Boat landing at Prion Beach

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Boat landing at Prion Beach

Postby NelsonPK » Tue 30 Mar, 2021 5:46 pm

Hi there

Does anyone here have first-hand experience of landing a boat at Prion Beach?

I've spoken to people that have kayaked round and up New River Lagoon, but I'm more interested in the logistics of making a landing onto the beach from a boat.

Anyone?
NelsonPK
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Re: Boat landing at Prion Beach

Postby doogs » Thu 01 Apr, 2021 7:53 am

What sort of boat? I know fishermen who have landed their Tinnies at various locations along the coast but not Prion beach, it's very exposed to the southern Ocean and you'd need almost perfect conditions for a few days prior to land a boat in there. It's also not that far to walk in, sounds like a cluster#$_@ waiting to happen!
Do you want to build a snowman?
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Azza » Thu 01 Apr, 2021 11:30 am

Rocky Boat Inlet - as the name suggests could be an option - like its been used before.

I've walked in there and it has some shelter from the southerly swell.
Azza
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby jmac » Sun 04 Apr, 2021 11:22 am

I've carried boats across the South Coast Track to access the lagoon and hinterland, rather than risk the treacherous landing on Prion Beach.

J.
Attachments
file0014.jpg
jmac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby msw » Thu 24 Jun, 2021 11:59 pm

I've paddled sea kayaks from Cockle Creek into New River Lagoon twice. I had been looking out for a big high-pressure system over the state for a while to enable it - and waiting for the swells to be as small as possible because Prion Beach seems to get bigger surf than the surrounding beaches. I've landed at Rocky Boat Inlet and Little Deadmans Bay when it was way too big to land at Prion Beach. You might get into Prion Beach - but you need to be able to leave again.

On my second visit, I surfed up into the river ok but the weather turned while I was at PB and I was stuck waiting at the Prion Beach camp for a further few days until I was lucky enough to get out through the big surf again. On the previous days I'd tried to get out and was hammered in the surf when I was nearly out on a few occasions & the damaged kayak was washed back to the beach and I was swimming in for quite a while. It wasn't fun.

It takes a lot of waiting & luck to get conditions that allow you to get into the lagoon & back out again safely.

If you are in a boat, the most appropriate craft would be a surf life saving IRB (ducky) to deal with the surf - but it's a fair trip from Cockle Creek.

best wishes
matt.
msw
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Tasmania