One of the 3 Capes in a Day? Which one and how?

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

One of the 3 Capes in a Day? Which one and how?

Postby Nik » Sun 21 Nov, 2021 9:21 am

Hi,

We're not bringing our normal set of walking gear down for the Christmas break this year. So I wanted to know which of the 3 capes can be walked in a day for the most spectacular end point. We dont mind a very long day but would need a return walk so we can get back to our van.

What's the get in point and is there any navigation traps we'd need to be aware of?

Cheers
Nik
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: One of the 3 Capes in a Day? Which one and how?

Postby north-north-west » Sun 21 Nov, 2021 11:07 am

Probably more people do Cape Hauy as a daywalk than as part of the circuit. Pillar is possible as an out and back via the old inland track at Fortescue Bay, but it's a very long day, albeit shorter than when I did it (before the new track) with a full pack and a gale out at the end.. My favourite, however, is Raoul.
They all have great views and it's a bit of a toss-up whether one is better than the others. Raoul also has other walk options from the start, including Shipstern and the Tunnel Bay loop, and Fortescue has both the campground and the start of the rest of the Coastal Track.

Hauy starts at the carpark at the end of the road (gravel from the highway) at Fortescue Bay. The inland track to Pillar is about 300m up the road. Raoul is a longer drive (Stormlea area) but the access road is usually in better nick than Fortescue.

All the tracks are obvious, usually well maintained and easy to follow even in diabolical conditions, but Pillar and Raoul are both very exposed to the wind.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Mechanic-AL » Sun 21 Nov, 2021 12:02 pm

Cape Raoul would be my choice too. But Cape Hauy if it's howling westerly.
"What went ye out into the wilderness to see?
A reed shaken in the wind"?
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Mechanic-AL » Sun 21 Nov, 2021 12:11 pm

If you want to get a good look at Cape Pillar and Tasman Island then take a drive up the Palmers Lookout Road. The lookout itself has been closed for years but if you keep an eye out for the old carpark on the left as you are going up its still possible to get an awesome view from there.
"What went ye out into the wilderness to see?
A reed shaken in the wind"?
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby myrtlegirl » Sun 21 Nov, 2021 7:06 pm

The Three Capes 3 night walk actually only goes to 2 capes, Pillar and Huay. The third cape on the Tasman Peninsula is Raoul, and I'd recommend this one as the pick for a daywalk. If you go out to Raoul, popping out to Shipstern's Bluff and Tunnel Bay are options on the way out or in. Shipstern's is amazing to see when the swell is up.

Number one tip: go as early in the day as possible to avoid the hordes. It's insane how many walkers are out these days!

Getting lost on these tracks would be quite difficult, you'll be fine. Finding the start of the Raoul track is the hardest bit, the roads are signposted but they aren't major roads.
myrtlegirl
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Graham51 » Fri 03 Dec, 2021 7:16 pm

If you are reasonably fit I would recommend a day trip out to Cape Pillar. I did it last February - in via the track on the highway side of Fortescue Bay and back out over Mt Fortescue. We skipped Cape Hauy. Doing it this way was 38 kilometres and took us just under 9 hours total - just under 8 hours moving time. It would be quicker if you went in and out the same way but not much shorter.
Of the other two capes I prefer Cape Raoul, which also gives you the options of Shipstern and Tunnel Bay as has already been said.
Graham51
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Tasmania