Fagus near lake thor or north of the Walls of Jerusalem

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Fagus near lake thor or north of the Walls of Jerusalem

Postby kwad12 » Wed 29 Mar, 2023 10:36 pm

Hi all,
I am heading to the walls of jerusalem in late april and really hoping to see some fagus. I was planning on walking a circuit either north of the walls to explore the central plateau and valley, or south towards the mountains of jupiter. I know of fagus around the chinaman's plains towards the mountains of jupiter, but I was wondering if anybody knew if I might be able to find some north of the walls, potentially around lake thor or surrounds?

Thank you! :D

P.S In keeping with the forum rules, I apologize if I am providing sensitive information about the park/asking for sensitive information, if so I will remove the post.
kwad12
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Fagus near lake thor or north of the Walls of Jerusalem

Postby farefam » Tue 04 Apr, 2023 11:55 pm

It is a long time since I have walked through that area, but I don't recall there being much fagus in those parts.
farefam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Wed 05 Apr, 2023 6:22 pm

Clumner, Thor, Mersey Crag, Richea Ridge ... not much if any. Mountains of Jupiter and Orion Lakes are good, however, and if you go that way it's worth a short detour down to Clarke Falls which is stunning when the fagus is turning. There are also patches below Turrana Bluff, between the ridge and Lake Lexie area.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby kwad12 » Wed 05 Apr, 2023 8:38 pm

north-north-west wrote:Clumner, Thor, Mersey Crag, Richea Ridge ... not much if any. Mountains of Jupiter and Orion Lakes are good, however, and if you go that way it's worth a short detour down to Clarke Falls which is stunning when the fagus is turning. There are also patches below Turrana Bluff, between the ridge and Lake Lexie area.

Thank you! I don't plan on heading all the way down to the Mountains of Jupiter, unless its doable as a daytrip from Meston? I will keep an eye out around Turrana though! :D
kwad12
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Return to Tasmania