Cynthia Bay Ferry

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Cynthia Bay Ferry

Postby Tortoise » Mon 04 Dec, 2023 6:51 pm

Thanks, Al! Yep, I have enjoyed the walk many times (I personally don't find rainforest or lovely beaches with views of dramatic mountains boring), but we don't always have the extra time to also get to our destination. It means I've had to can trips, had to cut one short, and been left up in the air and unnecessarily stressed on many occasions. It's a very poor ending to the OLT for some of the folks who were promised 'one of the world's great wilderness bushwalks'. Bad taste in mouth at the end. :(
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby north-north-west » Mon 04 Dec, 2023 7:15 pm

Mechanic-AL wrote:Total of 4 on-line attempts, 5 phone calls and 1 email so far and still no booking.

How hard can it be ?

The usual problem with monopolies: it's a captive audience so they don't care.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Mechanic-AL » Mon 04 Dec, 2023 8:03 pm

Monopoly or not all those unanswered booking requests equal money that could be going into their bank account that isn't. Are they really making that much money that they don't care about the thousands of dollars they are missing out on each year ? :shock:

I've always thought that Lake St Clair must be one of Tasmania's biggest disappointments to a lot of tourists. After waddling from the car park to the Lake shore the views are quite limited. A lot of them are short stop day trippers who couldn't be buggered walking up the lake too far or driving down to Pump House Point for a better look. so they only see a small fraction of the whole deal. Maybe that's not such a bad thing but I can't help thinking that there is a gold mine waiting to be tapped for some one willing to provide a better service (not just for walkers) than what exists.
"What went ye out into the wilderness to see?
A reed shaken in the wind"?
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Lostsoul » Wed 06 Dec, 2023 4:44 am

Tortoise wrote:
tastrax wrote:I strongly suggest that anyone who has a poor experience write to the folks that manage the leases and licences in Parks - [email protected]

Thanks for the link, Phil. It still works. I sent an email yesterday, and got a response today from the Senior Property Officer. He said they will follow it up with the operator. I suspect it will carry more weight if more people send emails with their negative experiences. Send 'em in, folks!

Sent an email as well and got a reply today…Everyone get emailing and hopefully we can make a change
Lostsoul
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MrWalker » Wed 06 Dec, 2023 7:04 am

Mechanic-AL wrote:I've always thought that Lake St Clair must be one of Tasmania's biggest disappointments to a lot of tourists. After waddling from the car park to the Lake shore the views are quite limited. A lot of them are short stop day trippers who couldn't be buggered walking up the lake too far or driving down to Pump House Point for a better look. so they only see a small fraction of the whole deal. Maybe that's not such a bad thing but I can't help thinking that there is a gold mine waiting to be tapped for some one willing to provide a better service (not just for walkers) than what exists.

I've taken the ferry one way and walked back, and I felt that the views of the mountains from the middle of the lake were absolutely amazing. Whereas the walk down the lake is through nice enough rainforest, but there are other places to find that with less effort. And you don't get many views of the lake from that walk.

I had hoped that when Pumphouse Point opened they would run boat tours up the lake, but they don't seem to be taking that opportunity. Having the ferry mainly for OLT walkers going one way seems inefficient, so there must be possibilities to run a trip for people who want a ride both ways, with a day walk up at the top of the lake.
MrWalker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Rexyviney36 » Mon 18 Dec, 2023 9:38 am

Sorry if this has been asked before, but is it possible to launch your own boat and park it at Narcissus while you walk to Pine Valley for example? Was thinking it could be moored upstream of the hut and out of site, but not sure if there are regs against it.
Rexyviney36
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby headwerkn » Mon 18 Dec, 2023 10:22 am

Rexyviney36 wrote:Sorry if this has been asked before, but is it possible to launch your own boat and park it at Narcissus while you walk to Pine Valley for example? Was thinking it could be moored upstream of the hut and out of site, but not sure if there are regs against it.

To my knowledge there's nothing stopping you parking a small boat anywhere, other than concerns of theft or tampering perhaps. We've left my father's boat at Ida Bay for 36 hrs, however he wasn't keen on having it parked up near Narcissus for 3-4 days due to the amount of expensive electronics and other gear in it. You'd think bushwalkers would have zero interest in adding extra weight to their packs and stealing a depth sounder or life jacket, but it's a weird world full of weird people.

** ADDENDUM: mooring your own boat at the jetty at Narcissus for more than a few minutes would be an issue - for hopefully obvious reasons. **

Upstream of Narcissus might be tricky unless your boat is tiny, but there's a good inlet west of the main Narcissus River outlet where a dingy could be reasonably hidden from all and sundry. If you're truly paranoid you could park on the eastern side of the river mouth and make your way back up to the track, though I suspect PWS would take more issue with substantial off-track walking so close to the OLT.

For a time I was seriously looking at getting a cheap dingy with a lock up cabinet in the bow primarily for the purposes of getting to Narcissus without needing to deal with the ferry. In the end I got a packraft instead :-p at least that doesn't need registration on a trailer.
Last edited by headwerkn on Mon 18 Dec, 2023 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
headwerkn

Postby Rexyviney36 » Mon 18 Dec, 2023 10:24 am

Thanks Ben. I've emailed PWS as well.
Rexyviney36
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 18 Dec, 2023 12:11 pm

I rafted up and down the (flat part of) the Narcissus River last week. I was surprised at how shallow it is, even close to where it flows into the lake. The ferry must have a very shallow draft, and the skipper must have good knowledge of where the (slightly deeper) channel is. Of course a small dinghy would not have a problem with this.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby headwerkn » Mon 18 Dec, 2023 1:24 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:The ferry must have a very shallow draft, and the skipper must have good knowledge of where the (slightly deeper) channel is.

Likely the latter. Drop offs and pickups to Ida Bay were ended after too many dinged/bent props.

Even with an 11' Stacer I had to kill and lift the outboard 30-40m out and gondola-ole our way to shore.
headwerkn

Previous

Return to Tasmania