Fairly easy walks?

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Fairly easy walks?

Postby Dexter » Wed 07 Jul, 2021 10:02 pm

Hey all, I was hoping to head to Tassie with some friends around Oct some time and perhaps do the three capes walk. Of course in these crazy times it's all booked out till mid Feb at this point. Is there any easy to intermediate level 1-3 night walks you could recommend? My friends are happy to camp it, but prefer loos (drop toilets etc) if possible. I was thinking something similar to Wilsons Prom level of difficulty and facilities would suit them. We'd likely take the spirit of tassie from Vic and bring a car along so should be able to make our way around relatively easily. Thanks heaps!
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Fairly easy walks?

Postby EGM » Wed 07 Jul, 2021 10:35 pm

The freycinet circuit sounds like what you're after but there is an abundance of 1-3 night walks all over the state.
EGM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Dexter » Wed 07 Jul, 2021 10:41 pm

EGM wrote:The freycinet circuit sounds like what you're after but there is an abundance of 1-3 night walks all over the state.

It's been a while but loved the freycinet area last time I was there. I'll have a look. Thanks heaps!
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Thornbill » Thu 08 Jul, 2021 9:21 am

You can still do the Cape Pillar/Mt Fortescue/Cape Hauy parts of the Three Capes Track (i.e. the best bits) for free with a tent. There are campsites with facilities at Wughalee Falls and Bare Knoll. It makes a nice easy circuit over a couple of days.
How would a cubist paint a flounder?
Thornbill
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby L_Cham_67 » Thu 08 Jul, 2021 10:24 am

Another option would be the Tasman Coastal Trail which runs from Tasman Arch through to Fortescue Bay. There's camping with a drop toilet at Bivouac Bay. Only downside with this walk is that if you only have one car, then you need to retrace your steps.
L_Cham_67
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Dexter » Thu 08 Jul, 2021 12:16 pm

Thornbill wrote:You can still do the Cape Pillar/Mt Fortescue/Cape Hauy parts of the Three Capes Track (i.e. the best bits) for free with a tent. There are campsites with facilities at Wughalee Falls and Bare Knoll. It makes a nice easy circuit over a couple of days.

I did wonder how much of it could be done on our own with tents. I'll look into it cheers!

L_Cham_67 wrote:Another option would be the Tasman Coastal Trail which runs from Tasman Arch through to Fortescue Bay. There's camping with a drop toilet at Bivouac Bay. Only downside with this walk is that if you only have one car, then you need to retrace your steps.

Yeah I would say we would have one car. I'll jot that one down too thanks! :) :)
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GregG » Thu 08 Jul, 2021 12:46 pm

Hi Dexter, I think Maria Island could be worth a look. You could do a fairly undemanding two or three days and camp at locations with toilets and water, even showers at one location. You can do Mt Maria if wanting to include something a bit more strenuous. I've been there several times and always had an enjoyable and relaxing time.
GregG
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Old bushie
Region: New South Wales

Postby Dexter » Thu 08 Jul, 2021 3:43 pm

That also looks promising. I'll have to see if anyone has mapped out any suggested routes to take. I had a look on trail hiking but only a couple of the day walks to certain points of interest were listed.
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby zacharycbruce » Mon 12 Jul, 2021 9:15 pm

Dexter wrote:That also looks promising. I'll have to see if anyone has mapped out any suggested routes to take. I had a look on trail hiking but only a couple of the day walks to certain points of interest were listed.

Parks and Wildlife https://parks.tas.gov.au/things-to-do/multi-day-walks has some pretty good information, if you start to like the sound of a particular area check to see if it's included in a TasMap "National Park, Walk & Recreation Map" https://www.tasmap.tas.gov.au/do/category/NATPARKDAYWALK which will give suggested routes. The walks on the peninsular and Maria Island both have maps.

It depends on what you want to get out of a walk, but Maria Island could be a good fit- you could base yourself in Darlington (with access to toilets) and do any of the various walks day walks from there depending on how challenged you want to be. Probably my favourite thing about Maria is the wildlife, wombats are absolutely everywhere (you'll see a dozen or more pretty much anywhere you stop and look around in the areas around Darlington), lots of pademelons, wallabies, different bird species (including lots of Cape Barren geese) etc.

You can see a lot of the island by bike, too, if you're in to that. Bikes can either be brought across or hired.
zacharycbruce
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Tasmania