Desktop version
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.

Forum rules

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.
Post a reply

Junction Hut - Lake Artemis route

Sun 30 Jan, 2022 9:44 am

Has anyone recently walked from Junction Lake to Lake Artemis?
If so, is the cairn still on the bank to locate the start of the track?
I last did this about 8 years ago (the reverse Travellers Range to Junction Lake) and the pad was becoming very overgrown and was quite hard to follow.
Cheers
Chris

Re: Junction Hut - Lake Artemis route

Sun 30 Jan, 2022 10:17 am

Depends on what you call recently. I did this last March and the pad was quite obvious and easy to follow. If you managed to find you way to Junction Lake from the Traveller Range it should be a piece of cake in reverse.

Sun 30 Jan, 2022 10:19 am

Thanks Mechanic-AL

Wed 02 Feb, 2022 6:25 am

I was at Junction Lake 2 days ago and when I left I was aiming for Lake Meston but I found myself on the Lake Artemis track, so I would call it a clear track at that point at least.

Wed 02 Feb, 2022 6:20 pm

Pink Cap wrote:I was at Junction Lake 2 days ago and when I left I was aiming for Lake Meston but I found myself on the Lake Artemis track, so I would call it a clear track at that point at least.

To be heading for Lake Artemis when you were shooting for Lake Meston would mean you were heading in almost the opposite direction to the way you wanted to be going and you would have had to cross the Mersey River when you didnt need to. Sure you were looking at the right map ?

Thu 03 Feb, 2022 7:24 am

It was three or four years ago that we were there, but we found the Artemis track easy to follow at least as far as the (sort of) pass on the track (about half way along) where we turned off-track to visit Ling Roth Lakes.

Tue 22 Feb, 2022 10:00 am

I've just completed the traverse from Junction Lake - Artemis - Merope - Travellers Range to Ducane Gap in somewhat dubious weather.
There's a not so obvious faded pink tape marking the start of the pad immediately below Junction Hut to Artemis. The pad is very clear and obvious now.

Mon 28 Feb, 2022 6:38 pm

legend wrote:I've just completed the traverse from Junction Lake - Artemis - Merope - Travellers Range to Ducane Gap in somewhat dubious weather.
There's a not so obvious faded pink tape marking the start of the pad immediately below Junction Hut to Artemis. The pad is very clear and obvious now.

Out of interest, roughly how long did it take you from Junction Lake to DuCane Gap? I'm heading in soon and combining it with a DuCane Traverse (including out to Nereus).

Tue 01 Mar, 2022 1:25 pm

Out of interest, roughly how long did it take you from Junction Lake to DuCane Gap? I'm heading in soon and combining it with a DuCane Traverse (including out to Nereus).[/quote]

I would allow two days (around 14-16 hours) depending on visibility and weather. There's no such thing as walking a straight line up there with LOTS of obstacles (Fagus, tarns, boulders, etc).

Tue 01 Mar, 2022 2:06 pm

We did this route in reverse from Windy Ridge but we left at 7.30am and arrives at Lake Artemis at 6.30pm. We hit some bad scrub on the northern side of Metrope which you should avoid! We had reasonable weather and stayed at Windy Ridgde to avoid a storm. If the weather is great then stay up on the traveller for a night just above Du Cane Gap for some great views.
Post a reply