Winter walks around Hobart?

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Winter walks around Hobart?

Postby Ms_Mudd » Thu 06 Apr, 2023 8:44 pm

I have signed on to work out of Hobart this Winter.

I may have a single day off each week or if lucky, 2x consecutive days. I will have my own transport and will bring my walking gear with me. I do go out in Winter up here (it snows) but not keen on anything too "out there" so far south.

Thoughts on walks day, or quickish overnighters within reasonable distance of Hobart?

Have looked at Parks site and became excitedly overwhelmed with options, so a local's perspective would be great. My only firm thought so far has been Maria Island.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Winter walks around Hobart?

Postby north-north-west » Thu 06 Apr, 2023 9:38 pm

Tasman NP has lots of daywalks - Cape Raoul, Cape Hauy, Lime Bay, Stinking Bay, Mt Brown and Crescent Bay, Macgregor (a number of routes), Deep Glen Bay, Cape Surville, various bits of beach, etc etc. There's a track all the way from the Blowhole down to Fortescue Bay (longish two days to go down and back) and that links with the Cape Pillar circuit (part of 3 Capes that can be done free as an overnighter).
kunanyi-Mt Wellington has tracks all over the place and there are so many options up there, snow or not.
Mt Field is great any time of year and there are good daywalks as well as overnight options.
Bruny Island has some good daywalk options. East Cloudy is marvellous.
Understandable if you'd rather avoid the more exposed ranges (although it wouldn't be hard to borrow snowshoes while you're here :wink: ), but many of them have tracks that can be followed part way: Lake Skinner up in the Snowy Range, for instance, or the lakes at Hartz.
Even the SW has options in reasonable weather - Needles, Tim Shea, Sentinels, Twelvetrees, Eliza, Lake Mudd ...
Mt Dromedary and Platform Peak near New Norfolk.
Waterfalls all over the place - just google "waterfalls of Tasmania" and go for it.

Snow generally isn't a problem until later in winter and quite often we get extended periods of clear, settled weather in May and June; it's a great period for visiting some peaks.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Re: Winter walks around Hobart?

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 07 Apr, 2023 8:13 am

Snow shoes! I have never been snow-shoeing but it is high on my list of things to try. I had looked at purchasing some myself for use at home, but think they would get once a year use at best.

Thank you NNW- just having someone who "knows" throwing some ideas out there is great and allows me to focus in my research more than I was able to.
I was on Bruny a few weeks ago and only walked Fluted Cape, would be very keen to head back.

Who would think I would be so excited to head to work?!
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to Tasmania