Western Arthur A-K advice

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Western Arthur A-K advice

Postby philm » Mon 15 Feb, 2021 7:09 am

In the final stages of planning the walk for a party of 3 and just wanted some advice on the best side trips to undertake along the way.

We have allowed for 7 days including 1 wet weather day.

Can you recommend the best side trips along the way and the rough times (I have Chapmans book)

Also in terms of tents we are taking a Mont Moondance 1 and in terms of the second 2 person tent we have the option of taking with a MSR Hubba Hubba (2 person) - 1.7kg or a Hilleberg Allak 2.8kg. I was thinking I would make a decision just before we go based on the weather forecast.

I understand the main issues are high winds and that most camp sties are sheltered except for High Moor?

Also if the tent platforms are full what options are there? Just camp near the lakes themselves? I don't believe there are any other places to pitch a tent?

Thanks for your advice
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Re: Western Arthur A-K advice

Postby CBee » Mon 15 Feb, 2021 7:55 am

The best views IMO are from the peaks around Oberon and Uranus. The whole traverse is straightforward and the campsites pretty sheltered and suitable to any tent. High Moor is tricky to protect if a front is coming in, but there is a nice bivvy cave on the descent of Capricorn, could fit 3 people. Looks cosy. Also, there are nice spots above and at square lake. The rest of the hike past oberon shouldn't be crow
ded. My opinion is that the hardest part is the return on the Arthurs plains during heavy rain/floods. A bit of a slow mess. The rest on the range is fun.
CBee
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby doogs » Mon 15 Feb, 2021 9:21 am

You should be able to do all the side trips between A-K in 6 or 7 days with good weather. I managed to climb all the peaks along the range, except Shaula, but including The Phoenix, Carina and Canopus (after K) in 5 days. Just take your time, there's no need to rush to get to a campsite... all the side trips are worthwhile just choose the ones on the clear days, there's not a lot of point in climbing a peak that's clagged in unless you are a peak bagger!
There's no need to get to a recognised overnight location as there is plenty of camping along the range, just keep a look out and you can have a speccy spot all to yourselves :) eg. plenty of nice spots around High Moor away from the platforms especially in good weather near Columba. Boulders are great wind shields too. Get creative with you camping!!
Do you want to build a snowman?
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby danman » Mon 15 Feb, 2021 1:47 pm

CBee wrote:The best views IMO are from the peaks around Oberon and Uranus. The whole traverse is straightforward and the campsites pretty sheltered and suitable to any tent. High Moor is tricky to protect if a front is coming in, but there is a nice bivvy cave on the descent of Capricorn, could fit 3 people. Looks cosy. Also, there are nice spots above and at square lake. The rest of the hike past oberon shouldn't be crow
ded. My opinion is that the hardest part is the return on the Arthurs plains during heavy rain/floods. A bit of a slow mess. The rest on the range is fun.

sounds like a doddle!
danman
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby CBee » Mon 15 Feb, 2021 2:09 pm

The doddle of South West Tasmania?
CBee

Postby samlar » Tue 16 Feb, 2021 1:09 am

The best views IMO are from the peaks around Oberon and Uranus. The whole traverse is straightforward and the campsites pretty sheltered and suitable to any tent. High Moor is tricky to protect if a front is coming in, but there is a nice bivvy cave on the descent of Capricorn, could fit 3 people. Looks cosy. Also, there are nice spots above and at square lake. The rest of the hike past oberon shouldn't be crow

agreed
the views are mesmerizable
Hi there
samlar
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Postby headwerkn » Fri 19 Feb, 2021 7:34 pm

CBee wrote:The rest of the hike past oberon shouldn't be crowded.

High Moor and Haven Lake were the most crowded camps for our trip, relative to available space. We had just enough room for everyone on the platforms at High Moor but the tiny platforms at Haven Lake were already filled (poorly - can't fit two 2pp tents on them) by the time our group rolled in at 4pm and had to make do with the lousy spots around the outlet and further up the track. Another group came in later and really drew the short straw in terms on tent sites... Haven Lake really needs another, bigger platform.
headwerkn

Postby CBee » Fri 19 Feb, 2021 8:00 pm

I'm pretty sure there is a fantastic spot 15-20 minutes before Haven Lake on a flat saddle. Perhaps a tad exposed. Generally you know how many people are on the traverse since you peek at the logbook.
CBee

Postby north-north-west » Sat 20 Feb, 2021 6:12 am

CBee wrote:I'm pretty sure there is a fantastic spot 15-20 minutes before Haven Lake on a flat saddle. Perhaps a tad exposed. Generally you know how many people are on the traverse since you peek at the logbook.

There are also exposed sites just past it, up near the ridge. And it's not that far to Sirona.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby CBee » Sat 20 Feb, 2021 9:09 am

There are also exposed sites just past it, up near the ridge. And it's not that far to Sirona.

Yes, a nice spot indeed if weather is good. Otherwise you are fully exposed to the west, between Haven and Sirona.
CBee

Postby philm » Sat 20 Feb, 2021 10:00 am

Thanks for the replies everyone. If the weather is good we may stop before Haven on the ridge. Is there any water around or would we need to go to around haven lake for it?
Also how long would it take us to walk from Haven to Sirona Lake and is there some nice tent spots there?
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby north-north-west » Sat 20 Feb, 2021 1:23 pm

Water at Haven is from the outlet creek, and that isn't all that far from the earlier campsite.
Sirona has some brilliant camping. It's a bit over 1km between the two lakes - basically up to the ridge, traverse a bit, then a steep eroded descent. Half an hour, maybe. But Haven is a better base for the sidetrip out to Aldebaran.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby myrtlegirl » Mon 28 Feb, 2022 8:55 am

happy Monday all,

if you've walked the WAs recently, I'm interested to hear about water availability* up there please? It's been a bit drier in Feb and a bit warmer in Jan than usual according to BoM data at Scotts Peak.

*and anything else you'd like to share, tips and wonderful tales too

Cheers
myrtlegirl
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Mon 28 Feb, 2022 5:02 pm

Fairly recent reports that water is an issue at High Moor - virtually none, and what little was there was somewhat on the rank side - although the current rain will help for a while. Other campsites are lakes, so no problem.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 05 Jul, 2022 10:11 am

Hi, any folks, possibly NNW, who have experience with Vic & Tas hikes, what Vic bushwalks could compare/be useful build up for an A-K WA traverse?
I'm guessing the Venn diagram would be be 2 separate circles with no intersection, but just interested.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby bernieq » Tue 05 Jul, 2022 10:07 pm

Imo, the WAs aren't comparable to anything in Victoria - picture multiple Helicopter Spurs, up and down, on several days in a row.

You need a good head for exposed heights, extensive bushwalking experience, good fitness & luck with the weather.
DSCN5139.jpg
DSCN5139.jpg (255.71 KiB) Viewed 8933 times

We walked A-K in 2010, lucked in with only one enforced wx day. Route was mostly obvious - I suspect it's more eroded these days.

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq

Postby Baeng72 » Wed 06 Jul, 2022 10:09 am

Thanks. I figured there'd be nothing like it.
I was imagining the Helicopter. Spur before posting, as that's the only reference point I have in Vic for a scrambly hike.
It's relatively simple descending Helicopter Spur, but has beaten me several times ascending due to "worn weight".
The other thing I thought might be similar is Cathedral ranges Wells Cave track (which I haven't attempted).

At least it isn't "traverse Serra range whilst having a Helicopter drop buckets of muddy water on you regularly" hard. :)
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby JamesMc » Wed 20 Jul, 2022 8:19 pm

For Victorian training for the Western Arthurs, I suggest walking down into the Terrible Hollow from the Cross Cut Saw then up the Devils Staircase to Valejo Gantner Hut. (You can camp at the bottom.) For best effect, this should be done in cold driving rain. I imagine the Devils Backbone up out of Little River Gorge to the lookout would probably be good too, but I have not done it.

James Mc
JamesMc
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Baeng72 » Sun 24 Jul, 2022 3:05 pm

JamesMc wrote:For Victorian training for the Western Arthurs, I suggest walking down into the Terrible Hollow from the Cross Cut Saw then up the Devils Staircase to Valejo Gantner Hut. (You can camp at the bottom.) For best effect, this should be done in cold driving rain. I imagine the Devils Backbone up out of Little River Gorge to the lookout would probably be good too, but I have not done it.

James Mc

Thanks. :)
WAT has a well worn track, roots, mud and all. The route you suggested needs route finding, jetpack for the bluffs, and a high disregard for personal safety of self and potential rescuers.
I think I'd prefer it if you'd said Serra range in the rain, at least that's pretty simple route finding - stay near the ridge and don't die.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Tasmania