Lake St Clair National Park Bookings

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Lake St Clair National Park Bookings

Postby J R Walken » Thu 17 Nov, 2022 10:57 pm

Is OLT booking required to summit the Acropolis and the Minotaur? I'm starting my trek in the Walls of Jerusalem National Park and will make my way to Ducane Gap via the Traveller's Range.
J R Walken
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Lake St Clair National Park Bookings

Postby phATty » Fri 18 Nov, 2022 4:39 pm

Not for summiting either but you might get pulled up between Du Cane Gap and the Pine Valley turn off. The rangers should be okay with it, maybe just give Parks an email before you do it or just tell the ranger what you're up to if they catch you in between.
phATty
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tasmanian University Bushwalking Club
Region: Tasmania

Postby L_Cham_67 » Fri 18 Nov, 2022 6:04 pm

That itinerary is perfectly fine, just as long as you don't head north up the Overland past the Du Cane Gap/Hartnett Falls area. As mentioned above, I would let Parks know - I think there's an Overland Track administrator email you can use to notify them. This then gets passed on to the track rangers so they are informed about your intentions.
L_Cham_67
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby J R Walken » Fri 18 Nov, 2022 6:28 pm

Thanks, I will flick them an email in advance. Is there a recommended circuit/direction to doing the Acropolis/Minotaur? I was planning on first summiting the Acropolis from Pine Valley and then heading south along the Ducane Range to summit Minotaur/Mt Gould and then hooking it out to Narcissus. I've heard mixed reports about these peaks and I wonder if they are better summitted as part of a day trip (with a light pack) as opposed to a traverse with full kit.
J R Walken
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Postby eggs » Fri 18 Nov, 2022 7:33 pm

Acropolis is a day trip from Pine Valley hut.
It is the opposite direction from the hut heading up towards the Labyrinth, which is where you would branch off to the Minotaur.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby Lostsoul » Sat 19 Nov, 2022 1:01 pm

You don’t need permission to do that portion of the walk,done it many times and run into rangers along the way.Just have a parks pass and you’re good to go,some will try to discourage you from camping in certain areas but they don’t have much power to do anything really.
Lostsoul
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Tasmania