After some social media advice

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

After some social media advice

Postby L_Cham_67 » Tue 13 Apr, 2021 11:24 am

Many of you would already know that I have a YouTube channel which relates to bushwalking in Tasmania. Many of you may enjoy them, many of you may be disappointed at the fact many seldom visited places are shown on it. For at least half a year (probably since the Disappearing Tarn debacle), I've been extremely uncertain about whether or not its sustainable for me to continue making these videos, for the sake of the natural environment. Recent discussions on Facebook have brought this topic to the front of my mind. I've read all the comments on the posts, and know people making comments from both 'sides', for lack of a better term. I guess I'm after some advice.

I'm sure that 99% of bushwalkers in Tasmania deeply love and respect the wilderness and what it has to offer. And the balance between promotion and conservation is a difficult one to find. You need people to understand why these places are worth preserving, but they can't do that without seeing or experiencing it (in my opinion). But with visitation comes impacts. And with that comes mud, unofficial tracks, pink tape, or new infrastructure if it is on an existing track (South Coast for example). And I 100% believe that social media is playing a part in the increase of visitation.

I'll preface my question by saying this:
While I do have a YouTube channel, I don't share links to it on Facebook. That way if people want to find out information on the walk I've posted, they'll have to do their own research instead of just pressing a link on their news feed. I also don't post on Instagram anymore, and the blog I had for about a year is now on private, so only I can look at it. I also don't provide GPX files to people unless I know them, or can determine their level of experience.

My question is: what is the solution? Is it as simple as taking the channel down? Should I only post videos of official tracks shown on LISTmap and hard copy maps? Have more emphasis on Leave No Trace and Minimal Impact Bushwalking? The reason I'm uncertain is because I receive so many messages and comments from people who tell me that they really enjoy the videos. Some Melbournians told me they looked forward to uploads during their lockdown last year, others told me they like the "authentic" style, others say their helpful. I've even had parents of young children tell me that their kids really like the videos.

I like to think that I don't reveal huge amounts of detail about off track walks in the videos. Certainly the more recent videos are less detail oriented. But yeah, I thought I'd ask the question here, seeing as there are plenty of experienced walkers here who will hopefully have some helpful advice. Feel free to PM as well if you want.

Thanks, Lucas
Last edited by L_Cham_67 on Wed 14 Apr, 2021 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
L_Cham_67
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: After some advice

Postby Mechanic-AL » Tue 13 Apr, 2021 7:34 pm

I'm afraid you'll have to excuse the cynique in me Lucas but I cant help but feel that this is an attempt to garner support or validate what you do.

If you or anybody makes clips of your walks or enjoys writing up detailed trip reports to share with friends that is your right to do so and I personally dont have any issue with that. When somebody chooses to share their clips with the rest of the world I start to wonder why ? Are you seeking adulation from the wider public for your exploits. What is it that makes people NEED to do this ?

If you can honestly answer this question you will probably be getting close to answering your own question.
"What went ye out into the wilderness to see?
A reed shaken in the wind"?
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby scrub boy » Tue 13 Apr, 2021 8:03 pm

I enjoy your videos and I think you should keep making them - you don't seem like the adulation type. Making video's is not for me but I do consume them for various reasons, not really for information although they can be useful, mostly just because I'm interested in walking and like to see what a particular walk is like. Mostly there is no issue. There are always places that are best left alone and others where some details should be left out or where a message about how to reduce impact might be appropriate. You are clearly thinking about this and I think there are 4 or 5 fundamental principles that you could formulate to guide you in this and i'm sure you can figure that out. Looking at your videos I don't see the issue with the locations you present. The one exception is the Mt Olympus video - although there is at least one other similar video on another channel that also shows a bit too much detail. It's good that you don't use drones - they are not permitted in the WHA despite their regular use on you tube.
scrub boy
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby crollsurf » Tue 13 Apr, 2021 8:55 pm

Only you can answer your own question.

I've seen people cop a lot of abuse on social media by people who had been there (obviously someone else showed them) for showing a so called "secret spot". And the poster didn't even say where it was other than it was in the Blue Mountains. Sydney's backyard for *&^%$# sake.

On the other side of the coin, I've seen semi-secret surfing spots become mainstream.

I think you can still do this but places that are semi-secret/unknown, just don't give any glues away.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby L_Cham_67 » Wed 14 Apr, 2021 9:08 am

Thanks for the responses.
L_Cham_67
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 14 Apr, 2021 9:23 am

I don't do social media. But I can understand wanting to share an exciting or exhilarating wilderness experience with other people (eg, I've posted a few trip reports to this forum in the past, eg, this one being the most significant - oops I've just done it again!). It's only human to want to share our highs and lows with other people. But social media, web sites, etc, mean that we can trivially do so in great detail not just with the our actual friends (in the true sense of the word), but with the world at large, which is a whole different ball game.

For myself, if I had those particular concerns about the area for which I wanted to share my experiences, I would make sure that no information about the actual location or access to it was included. Just something very vague like "deep in the south-west of Tasmania".
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Re: After some social media advice

Postby doogs » Wed 14 Apr, 2021 2:46 pm

Yup it's a tricky one. Your videos are great and you clearly enjoy making them. I appreciate that you don't share them on social media, although I notice that others do particularly the Pandani FB page. Is there a way that you can password protect your youtube videos so that they can only be seen by your mates and people you want to allow viewing? I think Vimeo is set up that way. A start in the right direction (IMO) would be to have a disclaimer not to share your videos and to try and work out what audience, if any, that you want to share with and then figuring out how to achieve that. The rules about sensitive areas on this forum are a good start on what is and isn't suitable for sharing. I have to say Son of a Beach was many years ahead of the curve when he wrote these guidelines and needs to be applauded for them as they have had much comment on social media recently and become a bit of a catch cry for what's suitable to share online.
Do you want to build a snowman?
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tazz81 » Wed 14 Apr, 2021 2:48 pm

I’m on the fence. On the one hand I hate how popular Tas has become and my favourite walks/areas are being overrun and trashed. But if I continue with that line of argument then it would be hypocritical of me to go hiking in places other than where I was born (best hikes I’ve ever done have been in NZ/French Alps). I hate influencers/you tubers - but whenever I research a walk I always watch the video/blog of someone that’s been there...
Tazz81
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby camm » Wed 14 Apr, 2021 2:53 pm

I reckon I'd ask myself if I was writing a guide book and hoped to sell 10,000 copies whether I would include this walk?
camm
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby Robparsons » Thu 15 Apr, 2021 6:56 am

Tazz81 wrote:I hate influencers/you tubers - but whenever I research a walk I always watch the video/blog of someone that’s been there...

Dombrovskis and Truchanas were influencers... I take it you hate them too?

In response to your concerns Lucas I can understand your feeling of liability, you should however remember that for many years the Tasmanian wilderness has been documented in a multitude of various forms from drawings, paintings, slides and photographs.

Not a single person on this forum would have experienced the Tasmanian Wilderness had it not been for these early examples of documentation.

What was once photographs and paintings is now 30 frames per second films, and very soon to be virtual reality (KathmanduXGooglemaps)

And while it is so important to preserve and protect what we still have here in Tasmania not everyone who sees our videos are going out at it, in over 18 months since I first visited the 'new' Jane hut, with over 8 Thousand views on the video, not a single person visited.

Now lets talk about all the positive things your videos do, like provide the disabled with the closest experience they will ever get to wilderness in there lives. How about all those Aged 65+ views you get from the elderly who can't go out and enjoy the state themselves anymore? Or about those families that go out on the weekend and climbed that mountain because they saw you do it. You see at a time now, when the population is suffocating themselves in Trash t.v, Social media and Netflix series, our videos serve as a gateway to something real. You give that up and you really are giving up the good fight.

Btw I wouldn't ask these kooks for advice.
Robparsons
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: No

Postby north-north-west » Thu 15 Apr, 2021 8:22 am

Robparsons wrote:... you should however remember that for many years the Tasmanian wilderness has been documented in a multitude of various forms from drawings, paintings, slides and photographs.

Not a single person on this forum would have experienced the Tasmanian Wilderness had it not been for these early examples of documentation.

That's ... kind of a long bow to draw. Some people are drawn to exploration. It's not like the earliest inhabitants had prior documentation upon which they could rely.
Some of us were mucking about in the bush as kids without ever having seen a photograph or painting or even map. We just went over the back fence to see what was out there.

As for those like Truchanas and Dombrovskis, what were their influences and motivations? You really think you know?

And while it is so important to preserve and protect what we still have here in Tasmania not everyone who sees our videos are going out at it, in over 18 months since I first visited the 'new' Jane hut, with over 8 Thousand views on the video, not a single person visited.

Given the "How difficult and dangerous my life is" overtone of your vids, that's hardly surprising.

How about all those Aged 65+ views you get from the elderly who can't go out and enjoy the state themselves anymore?

So in two years I'm going to be suddenly incapable of bushwalking? There are a lot of older people out there walking, and they are often the more competent bushies.

Or about those families that go out on the weekend and climbed that mountain because they saw you do it.

And who don't know how to do it without damaging the place, who don't know how to take care of themselves out there ... that's kind of part of what we're talking about, isn't it.

Btw I wouldn't ask these kooks for advice.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Awwww, did someone here hurt your feelings?
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby tastrax » Thu 15 Apr, 2021 9:13 am

This is a very personal issue that I suspect all of us face at some point in time. You will find people across the entire spectrum of 'give them every piece of information they want' to to the 'give them nothing brigade' .

Personally I only ever give information on the more popular tracks and nothing in remote areas. This is not because I want to keep them 'secret' or for the 'elite' walkers, its simply because the individual walker should know when they are capable of walking in these areas. That's the whole reason they are reserved, so that people can expand their knowledge and experience. They should not need a coaching video or explicit GPS trails or a path worn by others. They will know when they are ready. They may fail in their endeavour but that's OK, we have all done that at some stage and its part of the experience.

Learning from your own experience, I find, is better than 'blindly' following along behind others.
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby Mechanic-AL » Thu 15 Apr, 2021 9:20 am

Robparsons wrote:
Not a single person on this forum would have experienced the Tasmanian Wilderness had it not been for these early examples of documentation. .

WOW...what a complete load.......

Plenty of people on this forum have eexperienced Tasmanian wilderness simply through their own motivation. Most have even managed to do it without needing a helicopter to save their bacon.
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Thu 15 Apr, 2021 9:26 am

Mechanic-AL wrote:
Robparsons wrote:
Not a single person on this forum would have experienced the Tasmanian Wilderness had it not been for these early examples of documentation. .

WOW...what a complete load.......

Plenty of people on this forum have eexperienced Tasmanian wilderness simply through their own motivation. Most have even managed to do it without needing a helicopter to save their bacon.

Orrrr using one to get to the start of a walk? Wow. Talk about elite.

I'm pretty certain if Peter or Olegas saw the influence they have had in luring people to the bush they'd re-think their strategy.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby crollsurf » Thu 15 Apr, 2021 10:08 am

Robparsons wrote:Btw I wouldn't ask these kooks for advice.

Ok Boomer
How to lose an argument 101
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby doogs » Thu 15 Apr, 2021 10:19 am

Robparsons wrote: #blah# self absorbed egotistic codswallop #blah#

How are you going with your commercial film and drone use licences for National Parks Rob? There's a huge difference between the respectful videos the initial poster makes and your yeehaw cowboys ones!!!
Do you want to build a snowman?
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Thu 15 Apr, 2021 10:34 am

The influence of an un-captioned photo can be as great as a drone fed expose of somewhere unique. Nothing is publicaly shared that isn't done so on behalf of all owners.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stepbystep » Thu 15 Apr, 2021 10:46 am

Good on the OP for asking! Admittedly I don't look at his YouTubes or anyone else's. I have seen bits and bobs of Rob P's (still waiting on the call Rob)!
Personally the act of discovery is the joy, I don't enjoy living vicariously through others. But that's just me.

My experience ...

I was for some time of the school of thought that "To see it is to love it and to want to protect it" - classic Bob Brown line ... and of course it is true and will remain true. But ... it's 2021.
I freely shared images of remote and not so remote places. I would name them. I called myself an educator, I was encouraging people to connect with nature yada yada ... I have however always tried to observed the sage advice contained in Rule 24 of this forum and taken that into the social media space, with some failings in the past. I got lots of numbers on Insta, even before it was big! I got courted by Tourism Tasmania, even went on a TT funded trip to the SW to photograph a tourism operation. It was soon after this I began to observe the growing problem ... I freaked out and deleted my Instagram, just as I was about to be launched into Influencer superstardom???? It took me 3.5 years to reactivate it.

In that time (and to this day) much like the OP is doing I sought advice, wrung my hands and went bushwalking. I soon resolved that the education I wanted to do with my photographic and filmmaking work was purely conservation oriented. It's the only way I felt I could be useful. Not to be part of the problem. If I share images of my trips now, I don't locate them and the messaging is carefully considered. I no longer play the "Where Am I" game on this forum, which I enjoyed - out of worry about people snooping. I haven't gone through and 'corrected' my social media history - that's for me to own. I now spend inordinate amounts of time organising conservation campaigns and donate all imagery I can to multiple ENGO's or publications highlighting the issues I advocate.

That's my journey. I call it evolution, or more to the point a way I can survive in this time. So, basically we can change, we can admit our approach needs to change, we can admit we are wrong. And we can fade away into the shadows (like I did for a time) or we can mobilise and organise and advocate and encourage. Change.

So advice for the OP - just pause for a bit until you're clearer in your thinking. You can de-activate your account for a while. You can change privacy settings. Curate your page. Perhaps just pause for a bit?

The current crop of YouTubers finding prominence in this space aren't listening to advice. They are doing what humans do. They are staunchly defending their actions using old tropes like Bob's line from 30-odd years ago to justify their activities. I believed the lines I pedalled 6 or 7 years ago too... This post probably won't help them, it'll take time unfortunately.

Comparisons to Olegas and PD are infantile and ridiculous. Times have changed I can guarantee you they will have moved with the times. Melva and Liz have both stated that. They know what their husbands stood for. Stick that crap in a box Rob and bury it.

In 2020 the International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN) based on an extensive study published in the Nature Journal has listed the Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area (TWWHA) as "in danger" - It lists the reasons for this listing is climate change and pressure from tourism. Commercial interests, encouraged by the Tasmanian Liberal Party, currently have 60 proposals for developments within the TWWHA - all to be built, maintained and serviced by helicopters. The impacts to wilderness value is still being assessed but just one small development at Lake Malbena has been assessed and identified as potentially destroying the outstanding natural and cultural values of the TWWHA by nearly 5000 hectares. That's just one out of 60. Pause and think about that and your own contribution by spreading the good word about wild places.

The mountains don't care for our vanity, they suffer because of it.
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby L_Cham_67 » Thu 15 Apr, 2021 11:54 am

Definitely a lot to consider.
I was shocked to learn that there were over 50 people camping at Shadow Lake during the March long weekend. That same weekend, there were 40 people up in the Tyndalls (I only know the number for the latter because I was there 2 weeks later and counted the logbook entries). There are bound to be plenty of other examples of overcrowded locations which are not capable of accommodating everyone.
doogs wrote:. Is there a way that you can password protect your youtube videos so that they can only be seen by your mates and people you want to allow viewing?
There is an option to set a video to Private, and then only those who receive a link to it can watch the video. I actually quite like this idea, especially for the off track or remote trips. Take the Tyndalls which I referred to earlier. I did do some filming while we were up there, but I don't want to post it, because that area could really do without the promotion. But my friend I went with probably wants to see the footage, so I may be able to just share it with him and other close friends.
tastrax wrote:. This is not because I want to keep them 'secret' or for the 'elite' walkers, its simply because the individual walker should know when they are capable of walking in these areas.

Yes I don't agree with the 'elitist' argument, and I think you've summed it up well here.
tastrax wrote:Learning from your own experience, I find, is better than 'blindly' following along behind others.

I like to do some research before a trip. Strange as it seems coming from me, I usually only watch other videos from places I've been before, because I also want to avoid that 'coaching', or 'How To' element. Some tips/advice are useful to know, but a step by step guide takes away the adventure, and I hope the stuff I publish doesn't come across that way. I generally just say what I'm thinking at the time, or make a bit of a statement on what I've done without huge amounts of detail. Given though, that I get told by quite a few people that videos like mine are helpful for their research into a walk, I guess some people must prefer the idea of getting a small taste of it before going.

stepbystep wrote:So advice for the OP - just pause for a bit until you're clearer in your thinking. You can de-activate your account for a while. You can change privacy settings. Curate your page. Perhaps just pause for a bit?

I neglected to mention this in the OP, but I did have a break of sorts over the summer as I had work commitments, and couldn't get out on walks as frequently. I think as you've said, it did give me time to do some reflection on whether or not I needed to continue. Reality is, I don't need to make the videos. It started when me and some friends did the Freycinet circuit many years back, and Youtube was the obvious handle/medium to share the videos with them. I found myself enjoying the filming and editing, so just kept it going. Over time though, the editing aspect became somewhat tedious. This summer was extremely refreshing in that I didn't have to worry about editing or uploading. Makes me wonder if the enjoyment I initially had with the videos has slowly faded over time. And that's just a selfish way of looking at things.

Anyway, there's still a bit of thinking to do, and I appreciate the replies and the PMs I received.
L_Cham_67
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby stu » Thu 15 Apr, 2021 11:57 am

Lol, says the guy with minimal experience who dropped his phone, didn't have a GPS, got lost & got helicoptered out of a walk he was 'supposedly' the first to do in a generation, give me a break :roll:
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mechanic-AL » Thu 15 Apr, 2021 12:57 pm

Hey Lucas

like others I applaud you for stopping to think about this issue.

Rather than just being a critic I would like to offer a suggestion that may possibly help you determine how you really feel about all this.

What if you were to make a video of one of your walks but the destination never gets mentioned. Doesnt have to be remote or rarely visited, could be Frenchmans Cap or the Southcoast Track. Main thing is no names.
The only other restriction I would suggest is no selfies. We dont get to see you above the knees ! Only a credit at the end of the clip.

I think even with these couple of restrictions there is still scope to make an entertaining video. Every single part of Tassie has some sort of pioneering,surveying,mining or pastoral back story. With references to some of these stories you could still be giving the destination away to those willing to do their own research and I'd bet that those who know where you are would still enjoy watching it. Filming flora and fauna endemic to the region you are in and providing a bit of info on it could add a bit of an educational slant to the production. Maybe even a bit of music on the soundtrack to fill in the gaps.

Then see how you feel about it.

Having taken away a big part of the responsibility of naming the destination and having eliminated any suggestion of self promotion do you still feel the same level of satisfaction in the final product as before ??

I'm guessing that you may still feel a strong sense of accomplishment where a more ego-centric filmaker may regard the whole thing as a waste of time.
Hope this helps in some way.

AL
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby grunter » Thu 15 Apr, 2021 1:37 pm

As stated there's a password only option to view a YouTube video. Maybe use for those sensitive areas filmed? I have followed your channel for a couple of years. It's helped me to realise what I can and probably can't do. What equipment to use and terrain I'll encounter etc... I like to research my walks and that includes video. Editing film is part of the fun. I always rewatch my videos, others and yours. Makes me wish I was back out there. If you stop YouTube, thank you for the time and effort you put into them.

A big problem is when mainstream media promotes these areas. Repost an awesome image. Intapeeps want to go then ie. The disappearing tarn.

I do like Rob's storytelling videos. Some are like watching a slow moving train wreck. But please stop the drone use.
grunter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby benfazza » Thu 15 Apr, 2021 9:01 pm

Taking it altogether, I do not think this Cradle Mountain district, including the Pelions and the innumerable lakes, can be surpassed by the alpine scenery in any part of Tasmania, and it will be a long time before it is desecrated by tourists of the vulgar sort, who demand to sit around and be entertained by jazz music and ice creams.

I love this quote, it's by Charles Whitham in 1920, who lived on the West Coast and enjoyed the scenery of the area immensely.

Lucas, your thoughtful question sits within the broader conundrum of how do we prevent relatively pristine environs from being trampled to death, and how 'I' as an individual fit into it all too. These are questions that have been around since Whitham's time, but answers remain elusive and solutions fiercely debated. Ecotourism is a double edged sword. It provides benefits such as employing locals and allowing people to experience areas that they may not have been able to do so without some form of assistance. Putting money into the pockets of locals dosent need further exploration, but the latter point of allowing a greater number of people seeing 'wild' areas has the benefits of providing more people with a greater sense of personal accomplishment and wellbeing. Allowing people to see 'wild' areas also increases their interest these areas and their propensity to want to conserve it. On the other hand, the problems with 'ecotourism' include environmental degradation, over crowding and the loss of that 'wilderness vibe' which is the very reason why many people want to visit these places to begin with.

From the information you have provided, it looks like you worked this summer on the Overland Track. No doubt whilst on track you thought to yourself " this is cool, but sh%t, I hope it doesn't happen to the Tyndalls!" Hence your thoughts turned to your YouTube Channel and the impact it may be having. Congratulations on having the courage to openly question your actions and expose yourself to critique.

So, do YouTube channels such as yours contribute to the degradation of pristine areas? Its difficult to answer. What can be said is that you do influence people to visit areas that may not otherwise be the case. For example, unless I viewed your videos on St Valentines Peak or Clear Hill (btw how it that conglomerate?!), I probably still would not have been to either of these places. Now, neither of these places are especially sensitive areas, but it highlights the fact your videos can influence people: I saw your video and went 'Hey, that looks like a nice walk', so off I went. But does this make it a bad thing? Did my visit contribute to environmental degradation? What about the positive aspects of my visit, such as the personal satisfaction and enhanced sense of wellbeing I got from going somewhere different, or the businesses I supported along the way (who doesn't like to smash a chocky milk after a walk!). And lets not forget you are not the first (or last) influencer out there. What exactly is an 'influencer' anyway? What about books such as 'The Abels' or the Chapman guides? No doubt these publications have influenced oodles people to visit areas that would have otherwise been the case. So do we round up all these books too and light a big bonfire DarkMofo style, and the only place where bushwalking in Tassie is discussed is between two people only in a dark ally at night? Even this very forum, influences people to seek new ground. How often do you read " Nice photos, I must get there some time". So where do we draw the line? And who gets to draw it?

I apologise but there are just more questions than answers here Lucas. As can be seen already on this thread, people have differing opinions based on their own individual perceptions, values and beliefs which then inform how they act and behave. Its fair to say though that no one on this forum would like to see vile tourists sitting atop Mt Tyndall eating ice cream and listening to jazz. Just how much a YouTube video contributes to this becoming more of a reality I believe is difficult to say.

Finally, if you, the people reading this thread and indeed myself are truely interested in protecting the Tasmanian environment, then as well as having robust discussions about social media usage, we should consider carefully the up coming Tasmanian state election and use our vote wisely. At the end of the day, how much of our awesome State get protected comes down to the decisions made the Government of the day, not by the number of times a YouTube video has been watched.

Good luck with your decision Lucas, I have enjoyed watching your videos and from them I can tell that you are a kind and considerate person who is deeply passionate about the Tasmanian wilderness.

Cheers
Ben
benfazza
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby north-north-west » Fri 16 Apr, 2021 7:16 am

benfazza wrote: Its fair to say though that no one on this forum would like to see vile tourists sitting atop Mt Tyndall eating ice cream and listening to jazz.

As long as they're using headphones ... a bit of Miles Davis on the Tyndalls would be Kind of Cool.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby L_Cham_67 » Sat 17 Apr, 2021 10:04 am

benfazza wrote: I have enjoyed watching your videos and from them I can tell that you are a kind and considerate person who is deeply passionate about the Tasmanian wilderness.
Ben

Thank you Ben, that's very kind of you to say. :)
benfazza wrote: And lets not forget you are not the first (or last) influencer out there. What exactly is an 'influencer' anyway? What about books such as 'The Abels' or the Chapman guides?

When I hear the word influencer, pictures of models in activewear holding up sponsored products which we can all get 10% off by using this code come to mind :lol:
Mechanic-AL wrote:
What if you were to make a video of one of your walks but the destination never gets mentioned. Doesnt have to be remote or rarely visited, could be Frenchmans Cap or the Southcoast Track. Main thing is no names.

Every single part of Tassie has some sort of pioneering,surveying,mining or pastoral back story. With references to some of these stories you could still be giving the destination away to those willing to do their own research and I'd bet that those who know where you are would still enjoy watching it. Filming flora and fauna endemic to the region you are in and providing a bit of info on it could add a bit of an educational slant to the production.

Like some of the other suggestions, these are quite good ideas, especially the educational slant. It's something I haven't done a lot of, but I'm certain people would find interesting and informative, if I'm to continue with the posting.
L_Cham_67
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby neilmny » Sat 17 Apr, 2021 6:12 pm

crollsurf wrote:

Ok Boomer

Boomer??????????? hold the phone what about the comment about 65+ don't get out in the bush. :evil:
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby bhogan » Sun 18 Apr, 2021 11:34 am

I don't think there's any real harm in the video's you make. Most people are inclined to stick to the well known and documented tracks before attempting anything else and I don't think you are responsible for the increased visitation on
those tracks! For people that have completed the well known tracks your video's may be a great resource for them when researching new places to explore and you would hope they follow the LNT principle as they are likely to be "somewhat" experienced. To be frank, there's a tonne of information around on the internet if you know where to look and this forum is no different and arguably more damaging when viewed through the same social media/sharing lens. I say keep doing what you enjoy.
bhogan
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby Krunel » Sun 18 Apr, 2021 7:21 pm

As I've gotten older and observed changes to fragile areas due to over-visitation, carelessness and exploitation: it's sorrow
Krunel
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby crollsurf » Sun 18 Apr, 2021 7:52 pm

neilmny wrote:
crollsurf wrote:

Ok Boomer

Boomer??????????? hold the phone what about the comment about 65+ don't get out in the bush. :evil:
I was stirring Rob Parsons, accusing him of behaving like a so called Boomer. Plus insults just discredit your argument.

+65, what about the +75s that are still doing multiday walks. I call them "The Indistructables".

It's turned into a very interesting Post otherwise

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby NickMonk » Mon 17 May, 2021 9:32 pm

There are numerous ways of making and editing a bushwalking YouTube video, Lucas, and I find yours in the least offensive category.

You don't give a huge amount away in them. They are less of a step-by-step guide, and more of a "you can see this".

Your reflection will no doubt style any future videos in direction towards addressing some of the issues that have been raised by you and others in this thread.

To be honest, I found the 'secret mountain huts' videos on kunanyi/Mt Wellington to be the ones I particularly disliked, as they are particularly attractive to bogan *&^%$#@!. Kara recently had a fire that could have burnt half the mountain down - due to careless discarding of ashes from the fireplace. This is why we can't have nice things. I realise you didn't publish directions, but it doesn't take much to find out enough info to find the huts once you've been 'inspired' by the "secret hut" allure. So please think of these sorts of things for the future. Your decision not to publish The Tyndalls is to be applauded. There is an assault there that is about to become a full scale battle.

Thanks for taking the time to seek comment. Appreciate it.
NickMonk
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Next

Return to Tasmania