Hiking track maps

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Hiking track maps

Postby WestcoastPete » Thu 24 Mar, 2022 2:59 pm

I've got the books and know where to look on the internet, but it would be really cool to have a physical map I can look at that has Tassie hiking tracks on it so that I can see where they are in relation to each other. I'm thinking mostly about those on the plateau from like, Higgs Track over to those in Cradle/Lake St Clair. Does such a map exist? I've had a bit of a search on here for a similar thread but can't find one.

Thanks
WestcoastPete
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Hiking track maps

Postby north-north-west » Thu 24 Mar, 2022 4:00 pm

You don't know ListMap? There are tracks that aren't on official maps because TasPAWS prefers them not to be publicised, but the combo of the scanned maps and topos on ListMap shows most of the major options. And it's free.

https://maps.thelist.tas.gov.au/listmap/app/list/map

(note: online access only, but you can print out sections for walks when needed)
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby WestcoastPete » Thu 24 Mar, 2022 4:14 pm

Yeah I'm aware of it but it wasn't front of mind. Thanks for the reminder. I am hoping for a map I can put on the wall or table though. Maybe such a thing doesn't exist
WestcoastPete
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Warin » Thu 24 Mar, 2022 4:51 pm

Such a thing could be made from OSM data ... officeworks could then print it out in the size you want.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby bumpingbill » Fri 25 Mar, 2022 10:03 am

Warin wrote:Such a thing could be made from OSM data ... officeworks could then print it out in the size you want.

Have you got any links/resources to where I could start learning about this? I've dabbled a bit with QGIS, but would love to play more with the OSM dataset.
bumpingbill
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby biggbird » Fri 25 Mar, 2022 10:30 am

You could just buy a few 1:100ks?
biggbird
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Warin » Fri 25 Mar, 2022 11:51 am

biggbird wrote:You could just buy a few 1:100ks?

The advantage of DIY is you get to put emphasis where you want it .. on the walking tacks.

OSM is a many headed beast!

At its basic level it is a data base not a map. People take that information and 'render' (make) maps from it.

If you want to DIY then start very small ... geting the whole of the Tasmanian data is going to be a lot of data, best if you get a small bit and experiment with that. Google 'Making a map from OSM data' has a few million links..
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Fri 25 Mar, 2022 1:25 pm

biggbird wrote:You could just buy a few 1:100ks?

There are tracks they don't show.

The best thing about ListMap is that you can zoom into the 1:25,000 scanned maps or use the Topo layer. There are tracks on each that don't show on the other. And at least one track that only shows on the 1:100,000.
Of course, there are some fairly well-known routes - even taped pads - that aren't on either layer, but it's as good as it gets.

OSM also doesn't show some tracks and routes I would have expected to be on there, such as Cuvier Valley. Nothing is perfect.

bumpingbill wrote:
Warin wrote:Such a thing could be made from OSM data ... officeworks could then print it out in the size you want.

Have you got any links/resources to where I could start learning about this? I've dabbled a bit with QGIS, but would love to play more with the OSM dataset.

If you have a Garmin GPS, start with andrewp's Garmin set-up.

https://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=28893 (go to the end of the thread and find the latest version).
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Warin » Fri 25 Mar, 2022 4:51 pm

north-north-west wrote:OSM also doesn't show some tracks and routes I would have expected to be on there, such as Cuvier Valley. Nothing is perfect.

Anyone is free to add things .. provided it is not from a copyright source .. e.g. not LIST!
Things can be added using your own GPS track from walking the route.

'Off track' features can be added too - cairns for instance. These are not often rendered.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby tastrax » Fri 25 Mar, 2022 9:18 pm

Also remember not every track NEEDS to be on a map. There are areas where Parks manage the place for those that like off track walking with minimal infrastructure and help (and that includes maps). Its all part of providing a spectrum of opportunities from high class nature trails to 'wilderness wanders'. The same goes for promotion of remote and/or untracked areas.

Rule 24 Avoid posting detailed information on accessing sensitive areas without recognised tracks to public topics, but rather use private messages, email, or other non-public means to communicate such information instead. Feel free to ask questions about such areas publicly, so long as the post includes a reminder of this rule to get answers privately only.
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby tastrax » Fri 25 Mar, 2022 9:23 pm

PS - there are also lots of phone apps for walking if you are that way inclined.
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby hutfinder » Mon 28 Mar, 2022 7:36 am

tastrax wrote:PS - there are also lots of phone apps for walking if you are that way inclined.

Would be keen to hear any recommendations on apps worth using!
"The clearest way into the universe is through a forest wilderness."
hutfinder
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Warin » Mon 28 Mar, 2022 8:48 am

hutfinder wrote:
tastrax wrote:PS - there are also lots of phone apps for walking if you are that way inclined.

Apple or Android?
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby hutfinder » Mon 28 Mar, 2022 9:33 am

Warin wrote:
hutfinder wrote:

Apple or Android?

Apple please :)
hutfinder
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 28 Mar, 2022 10:17 am

bumpingbill wrote:

If you're into QGIS, you can load up all of the LIST data from the Tasmanian government on that. Either as raster services (such as WMTS) or as vector (download from LIST OpenData, Transport segments (includes, roads, tracks, etc).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 28 Mar, 2022 10:20 am

hutfinder wrote:Apple please :)

I like 'Bit Map'. But I wrote it, so I'm biased. :-) For more info, see: https://nixanz.com/bitmap/

It includes quite a bit of GIS functionality in addition to being a mapping/navigation app, so there's a bit of a learning curve. But there's a fairly comprehensive user manual online, as well as instructions on how to add a lot of Tasmanian (LIST) layers into the app (see the "Resources" page). The app is designed for you to configure and/or upload your own data/layers, but it has OSM built in by default. It can track you as you walk/drive and save it to a layer. It can also display layers from all sorts of spatial data formats (Shapefile, fGDB, KML, GPX, etc).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby hutfinder » Mon 28 Mar, 2022 10:53 am

Son of a Beach wrote:
hutfinder wrote:Apple please :)

I like 'Bit Map'. But I wrote it, so I'm biased. :-) For more info, see: https://nixanz.com/bitmap/

It includes quite a bit of GIS functionality in addition to being a mapping/navigation app, so there's a bit of a learning curve. But there's a fairly comprehensive user manual online, as well as instructions on how to add a lot of Tasmanian (LIST) layers into the app (see the "Resources" page). The app is designed for you to configure and/or upload your own data/layers, but it has OSM built in by default. It can track you as you walk/drive and save it to a layer. It can also display layers from all sorts of spatial data formats (Shapefile, fGDB, KML, GPX, etc).

I'll check it out, thank you!
hutfinder
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Tasmania