South Coast Track info

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

South Coast Track info

Postby Stellavesperis » Thu 11 Mar, 2021 7:34 am

Hi,

I am thinking of doing the South Coast Track in mid-April. Am I correct in thinking April is borderline timing-wise? Have others on here walked it around that time? From what I've read elsewhere online, some say Dec-March is the best time, and others Dec-April. I have an older edition of Chapman's SW Tas book and he isn't really specific (just says Feb-Mar is the best time to walk and "in other seasons" fine weather is rare).

I have ordered his Sth Coast Track book but haven't received it yet.

So basically I am tossing up whether it's worth pushing the whole thing forward by a couple of weeks to late March-early April to order to maximise the weather chances.

Also, the flights to Melaleuca -- I called Par Avion and they told me the flights are scheduled at 2:30 pm every day, which leaves plenty of time to walk to the first campsite. This didn't sound right to me -- especially later in the season when night falls significantly earlier. Do people actually camp at Melaleuca and set off the next morning?

Thanks!
Stellavesperis
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: South Coast Track info

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Thu 11 Mar, 2021 9:22 am

Yes there's huts at Melaleuca.

April's weather is usually ok, just a bit cooler. It's just the days are significantly shorter. Providing you allow extra time for that you'll be ok.

Flights in usually depend on weather and numbers. They won't take bookings too far out and it can change closer to the day.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby north-north-west » Thu 11 Mar, 2021 2:32 pm

I took the 14:30 flight late January, left Melaleuca before 16:00, and camped high on the New Harbour Range that night. Freeney campsite is easily reachable in less time - maybe three hours. Remember, in April we'll be out of Daylight Saving, so the 14:30 flight will leave at what is currently 13:30. Plenty of light.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby rangersac » Thu 11 Mar, 2021 5:03 pm

I walked it in early April following a standard 7 day itinerary and still had plenty of light all days. Temps are a bit cooler but nothing too serious, and to be honest given the sizeable pack you'll be carrying and no lack of hills on the trail, cooler weather can be a bit of a blessing
rangersac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Pink Cap » Sun 25 Apr, 2021 4:10 pm

I just did an out and back from Cockle Creek to Surprise Bay over 4 days. The creeks were high and South Cape Rivulet was difficult to cross. If I’d had the opportunity I would have preferred to go in summer but my February visit was thwarted by lockdown. I saw a lot of mud between South Cape Rivulet and Granite Beach, not sure if it was more than usual.
Pink Cap
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australia

Return to Tasmania