth) or GeoJSON files on to the map and they will automatically appear, or you can use the File Open icon.

Draw: Click on the respective icons to draw Lines, Polygons or Markers. These can subsequently be edited or deleted using the relevant Edit and Delete icons.

Add labels: Click on a feature, and box will pop up to add a label. The label will be visible when you hover over the feature.

Distance Calculation: When you have drawn a Line, the distance will pop up. If you subsequently edit the Line, the distance will recalculate. Useful for things like measuring the length of bushwalking tracks.

Area Calculation: When you have drawn a Polygon, the area will pop up. If you subsequently edit the Polygon, the area will recalculate. Useful for things like measuring the size of catchments.

Save to Computer: Use the various Save icons to download the features to your computer, in GPX (for GPS), KML (for Google Earth/Maps) or GeoJSON format

Share Link: Click on the Link icon to save the data you have loaded/drawn to the server, and create a link that you can copy and share with others

Hopefully it's useful to some.
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Online maps for Tas

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Sun 07 Feb, 2021 7:26 pm

That's really cool.

Impressive, thanks.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Tortoise » Sun 07 Feb, 2021 7:31 pm

Hey Tom,

I'm a fan already! I've tried a few times to do some of those basics on LISTmap, but end up back at square one, and a little more frustrated each time. The first couple of things I tried on yours WORKED first time! :D Then when I couldn't figure out the next thing, the Help actually helped me do it. Really appreciate your effort. I'm very confident that I'll use this a lot. :D
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby biggbird » Mon 08 Feb, 2021 8:05 am

Nice one Tom, thanks!
biggbird
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby tastrax » Mon 08 Feb, 2021 8:28 am

Nice work - the biggest bonus is dropping on your own files. This is a real hassle on LIST as the files need to be online with HTTPS connections. Could I also suggest that you add the topo layer as an option as it covers all areas including the Bass Strait Islands and places like Maatsuyker Island (which are missing from the Raster Tasmaps)
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby biggbird » Mon 08 Feb, 2021 9:24 am

Just answered my own question re: opacity of the overlying topo... There is a slider on the top R which allows this, and now that I have read your post properly I see that it is even mentioned in the instructions... My bad!
biggbird

Postby tom_brennan » Mon 08 Feb, 2021 1:09 pm

tastrax wrote:Could I also suggest that you add the topo layer as an option as it covers all areas including the Bass Strait Islands and places like Maatsuyker Island (which are missing from the Raster Tasmaps)

I had a quick look but doesn't seem straightforward, short of simply replacing the raster maps with the topo layer. If anyone wants to take a look at the code and see if they can make the change, I'm happy to integrate it.

I did this a couple of months back when we came to Tassie to walk the Western Arthurs (shameless self promotion - https://photos.ozultimate.com/Bushwalki ... n-arthurs/) so it's kind of an "as-is" thing!
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Graham17 » Thu 25 Feb, 2021 6:33 am

Liken it, thanks Tom
Graham17
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Tortoise » Wed 10 Mar, 2021 6:38 pm

Ok, so I was a little optimistic thinking I could follow such simple instructions for something involving technology. :x :roll:

I've tried dragging and dropping (onto the GPS) the file I saved onto my computer as a gpx file, which has worked before. (It was definitely .gpx) Unfortunately it said there was some kind of error. I've got a Mac and an Etrex 30. I was surprised the file of the route I drew was only 2 kb. I don't spose there's a simple solution anyone can offer from a distance...??
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tom_brennan » Wed 28 Apr, 2021 9:14 pm

Tortoise wrote:I've tried dragging and dropping (onto the GPS) the file I saved onto my computer as a gpx file, which has worked before. (It was definitely .gpx) Unfortunately it said there was some kind of error. I've got a Mac and an Etrex 30. I was surprised the file of the route I drew was only 2 kb. I don't spose there's a simple solution anyone can offer from a distance...??

I did up a quick track on the tool, downloaded it to my computer as a GPX file, and dropped it on my Etrex 20, and it worked fine. It was only 2kb as well. So unless there's an issue with doing it via a Mac - which there shouldn't be - I don't have anything to suggest
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Tortoise » Wed 28 Apr, 2021 9:38 pm

tom_brennan wrote:
Tortoise wrote:I've tried dragging and dropping (onto the GPS) the file I saved onto my computer as a gpx file, which has worked before. (It was definitely .gpx) Unfortunately it said there was some kind of error. I've got a Mac and an Etrex 30. I was surprised the file of the route I drew was only 2 kb. I don't spose there's a simple solution anyone can offer from a distance...??

I did up a quick track on the tool, downloaded it to my computer as a GPX file, and dropped it on my Etrex 20, and it worked fine. It was only 2kb as well. So unless there's an issue with doing it via a Mac - which there shouldn't be - I don't have anything to suggest

Thanks for having a go at it, Tom. Technology just doesn't like me! Mac does weird stuff with photos, doubling the file size sometimes when I export a file from 'Photos' to be able to upload it or print it. Maybe Basecamp on the Mac mucks this up in some way. Any Mac users been successful with this?
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Tasmania