3 season or 4 season

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

3 season or 4 season

Postby Montiemoo_123 » Sun 25 Jul, 2021 10:46 am

I want to buy a new tent and am keen on the Mont Moondance. My question is in Tassie am I better off buying the 4 season?
Montiemoo_123
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: 3 season or 4 season

Postby north-north-west » Sun 25 Jul, 2021 12:57 pm

Unless all your walking and camping are going to be low level in sheltered areas, the slight weight penalty for a 4 season tent is worthwhile.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Sun 25 Jul, 2021 1:50 pm

I have a moondance. It's excellent. Haven't been lucky to use it (at all really) in fun weather but it's as sturdy as any tent I've had. Know a couple of people with them that use them year round without complaint. Unless your going to be doing full on snow trips I can't see any issues.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tortoise » Sun 25 Jul, 2021 4:20 pm

ILUVSWTAS wrote:I have a moondance. It's excellent. Haven't been lucky to use it (at all really) in fun weather but it's as sturdy as any tent I've had. Know a couple of people with them that use them year round without complaint. Unless your going to be doing full on snow trips I can't see any issues.
:shock: I have a couple of friends with Moondances. It was the wind (change in direction and strength) that got them. It didn't shred the tents, but they described uncomfortable nights hanging onto poles and having the tent bop around the place, while I was snug and comfy in my Akto.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Azza » Mon 26 Jul, 2021 1:39 pm

Tortoise wrote:I have a couple of friends with Moondances. It was the wind (change in direction and strength) that got them. It didn't shred the tents, but they described uncomfortable nights hanging onto poles and having the tent bop around the place, while I was snug and comfy in my Akto

That is big question, I've been in the same situation with my old 3 season tent. No problem 90% of the time, but I did have at least a few nights where I had to hold onto the poles to stop it getting mangled.
I was alway wary when pitching high and exposed to consider the weather forecast and likelihood of getting smashed. I've pitched in some interesting places.
I've seen some good solid tents get mangled too.

But it depends a lot on what sort of walking you do, if its Overland and/or established camp sites with reasonable shelter then 3 season is generally ok.
If its perched on the summit of a mountain exposed to all and sundry or you want peice of mind - you probably want the 4 season.
Azza
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Tortoise » Mon 26 Jul, 2021 4:56 pm

Azza wrote:If its perched on the summit of a mountain exposed to all and sundry or you want peice of mind - you probably want the 4 season.
*Sigh* Pretty hard to beat those high camps - in good weather.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 28 Jul, 2021 10:15 am

This is a good review of tents like the Atko.
https://wildwalkinguk.com/2020/01/06/te ... ser-pulse/
I liked the bag size comparison. This
https://www.chrisensoll.com/chris-ensol ... eberg-akto
reviews the Atko and Laser Competition.

As Tassie has strong winds and snow down to low levels, a stable tent that will stay up in windy conditions and manage snow is necessary except for walks at low levels in summer. I've had snow on the Central Plateau at Christmas-NY, quite brisk. Azza has good advice - think of the 10% of the time when the weather is bad. Also, the vestibule needs to be big enough for cooking. While satisfactory in all other aspects, my Laser Competition has a vestibule that's a bit small, although when cooking I pull back the inner.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Return to Tasmania