Maggs Spur 17

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Maggs Spur 17

Postby jules_p » Thu 25 Mar, 2021 12:37 pm

Hello, my friend and I are walking in to Pelion and another friend kindly told us that Maggs will get us to ART without an almost 150m needless output for only a km or so more. (sold!). Does anyone have a GPX file they can share for this? We are heading in Oct. Thank you!
jules_p
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: South Australia

Re: Maggs Spur 17

Postby matagi » Thu 25 Mar, 2021 2:31 pm

Maggs Track crosses some very sensitive areas, so really should be avoided if possible.

Arm River Track is more hardened and in the last few years they have made the bottom of the track much easier to negotiate. It zig zags up the hill instead of going straight up like it used to, so it's not really that steep or difficult (and I speak as a moderately fit woman in her 60s).
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Tortoise » Thu 25 Mar, 2021 2:59 pm

The other thing is that last I heard, the Maggs Spur 17 track was becoming overgrown. Now that the steep bit of the ART has been zig-zagged, it's the easiest route in to Pelion. As matagi said, it's not a big deal anymore. Not even for this tortoise.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Thu 25 Mar, 2021 4:23 pm

Maggs would be harder work now as hardly anyone ever uses it. Even I can get up past Lake Price in less than an hour with a full pack now the track has been flashed up.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby jules_p » Thu 25 Mar, 2021 7:05 pm

Well this is all very enlightening and helpful. I wasn't aware of the sensitivities of the area which is significant in not going this way. We are hiking WoJ in the previous days to this so the 'easier' route was appealing until greater understanding on Maggs. Thank you, All.
jules_p
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: South Australia

Return to Tasmania