Federation Peak 25/3

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Federation Peak 25/3

Postby lefroy » Tue 22 Mar, 2022 4:41 pm

Federation Peak Friday 25/3 to Sunday 27/3
My bud from Syd has been caught up in covid dramas and can't fly down. I was hell bent on doing Fed from cutting camp and wondered who else will be in the area. I don't need a baby sitter just seeing who was going to be around. Haven't been up there before and it's not an ideal solo walk for a first time visitor. Long shot huh? DM me if interesested.Weather is looking unreal! Lefroy
lefroy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Federation Peak 25/3

Postby Tortoise » Tue 22 Mar, 2022 5:37 pm

Sorry I can't help with that.

If it's any reassurance, I'd do it again from Cutting Camp. I'm slow, and it took 5 of us 12.5 hours return. Moss Ridge is indeed much better with a day pack than a full pack. We waited around more than usual on Bechervaise Plateau, hoping the rain would stop.

There aren't a whole lot of cairns on the direct ascent, so it's tricker to find the route with only one pair of eyes. Have a good look around if you can't see the way ahead. And look up. There's more than one possible route in a couple of places.

All the best!
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby lefroy » Tue 22 Mar, 2022 6:34 pm

Thanks Tortoise, I did follow your trip report it definitely looks fun! Yeah I'm not concerned about the trip so much its more like you say, an extra set of eyes and some one to share the summit with! I'll keep my fingers crossed...
lefroy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby CBee » Wed 23 Mar, 2022 7:33 am

There are two schools of thought about moss ridge: cutting camp to summit and back in one long day with light pack or heavy pack up the ridge to camp at Berchavaise to soak the "altitude". I'm wondering about other's opinion here.
CBee
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby biggbird » Wed 23 Mar, 2022 2:40 pm

We stayed at Cutting, took full packs up Moss Ridge, climbed Feder that afternoon, stayed at Bechervaise and then walked out to the car from Bechervaise. Definitely enjoyed staying at Bechervaise and would happily do again. Cutting is dark and full of skeeters. Not a bad campsite at all, just that I preferred Bechervaise with the views etc!
biggbird

Postby lefroy » Wed 23 Mar, 2022 2:56 pm

Thanks for the memories everyone. Who's coming though? I want my own memories to look back on! Don't make me take my kids up there!
lefroy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Azza » Wed 23 Mar, 2022 2:59 pm

Berchavaise gives you the option to sit out the weather and go for a summit dash when it's clear.
It can be clagged in one minute and clear the next...
Coming from the valley you have no view of the summit until partway up Moss Ridge.
The weather changes throughout the day, unless you've got a stella forecast going from the base means its a bit of a one shot at success.
Azza

Postby lefroy » Wed 13 Apr, 2022 8:44 pm

update, got up there from Cutting. weather played nice. would love to check out Hanging Lake next time. what a view!!!
lefroy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tortoise » Wed 13 Apr, 2022 8:55 pm

lefroy wrote:update, got up there from Cutting. weather played nice. would love to check out Hanging Lake next time. what a view!!!

Excellent! Did you end up finding anyone else or doing it solo? I can highly recommend Hanging Lake and Geeves Bluff. We went in last time via the Eastern Arthurs, which was brilliant.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby lefroy » Wed 13 Apr, 2022 9:00 pm

Sent you a PM Tortoise. cheers
lefroy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Tasmania