Devils Throne

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Devils Throne

Postby PeterJ » Wed 19 May, 2010 9:32 pm

On Monday 17 May 2010
This walk was scheduled on the BWT site

This was just a delightful day on the summit area of Wellington Park. It was cold and foggy in the valleys below and a touch of frost present in the shadows along the way, but being so still the made us feel quite warm ans we walked along beside Thark Ridge to cross the high saddle and descent to Devils throne. The track was very wet and we had to dodge the frequent pools of water but the views were splendid and it was ever so peaceful in the bush. The return was via Roaring Creek and Thark Ridge.
IMG_3611 Collins Bonnet.JPG
Collins Bonnet from Devils Throne
IMG_3611 Collins Bonnet.JPG (115.4 KiB) Viewed 7560 times
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Devils Throne

Postby stepbystep » Thu 20 May, 2010 9:15 am

Nice one Peter, sorry I missed it - work has been crazy lately, hoping to do something during the week next week, maybe Snowy Sth - no doubt the weather will be atrocious!
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby abowen » Thu 20 May, 2010 10:29 am

Nice walk Peter,
Whenever I have been out that way, there has always been some argument as to which of the two prominent bluffs is the 'Throne'. I have always elected the more northern one, as there is a fairly well trodden pad out this way. Can you confirm whether this is correct or is it the more southern prominence?
Cheers
Andrew
Recent Walks:
Mt Gell
abowen
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby PeterJ » Thu 20 May, 2010 5:02 pm

abowen wrote:Nice walk Peter,
Whenever I have been out that way, there has always been some argument as to which of the two prominent bluffs is the 'Throne'. I have always elected the more northern one, as there is a fairly well trodden pad out this way. Can you confirm whether this is correct or is it the more southern prominence?
Cheers
Andrew

I have always been happy to just go to the most used cliff edge but like you have never been sure which part is the actual Devils Throne. It could be the somewhat lower prominence, but I have never ventured over to it. Perhaps I will next time. Yoyu can see by this link to the map where I went and also the next blob

I have often gone out to other cliff edges a bit further north just to enjoy the place.
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby PeterJ » Sun 11 Apr, 2021 8:48 pm

There is now a new track from Thark Ridge to Devils Throne. On reaching the prominent saddle on Thark Ridge the new track is some 50 metres further south, where it then heads west for 730 metres to join the existing track to Devils Throne.
The new track is a safer walk and with a better environmental outcome. The old way went over large boulders that can be dangerous and had parts that had become degraded.
This is the culmination of efforts of the Friends of Wellington Park over 11 years in the Thark Ridge and Devils Throne area. Initially this was clearing and installing marker poles on the section of Thark Ridge south from the saddle towards Mount Montagu. Then followed rerouting of three sections of track between Big Bend and the saddle. We then moved to the Devils Throne Track where a reroute to avoid a wet plain was carried out and the remainder of the track to Devils Throne cleared. Finally, this rerouted connecting track between Thark Ridge and Devils Throne was done.
For more information go to this webpage.
https://sites.google.com/view/tharkdevi ... evils-link
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby SueOfTheSouth » Thu 15 Apr, 2021 4:47 pm

Well done Friends of Wellington Park, I look forward to checking it out.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
SueOfTheSouth
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Tasmania