South Coast Track September.....What to Expect?

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

South Coast Track September.....What to Expect?

Postby Chuen » Sun 11 Apr, 2021 1:49 pm

Hi Guys!
New here,
Looking for people who have walked the track in August / September. We are have planned to walk at this time. I know to expect harsh conditions. I'm just wondering how muddy to expect it. Of course I'm expecting to wade through mud for parts. But from people who have actually done it at this time of year. How much of the track is really a mud bath?
Thanks in advance for any responses / advice
Cheers
Nina
Chuen
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: South Coast Track September.....What to Expect?

Postby north-north-west » Sun 11 Apr, 2021 2:07 pm

At that time of the year ... it's the most unstable season in Tassie, in one of the island's most unstable areas. Worst bits are the eastern side of the Ironbounds and the South Cape Range. Ii t won't just be mud - there will be running water on the steeper bits, especially the Ironbounds.
Enjoy.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Chuen » Sun 11 Apr, 2021 2:34 pm

north-north-west wrote:At that time of the year ... it's the most unstable season in Tassie, in one of the island's most unstable areas. Worst bits are the eastern side of the Ironbounds and the South Cape Range. Ii t won't just be mud - there will be running water on the steeper bits, especially the Ironbounds.
Enjoy.

Thanks for replying.
Have you walked it in early September? Would you walk it again at that time if you have?
I'd like to pick your brains if you've walked in the winter....Thanks
Chuen
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby north-north-west » Sun 11 Apr, 2021 5:36 pm

I've mucked around near Melaleuca in September, and done Cockle Creek to SCRivulet and back, but that's about it at that time of year. I save the longer trips down there for more settled weather and longer days.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Jon MS » Mon 12 Apr, 2021 9:20 am

I have done the South Coast at that time of year (plus over 40 times in other seasons).

Assuming you don't get floods probably the the biggest issue is short day lengths.

With floods, it will depend on your luck with weather. While the major issue will be Louisa River, you may also have problems at Faraway Ck, Louisa Ck, Surprise Rvt and South Cape Rvt plus if creeks are in full flood several other smaller creeks (eg the creek west of Turua Beach). Except for Surprise Rvt and South Cape Rvt, when in flood all of these will be too fast flowing to cross safely using a packraft.

Most groups take 10 to 12+ hours to cross the Ironbounds. At that time of year that means the entire daylight hours so you will need to get up in the dark and camp at last light (or later).

During gales, the Ironbounds could be a challenge! I have had knee deep snow on top which slows you down heaps.

As regards mud, the South Coast track is ALWAYS muddy. In some very dry seasons in summer some of the mud can dry out but none of the big mud patches ever dry out.

Having said all that, I have had very stable weather in winter on the South Coast track, including sleeping on beaches in a bivy bag under the stars.
Jon MS
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby wander » Mon 12 Apr, 2021 2:32 pm

Another round of mud has disappeared with more recent track works. So Buoy Creek Valley is pretty clean now, as is the route through to Louisa River. But there will be long sections of duckboard on the latter that will be under water for long stretches.

Poor vis can be expected, expect to be walking in cloud often. Navigation wise this really only impacts over the South Cape Range where the trail is a set of braided trails some of which loop into circle work in a mud swamp on the first top out going West to East.

Comments based on going through January 2021 and a 1/2 dozen trips on previous years.
wander
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: South Australia

Postby Chuen » Mon 19 Apr, 2021 9:32 pm

Thanks for all your comments guys. You've been very helpful :)
Chuen
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Tasmania