Labyrinth to Minotaur

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Labyrinth to Minotaur

Postby bluewombat » Sat 16 Apr, 2022 4:27 pm

Hi all
The Abels Vol 1 mentions a partially cairned route from the Pine Valley track up to Labyrinth over to the Minotaur saddle. I am interested in knowing if the cairns start in the general vicinity of where you first pop up onto the plateau of the Labyrinth, and how easy it is to follow this route over to the Gould/Minotaur saddle
cheers
BW

PS mods if you think this counts as a sensitive area discussion please delete the thread
Even a long life is short
HPB
bluewombat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Labyrinth to Minotaur

Postby Tortoise » Sat 16 Apr, 2022 7:01 pm

Hi BW. I haven't followed the pad yet, but I've checked out the start a couple of times. There's a cairn and a decent looking pad where you suggest.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby creeping_moses » Sun 17 Apr, 2022 6:16 am

There is an obvious track heading south from the place you describe ('where you first pop up onto the plateau of the Labyrinth'). It is well cairned through to The MInotaur and then it is open walking towards The Guardians and/or across the saddle to Mt Gould. We went through here in the opposite direction in January '22.
creeping_moses
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Twilson » Sun 17 Apr, 2022 2:57 pm

Hi,

Here's a like to a trip report I posted back in 2020.
https://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=30951
It's pretty light on detail re: route finding to the minotaur but one of the photos I included has my avenza route plotted on it. I've since lost the GPX file

From memory the pad was pretty easy to find and follow from where you first break out into the open after ascending from PV. When you get to the business part of climbing there's not too much in the way of alternative routes.

There's a good size cairn at the top exit of the boulder field you negotiate to access the NE ascent of Gould too

Hope that helps the planning! Gould plateau is a great spot to pitch a tent.
Twilson
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Tasmania